NetFlix and "throttling"

FilmJumper said:
So... What I do now is go into my NetFlix account and report the problem... As soon as a DVD is not in the mail the day they are telling me it should be here, I report it lost in the mail...

However, I do not tell them to send out the same DVD(s)... Instead, I click the little radio button that tells them to mail the next DVDs in my queue...

Works like a charm... Sometimes I've gotten all 8 DVDs at the same time...
Yeah! Beat Netflix at their own game! :clap:

Additionally...

mrde50 said:
Yeah! Beat Netflix at their own game! :clap:
I failed to mention that because the NetFlix DVDs almost NEVER arrive when NetFlix says they should, I'm always reporting DVDs lost in the mail... Of course, they show up either the next day or at most, 2 to 3 days later but by then, NetFlix has sent me the next DVDs in my queue...

The funny part of all this is that at least half the time, when NetFlix sends me the next set of DVDs in my queue AFTER I report them lost in the mail, I usually get the lost DVDs AND the next set of DVDs NetFlix sends me after making the report...

Additionally, I have even had to report those next queued DVDs that they sent me lost in the mail... LOL.

So we play this game back and forth and my subscription seems to go beyond the 13 to 16 normal amount of DVDs I watch every month to as high as 20 to 24...

filmy

This is why I just buy dvds. I get what I want, when I want it. No hassles. No late fees. No e-mails. No interaction with the US Postal Service. I have about a thousand titles now (if you count box sets and episodic tv as one each). I've been thinking of opening my own video store.

Of course, if a movie sucks (and alot of them do), I'm stuck with it. When they come out with the super duper extra special deluxe edition two months later, my OCD forces me to buy it again. And on more than one occassion I've paid full price for a new release then had it show up in the $5 bin at Walmart six months later, which is kind of frustrating.

Ok, so maybe buying isn't better than renting, but did I mention that I'm a bit OCD?

rob

mentismortis said:
This is why I just buy dvds...

My local video store sells excess new-releases (about 1 month after release) for 14.99. After another month, remaining copies drop to 9.99. However, they almost always run a buy-2 get-2-free sale because they can't clear them out fast enough. For those not so quick with math, this works out to about 5.00 per movie. So...I can rent the movie for $4.37, or just buy them for 5.00. I'm with you, Mentis -- I haven't rented a movie in ages.

I hear ya...

mentismortis said:
This is why I just buy dvds. I get what I want, when I want it. No hassles. No late fees. No e-mails. No interaction with the US Postal Service. I have about a thousand titles now (if you count box sets and episodic tv as one each). I've been thinking of opening my own video store.

Of course, if a movie sucks (and alot of them do), I'm stuck with it. When they come out with the super duper extra special deluxe edition two months later, my OCD forces me to buy it again. And on more than one occassion I've paid full price for a new release then had it show up in the $5 bin at Walmart six months later, which is kind of frustrating.

Ok, so maybe buying isn't better than renting, but did I mention that I'm a bit OCD?

rob
I hear ya... I used to buy over at least $100 worth of DVDs a momth... Then, 6 months later, the same DVD would be discounted at least in half... Another 6 months between $5 and $10... Then of course, another 6 months, a special edition DVD with enough extras on it to persuade me to buy yet another copy...

Occasionally, I would even purchase a film that I had not seen at the theater because the description on the back "sounded okay" then, after playing the DVD, I would have extreme buyer's remorse.

Which is why I now rent from NetFlix...

I can rent all the crap that I wondered about that played at the theater... I also pick apart almost every film I watch for screenwriting purposes... What I like about renting is that NOW, I can try before I buy... If the NetFlix rental turns out to be a good film, I go ahead and purchase it. No more wondering and hoping.

Maybe not the best system but it works for me so far...

By the way, had a friend who just signed up for BlockBuster online rentals...

He tells me he feels like he's already been a victim of "bait and switch" because he performed a search for several movies on the BlockBuster site and they had quite a few films that he's been wanting to see that NetFlix did not have...

Based on this search, he cancelled his NetFlix account and signed up for the BlockBuster account so he could rent those DVDs...

However, once he got all signed up and his credit card was charged, those DVDs in fact were NOT for rent. They either did not have them at all OR they were available for sale only.

Now he's sorry for joining BlockBuster... LOL.

However, he did get a free month at BlockBuster for using the following coupon code: USATODAY9

--and he's going to cancel sometime right before the month is over...

Geez...

filmy

I have netfilx and sometimes end up keeping movies for weeks at a time. Not a very "heavy" renter. I love throttling. If there's a new release I want to see, I usually get it right away.

With the recent news that movies will be online to download permanently, stores like Blockbuster will hopefully go away.

It's true that the initial pricetag for new films advertised from Movielink are a bit excessive, but I believe the pricing will come down once popularity gains.

I can't see spending $30 to download a new release. Under $10? Sure, I can see that. Old favorites for $4.99? I like that.

While I'm on the subject, why isn't The Legend of Billie Jean NOT on DVD?!?! :angry:

Unfortunately...

mrde50 said:
With the recent news that movies will be online to download permanently, stores like Blockbuster will hopefully go away.

It's true that the initial pricetag for new films advertised from Movielink are a bit excessive, but I believe the pricing will come down once popularity gains.

I can't see spending $30 to download a new release. Under $10? Sure, I can see that. Old favorites for $4.99? I like that.

While I'm on the subject, why isn't The Legend of Billie Jean NOT on DVD?!?! :angry:
Unfortunately, I think that's gonna take quite a while...

The majority of people on the net can barely download one file let alone an entire film... It will take a few years before downloading movies from the internet catches on in an entire neighborhood near you.

I'm wondering if and when however, downloading films becomes the norm, will we have to download the friggin' ads along with the movie?

filmy

I think because they figure millions of people out there are downloading entire films illegally now, what's the difference in legally downloading the same movie?

I've never downloaded a film illegally, but even with my DSL line, I'm imagining it would still have to download overnight to get an entire movie.

If I had a 100Mbit pipe to the house, I'd be more apt to buy films online knowing I can get them in minutes instead of hours.

I understand it takes a while...

mrde50 said:
I think because they figure millions of people out there are downloading entire films illegally now, what's the difference in legally downloading the same movie?

I've never downloaded a film illegally, but even with my DSL line, I'm imagining it would still have to download overnight to get an entire movie.

If I had a 100Mbit pipe to the house, I'd be more apt to buy films online knowing I can get them in minutes instead of hours.
While I've never downloaded an illegal film, I have downloaded movies from Archive.org and some of the public domain features have taken several hours to download even with my satellite connection...

filmy

Let them fight it out. I hope they both lose.

[LENGHLY 2 PAGE COMMENTARY ABOUT HOW INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY AND SOFTWARE PATENTS ARE WRONG DELETED]

Apple showed the world that, if implemented correctly, media sales via the internet works. I honestly believe it's the distribution model of the (near) future. That is, until someone finds a way to beam media directly into our brains.

Hey, if the internet didn't exist, none of us would know the other existed. I'd have never heard of Peter John Ross or John @ Bophe. No one would have ever seen my shitty movies. None of us would have iPods filled with our favorite music. I would never have discovered independent garage bands like Processor or Creepville.

Lets stop for a moment and really look at what the internet has given us access to. Now how much of that do we take for granted? In 10 years, we'll look back and say "Movie downloads? Been there, done that." just like we have with everything else.

Now I'm pissed.

For revenge, Netflix charged me for another month of service AFTER I cancelled my account. :angry:

I called them, spoke to a person named Byron who told me he'll "investigate" it (But the tone of his voice sounded like he was happy they had the last laugh -- he giggled a bit).

I'm calling my bank and filing a complaint against this company to both the bank and to the FTC. This is crap.

Back