• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help writing!

I have an idea for a story that was taken from a haunting website about a myth locally.

The issue I have is writing out the key rising action points, and planning the storyline. I have no issue writing dialogue, and once the idea is there getting to that point, so I was reaching out for some help.

Sypnosis: A group of teenagers go camping at Hiawatha Falls, and legend has it there is a lady dressed in white who lurks the falls and protects the grounds. The story of the white lady is that her lover committed suicide or died somehow at the falls and she seems sad and kind. But gets really angry when the falls or surrounding area are defaced. (I dont know if I want to go with that cause it seems cheesy).

I was thinking she could be an angry spirit, perhaps seeking revenge for her lovers death.

What do you guys think?? Any ideas on storyline?

ideas.....

hey from Mississauga....

read your idea..pretty cool. I do however think "the lady in a white dress" is a little overdone these days. It can still be pulled off, but it would have to be spooky as hell!!

angry spirit seeking revenge for lover's death doesn't jive if the lover committed suicide......

how about something along the lines of this....

teens move to hiawatha falls with parents,hear the story of lady in white from locals. Try to contact lady in white with ouija board / seonce. nothing happens (suspense builder).

lady in white starts to appear not because they tried to contact her, but because the family is actually related to the bully who killed the lover (but made it look like suicide)

teens discover this while evading the lady in white, her attempts to kill them. Teens think it was the ouija board and destroy it but she keeps coming back. realize the real issue of their relation.

just a thought.....

keep cool

I strongly suggest doing your research on ghosts and poltergeists. It needs a foundation to what the world accepts for ghost stories.

A ghost is a restless spirit who cannot pass onto the afterlife because of a terrible trauma or unfinished business.

We have several famous ghost stories in upstate NY from the Legend of Sleepyhollow to the haunted Estate of Rensselaer.

This is a cool idea that could be very cool or very already done. I would take this story in parts. First focus on the woman/spirit. Who is she. Every ghost starts with a tragic story. What is her story. This is your back story. If you built the legend of the spirit first it will give you a stronger movie in the long run.

Then you can start your story of the teenagers who encounter the spirit. As far as story lines go, just write your story as if you are telling your best friend this cool story you just witnessed or heard from someone else. Don't worry about character when writing the storyline. The most important thing is the story and how it unfolds.

If you do these two things you will find that your characters begin to writer themselves and the story will write some more easily.

Rob Bettencourt
Download a FREE report on simple screenwriting techniques.
http://www.simplescreenwritingtechniques.com

Your synopsis is more of a Logline/theme that needs to be consolidated in to as high a concept log as you can come up with to begin with.

A group of teenagers go camping in a spot protected by a legendary Lady in White.

Now take that and go here:

http://www.berezinfilm.com/tools/screenplay-treatment-generator/

Let me know when you've done that.

I have an idea for a story that was taken from a haunting website about a myth locally.

The issue I have is writing out the key rising action points, and planning the storyline. I have no issue writing dialogue, and once the idea is there getting to that point, so I was reaching out for some help.

Sypnosis: A group of teenagers go camping at Hiawatha Falls, and legend has it there is a lady dressed in white who lurks the falls and protects the grounds. The story of the white lady is that her lover committed suicide or died somehow at the falls and she seems sad and kind. But gets really angry when the falls or surrounding area are defaced. (I dont know if I want to go with that cause it seems cheesy).

I was thinking she could be an angry spirit, perhaps seeking revenge for her lovers death.

What do you guys think?? Any ideas on storyline?

Back