Need some advice about a camera...

Hi there,

Is this worth purchasing? I am looking into outfitting our new studio with as much equipment as possible. At this point, I have a very low budget, and outside of some possible investors, I am looking into purchasing all of our equipment through personal and business loans.

I have limited experience behind a camera, and none with film. But, we are outfitting our business so it is ready-for-hire when we launch. I graduate with my Bachelors in CIS in 12 weeks for now, and a BBA in Entrepreneurship 4-6 month's after that. Then, I am onto graduate school working toward my MBA in Corporate Enterprise. So, I am working on the business aspect of this. When I launch, I will use people like you, and your talents. You are essentially the one's that will use the equipment that I setup for you. So, as you can see, it would be nice to get your opinion on something you feel comfortable with, working with a budget.

Do any of you have experience with the model listed below, and what are some of the different projects you can do with this?

Can you give me some advice with this type of camera? Or, cameras of this sort in general.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRI-BL1-35...ultDomain_0&hash=item256f0cd50b#ht_701wt_1344

scaled.php

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/600/kgrhqvhjcce9bfsbbnlbpuj.jpg

Arri 35mm BL1 Package
This camera has not been used since 1998 and has been stored in a temperature controlled environment.
It is in MINT working condition.
Camera was overhauled by Arriflex Headquarters in Blauvelt New York supervised by the president of Arri America - Jurgen)

Message me for my phone number and you can call and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

This camera has VERY LITTLE USAGE

PACKAGE INCLUDES
(1) 1000 FOOT MAGAZINE - Like New In road case
(2) 400 foot mags
(1) High Speed Controller (Hard to find)
(1) Blimp Housing
(1) Battery with 4 pin XLR to Camera "Power In" socket. (New)

In Original Aluminum Textured ARRI Case
Original Manual
CAMERA FEATURES
Arri 41mm Bayonet mount(Accepts Standard mount also)
11 pin Fischer port
Analog footage and frame rate indicators
Frame Rate: 24,25 synced and 5-100 fps variable
100 fps capable with Auxiliary magazine throat rollers and special
BL1 External Speed Controller (included in the package)
Dual registration pins and double pronged pull down claws special
to the BL1 for high speed use.
Viewfinder magnification: 6.5x
Supply voltage: 12 VDC
Weight without lens and film: 28 pounds

Exposure is 1/48 of a second at 24 fps with 180 degree shutter.
35BL1 and 35BL2 cameras have 180 degree fixed butterfly shutter.

Thanks,

Tim

I wouldn't bite. Film is expensive. So expensive, that the extra cost of renting a camera on top of the film/lab/telecine fees is really marginal if you're going the film route. With a video camera, you could use it 24/7 without any extra costs.

Don't get me wrong, film is fantastic, but there's nothing "very low budget" about it.

You'd have to purchase/rent cinema lenses for every time you shoot.
Plus, you'd need to buy film stock and get it processed and telecined every single time you shoot something.
Don't get me wrong, I love working with film but I would only buy a camera if I could justify the cost of everything with the work I'd be doing.

Is this worth purchasing? I am looking into outfitting our new studio with as much equipment as possible. At this point, I have a very low budget, and outside of some possible investors, I am looking into purchasing all of our equipment through personal and business loans.

I have limited experience behind a camera, and none with film. But, we are outfitting our business so it is ready-for-hire when we launch. I graduate with my Bachelors in CIS in 12 weeks for now, and a BBA in Entrepreneurship 4-6 month's after that. Then, I am onto graduate school working toward my MBA in Corporate Enterprise. So, I am working on the business aspect of this. When I launch, I will use people like you, and your talents. You are essentially the one's that will use the equipment that I setup for you. So, as you can see, it would be nice to get your opinion on something you feel comfortable with, working with a budget.
I... this...

This has got "BAD" written all over it.
Like... gut wrenching, hail Mary, too many Hollywood "underdog always wins in the end" stories "BAD".

Just a very unprofessional gut instinct on my behalf.
I don't even want to defend my opinion by breaking down every sentence above.

Do any of you have experience with the model listed below, and what are some of the different projects you can do with this?

Can you give me some advice with this type of camera? Or, cameras of this sort in general.
I...

... need to go vomit.

I hope your films are this powerful.
Sincerely I do.

It's like watching a little kid put on an Halloween costume then running out into the street in front of an armored truck.

20130405IronManChildvsArmoredTruck.png

Best wishes. :tear:

Hi everyone,

Since this is a bad idea, what would be a good purchase in comparison? Our first phase of my company is to develop feature animations using open-source software, such as Blender, Gimp, and Audacity. Cameras and Live-Action are a second-step procedure.

Since this camera really was a premature idea for motion picture filming, and I have little experience, I was hoping for other alternatives to cameras. Any suggestions in general?

Since this camera really was a premature idea for motion picture filming, and I have little experience, I was hoping for other alternatives to cameras. Any suggestions in general?
Do you need a 35mm camera?

You need to asses the needs of your company before you buy anything.
More often than not, someone with little experience feels they must own
everything from day one. More often than not, that is a poor business
decision. A top of the line 35mm camera with EVERYTHING will rent for
$2,500 per week. When you get a client that must have their project
shot on 35mm then you rent and charge the rental to them. At some
point down the road if you need to shoot 35mm for a specific project then
you can run the numbers; buying used vs. renting top of the line. Renting
is a business expense - a tax right off; owning is just depreciation.

You're out of the "let's make a movie and become famous" phase and
thinking of starting a business. You need to make a decision about what
product you are going to provide to clients and THEN decide on what camera
is best for that product.

So...

in your business plan do you NEED a 35mm camera right away?

@ Directorik,

At this point and time, I do not need a camera. While I do have to itemize what I need, a camera really was just wishful thinking. But, I am going to stick to animation for a while. When I need more money from our investors, and when we are ready to put a screenplay together, I may just end up taking your advice and decide what is best for the company at that time by renting rather than buying. The hardest part, for me, is deciding which is the best equipment for all-around usage. But, you are right, that can wait until a later time.

I have many ideas and the starting of screenplays, as well as, outlines for many films and animations. However, like you put so eloquently, I need not to try to conquer the world all at once.

Thank you for the advice.

Back