New from Minneapolis

What's going on everybody? Figured I'd join the boards to communicate with other film makers and writers like myself. Really looking forward to utilizing any wisdom you guys/gals have in the process of making movies and writing scripts. I've been writing for a few years now, picked it up on my own before I went back to school for it. I use a canon t1i and recently obtained a go pro 3 (white). I plan on doing a video of my my girlfriend on her motorcycle (Triumph Daytona 675) but, I've never shot something like this before. I know what kind of theme I want, music, look to the movie and all, but I was wondering if any of you have experience in shooting a motorcycle in action? If so, what are some tips you can lend?

:welcome:

You'll probably want to mount that go pro to several different locations on the bike, not just a handlebar mount pointing back at her face.. probably want something toward the front wheel/ground, maybe a shot of her hand on the accelerator, a shot of her hand on the clutch, foot on the shifter, etc.

Also, use a chase car and get some shots with your t1i as she zooms past, as you zoom past, etc. Lots of coverage. I'd probably shoot the stuff from the chase car when the go pro is either hidden from view, or not on the bike myself.

Thanks, really appreciate it. I was thinking of putting it on the tail of the bike, but I've seen footage, and it mostly has the rider, and barely the bike. Also, wanted to put it on the nose, but don't want to obstruct her view at higher speeds. Will definitely use your advice, thanks. Also, you're from the Twin Cities?! Cool. Thanks again.

Hey there, another mn filmmaker :). You could also put it on the end of a stick and drive along side moving the stick with the camera around the bike to get shots that go from the wheels up to her face, etc. safety and local laws are a big consideration here. They are more important than your shot. Especially the safety of your subject.

I'm in the St. Cloud area, but do quite a bit of my film related work in the cities. I'd wait until the snow is gone first :)

Man....this is really cool. Didn't know there'd be many from the frozen tundra that is MN. Knightly, for the stick idea, what's the best way to do it? I was thinking of shooting her from the back of my SUV with the back windshield open. Maybe I could shoot from the back seat?

Mop handle and duck tape? Ride in the back seat and operate the camera through the open window. SAFETY! Not to put too fine a point on it.

Back