• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

New Distributor Seeking Films

A few months ago, I came here and asked everyone what they wanted in wanted in a distributor. Everyone gave us great ideas from communication to results and everything in between.

Today we launched Camden Arts & Motion. We are actively seeking feature length narrative films and offer gross participation on all releases.

Go to www.artsandmotion.com to submit your project and give us a like on facebook.

Thanks again everyone. I'll be on all day if anyone has questions.

-dan

Hey Dan,

So I went through your website and didn't really find much info. I was wondering how you were actually going about picking films to distribute.

How would someone like myself benefit from you? And I'll tell you a little about myself so you can answer.

- I don't have a completed feature.
- I have a script ready to shoot in April / May
- The script targets women and shy women and shy people. That is how I am planning to market the film, through websites for shy people. I may or may not try the festival route, but I definitely want the VOD / DVD purchase options from the film website.

I don't know if you've heard of Peter Broderick, but I like this guy, and he seems to suggest that distribution channels need to be setup before the festival run. And he provides ample examples of people making quite a bit of money, going it their own way, as long as an identified market hungered for that particular content.

So the reason I'm writing is to find out how we can have any meaningful relationship during the preproduction process, when we don't know anything about each other. I can tell you anything I want, but how can you possibly have any confidence in my ability to make a movie worth your while? How do we reach a point where we're both confident that working with each other is worth it?

Best regards,
Aveek

Aveek,

Thanks for checking out the site. If you go the submit page, there is a list of the general things we're looking for.

When you're a bit further along I think we could help, but at the moment we don't really offering much at the pre production phase--aside from advisement. I would be happy to read your script to see if it's something we might be interested in once it's completed.

For us, it all comes down to the story. You can't make a great film with a bad script.

Hope this helps, if you want PM me and we can exchange emails to talk further?

Hey Dan,

So I went through your website and didn't really find much info. I was wondering how you were actually going about picking films to distribute.

How would someone like myself benefit from you? And I'll tell you a little about myself so you can answer.

- I don't have a completed feature.
- I have a script ready to shoot in April / May
- The script targets women and shy women and shy people. That is how I am planning to market the film, through websites for shy people. I may or may not try the festival route, but I definitely want the VOD / DVD purchase options from the film website.

I don't know if you've heard of Peter Broderick, but I like this guy, and he seems to suggest that distribution channels need to be setup before the festival run. And he provides ample examples of people making quite a bit of money, going it their own way, as long as an identified market hungered for that particular content.

So the reason I'm writing is to find out how we can have any meaningful relationship during the preproduction process, when we don't know anything about each other. I can tell you anything I want, but how can you possibly have any confidence in my ability to make a movie worth your while? How do we reach a point where we're both confident that working with each other is worth it?

Best regards,
Aveek

Where will you be advertising this site? Budget for advertising?

What are the rights to distribute terms?

How is this better than a createspace page where I can sell my film directly via download or rental?

TY

Ray

Hey Ray,

The films won't be playing on the site. It's not one of those deals. We're a distributor in the traditional sense of the word. We handle marketing, PR, packaging, placement, printing, sales etc.

Createspace limits you to Amazon. While Amazon is important, it's not the only channel out there and streaming isn't the only option.

Every film is different. The audience for every film is different.

Where will you be advertising this site? Budget for advertising?

What are the rights to distribute terms?

How is this better than a createspace page where I can sell my film directly via download or rental?

TY

Ray

Please don't be evasive.

Your non-answer answers are why you create distrust.

Tell us about your marketing and sales program.

I am sorry you think I'm being evasive. It was certainly not my intention.

Marketing a film is like marketing any product, service or business. Sure, there are channels such as social, print, PR, digital, guerrilla etc. But how you use these channels really does depend on the film. As does the budget.

Good advertising is about a single hook, a single idea that drives people to do something. That idea or hook can be implanted onto every aspect of the work. I think some of the greatest hooks can be found in films.

As far as sales, I would say the answer is the same. There's Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, VOD, physical DVD/Blu Ray's etc. We have access to that, but just because we can, doesn't mean that we should. It's all about thinking it through and finding that audience. It's about timing, knowing which order works best for the audience you're after.

I know these aren't the answers your looking for. But if someone produces an entire marketing and sales plan without knowing what exactly they're marketing/selling, the then they're lying to you. Think of the difference between the marketing of Anchor Man 2 vs 12 Years a Slave. Both of them are films? Totally different strategies. Totally different audiences.

I started this company because I worked on a film that was burned by a distributor. I watched it happen. It was a great movie but the company did no marketing, placed it without thinking, took a hefty cut off the top and to this day I don't think anyone has seen a dime.

So I understand how skeptical you are, and I would be to. But please understand: we all started this company for that very reason. We were tired of getting burned by distribution that produced nothing. We were tired of a distributor we couldn't get on the phone.

We have a lot of ground to make up from the sins of those that came before us. That's what we're working towards.

Thanks,

Please don't be evasive.

Your non-answer answers are why you create distrust.

Tell us about your marketing and sales program.

congratulations on launching your company!
And it's great to see you back on here. So many people make one post with ambitious ideas and then never return.

I'm not quite ready for feature yet, which I know is where your business is... but it can't hurt to ask this question :)

Do you know of a reliable location in baltimore I could film in? Any hour of night would work .. needs an elevator to some sort of waiting area, or maybe a lobby of a business. The reliability is my main concern. It's a short film but very ambitious and I need to have a 6-12 month break in the middle for the main character to dramatically alter their physique, and then return to shooting at the same location

4tenpro,

Just a few questions.

Are you set up enough to do a cinematic release if you agree it's appropriate for the film?
If not, do you handle home entertainment market? If so, do you handle international?
If not, do you only handle VOD?

You get what I'm asking?

How much up front cash? ("Depends" is not an answer.)

Have you already cut someone a check?

Do you expect to cut someone a check for up front cash in the next few months?

Will it be 4 figures?

You may need to provide more information to get an answer for that one.

Film completed. Master file ready to send. Sales materials and sales surfaces done. Sound track mastered. (dialogue track separate from master if dubbing planned.)

So, does the possibility exist that you'll cut an up front check for anyone who submits a project that meets these specs?

Cool. I like what you seem to be about. I'll gladly send you the info on my feature, and a screener if you want to see it. :)

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck!

Film completed. Master file ready to send. Sales materials and sales surfaces done. Sound track mastered. (dialogue track separate from master if dubbing planned.)

So, does the possibility exist that you'll cut an up front check for anyone who submits a project that meets these specs?

I'm not going to offer anything, I'm not the distributor.

You still seem to be missing some information that may determine his/her answer. You may wish to include some of the more important marketing aspects like: Genre; Who's in it; Has it won any awards; Made any press (and how long ago); Has it been released anywhere already; How many views does the trailer have on Youtube; Have any rights been sold/pre-sold already; When was it completed.

You know, typical distributor questions. The first two at a minimum as they mostly determine a films marketability, the others add to (or sometimes lets the films value break even) the films value.

I know it's nice to expect a direct answer, though if you don't want a "It Depends" answer, it may be within your interests to provide sufficient information to get a useful answer. Almost like, "How much will you buy my car for?" question while withholding all other information.

I'm not going to offer anything, I'm not the distributor.

You still seem to be missing some information that may determine his/her answer. You may wish to include some of the more important marketing aspects like: Genre; Who's in it; Has it won any awards; Made any press (and how long ago); Has it been released anywhere already; How many views does the trailer have on Youtube; Have any rights been sold/pre-sold already; When was it completed.

You know, typical distributor questions. The first two at a minimum as they mostly determine a films marketability, the others add to (or sometimes lets the films value break even) the films value.

I know it's nice to expect a direct answer, though if you don't want a "It Depends" answer, it may be within your interests to provide sufficient information to get a useful answer. Almost like, "How much will you buy my car for?" question while withholding all other information.

I'm aware of this, but with the tendency for fly-by-marketing schemes in here, I want to know right off the bat, can you cut an up-front check -- yes or no. If they're going to hem and haw, then the real answer is NO. And I can just move on and quit wasting my time as they likely do not pay up front cash, period.

However, if they say "you bet! But it has to be a great film and distribution ready" then it's worth exploring further to find out if they've ever actually cut an up front check and move from there.

I think an up-front check is an unrealistic expectation for people with ultra-low-budget films. Yeah, it happens, but that's like winning the lottery. I'm not against playing the lottery, I just don't think a new low-budget distributor should be shamed for not doing something that really isn't done by anyone anymore.

Thanks! I remember us talking before.

I used to know of a great one, but that company moved. I would find a way to barter with a company that has that access. Shoot a 30 second spot for them--something simple, like an interview--in exchange for using their building and office at night. Most buildings, you just need permission and someone to vouch for you.

I like the ambition. Sounds exciting.

Good luck.

congratulations on launching your company!
And it's great to see you back on here. So many people make one post with ambitious ideas and then never return.

I'm not quite ready for feature yet, which I know is where your business is... but it can't hurt to ask this question :)

Do you know of a reliable location in baltimore I could film in? Any hour of night would work .. needs an elevator to some sort of waiting area, or maybe a lobby of a business. The reliability is my main concern. It's a short film but very ambitious and I need to have a 6-12 month break in the middle for the main character to dramatically alter their physique, and then return to shooting at the same location

Sure:

1. We are not setup to do a large scale cinematic release. However, if it was appropriate, a limited release is not out of the question.

2. Home entertainment is more feasible, we have more control over that. I would say that is more of our wheel house than theatrical right now.

3. We don't handle international. In the coming months, we're looking to partner with some international sales partners, but at the moment it's not something we could do well. So we don't do it.

4. We do VOD.

4tenpro,

Just a few questions.

Are you set up enough to do a cinematic release if you agree it's appropriate for the film?
If not, do you handle home entertainment market? If so, do you handle international?
If not, do you only handle VOD?

You get what I'm asking?

Back