Need ideas for my school projects

Hello,

I am now taking a video class as a freshman in college and in our syllabus it is stated that we do some assignments individually.

I have looked into them and couldn't really think of any idea for each assignment.

I would appreciate it if someone can share their input on any of the assignments.

Explanation of Assignments:
Assignment#1: Camera Test/”The Fall” (collaborative project) Due: September 17
Makes up 5% of final grade
A character is tying to get from one place to another and “falls” on the way. This assignment is designed to:
 Help you gain familiarity with the camera  Practice your cinematography skills
 Devise and execute a sequence of shots.
Constraints: “in camera” edits only, 10 shots minimum, 15 shots maximum

Assignment#2: Long Take (individual project, 1 minute minimum – 2 minutes maximum) Due: October 8
Makes up 10% of final grade
This assignment is designed to:
 Orchestrate mise en scène
 Help you gain familiarity with the camera  Practice your cinematography skills
Make a video that is one long uninterrupted shot. The shot begins when you start recording and ends when you stop. Reveal the plot within the time given. It is important that you convey the story without the use of extensive dialog or a musical score as a means of moving the story forward. Speeding your footage to get us through some boring or slow aspect of the shot that you did not orchestrate well is not an option to make the length of the project fit the time constraints.
Some films that contain examples of a long shot are:
 “Touch of Evil”, directed by Orson Wells (1958)
 “The Player”, directed by Robert Altman (1992)
 “Elephant”, directed by Gus Van Sant (2003)
 “Russian Ark”, directed by Russkij Kovcheg (2004)

Assignment #3: Memory assignment (2 minutes maximum)
Due: November 5
Makes up 20% of final grade
Create a short narrative video that is based on a memory or true story. For this assignment it is important that write down the actual memory or story that will inform and inspire your script. The more specific detail you provide (visual and aural, places, people and characters, season, voices, textures, sensations, light, objects, gestures, and sounds) the more interesting and compelling your video will be.
Constraints:
 Limit dialogue to a minimum
 No “wall to wall” music
 Limit main characters to 3
 Your story must be in sequential time
 Your story must take place during one day
 Your story must be based on an actual memory -- why is this memory important, and how
can you use visual language to give it emotional weight?
7 of 10
MM 110: Digital Video for the Web and DVD
Fall 2012

Assignment #4: Treatment (1-2 Pages, typed)
Due: November 19
Makes up 5% of final grade
This is a 1-2 page description of your final Project. It should include:
A working title
A general description of the main themes and concepts, story and events Detailed description of characters
A description and discussion of the soundtrack
Concise treatment (the story we will see on screen)

Assignment #5: Narrative (3 minute minimum to 5 minute maximum)
Due: December 10
Makes up 20% of final grade
Script, shoot and edit a short narrative. You may use your application treatment.
One strategy to tackle this assignment is to first decide on a genre and develop the narrative. Think about how the story unfolds and moves forward. Will characters be transformed, will there be conflict?
Remember, the story’s success depends on the depth of your characters. Thus give a detailed description of each participant.
Constraints: Limit your characters to 3 actors.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to do your homework for you.

#1 - Somebody has to fall. It doesn't say that there has to be a genre, nor where it has to happen. It doesn't even need a context as it's a "Camera Test."

#2 - Something had to happen without dialog. It doesn't say that there has to be a genre, nor where it has to happen. It doesn't even need a context, although that would probably add to your grade.

#3 - C'mon, SOMETHING in your life must have happened that was interesting.

#4 & #5 - Hey, you get to make a short film! This is what you signed up to do! You don't have even one idea?

I'm confused as to why you would take a video course if you don't have any interest in creating videos. Even if you want to study the technical side of filmmaking, surely you must have some ideas.

haha this is great. i'll tell you what to do. grab a dictionary (you might have to go to the library, it's on the campus map. it's the place with all the books)

a book is usually rectangle. has words inside it, printed on something called paper...

flick it open at random with your eyes closed and have your finger land on a word. play word association and let that create the ideas for you. works a treat.

Back