• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need light socket advice

howdy. quick question here.

are there any sites online that would be favorable to buy from over other sites that offer the same thing? I'm having trouble getting my search terms right for the actual name of the product i'm looking for (http://www.filmtools.com/chinlansocas.html) I'm looking to buy three corded light sockets just like this one to use as lights at an upcoming indoor shoot. my main concerns are the wattage being bright enough to light an otherwise dark room and reasonable prices of both the sockets and bulbs that would be used with them. has anyone here ever used simple corded light sockets like this? any tips or warnings?

The dangling light holders are cheap to make. I make my own electric stuff all the time.

However, you should know about polarity and grounding, and buy and install the plugs appropriately. Last thing you want is to get the hell shocked out of you or someone else. It can happen pretty easily if you connect it wrong and are grounded.

If you don't know a ton about AC current, get someone who does to show you exactly what to do. Don't guess, as you could be gambling someone else's life.

The dangling light holders are cheap to make. I make my own electric stuff all the time.

However, you should know about polarity and grounding, and buy and install the plugs appropriately. Last thing you want is to get the hell shocked out of you or someone else. It can happen pretty easily if you connect it wrong and are grounded.

If you don't know a ton about AC current, get someone who does to show you exactly what to do. Don't guess, as you could be gambling someone else's life.

Hey Stef, thanks for the reply. Are you saying I need to be careful when using blackwrap directly on the light socket because it runs the risk of electrocution?

Hey Stef, thanks for the reply. Are you saying I need to be careful when using blackwrap directly on the light socket because it runs the risk of electrocution?
I'm saying don't mix up the neutral and the hot. If you do, you run the risk of energizing the outside instead of that little tab inside the socket, and touching the outside while grounded can zap you in a most unpleasant way. It technically *shouldn't* zap you, but failures happen, and in case of multiple failures some very bad things can happen.

Sockets, plugs, and wires all have indicators of what goes to what. Bronze color vs silver color screws, stripes on the insulation, and colored wires themselves all indicate polarity.

Ask someone you know who's done wiring to help you make them, if you choose to make your own. Otherwise, buy only UL listed assembled ones.

Yeah the ones I bought are literally just a regular household cord with a plug on one end and a socket on the other. It's like one of the world market china ball assemblies.

Back