• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need feedback/thoughts on film look

Hi everyone, I would greatly appreciate if you could check out my a short clip of the film look I have created & provide some feedback (did it look like film to you etc) & also give some areas I could improve in, if possible, post a tutorial as well, I would greatly appreciate it!

Please go easy on me (but not to easy haha), Im only a student with no film experience whatsoever (but looking to go into film), so thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmR5-Sc1p50

I would do a search here on IT for "film look"... Search is in the upper right of the page, along the quick links bar.

This has been covered many times. It's not just color or image detail... There's so much more involved. Least of which is some cinematic context for the shot you shared. What's happening within it? Right now, it's just a motion picture, it needs context to make it cinema. Physically, there is good color, the highlights are exposed well and there is a semblance of depth once the camera pulls back a bit and moves to make some paralax... but the motion "feels" a bit video-y to me... specifically as if the camera were really light and didn't have the physical presence to create a smoother motion that would have "felt" more filmic. Locking the camera to your upper torso and only moving the upper torso (not the camera at all, just from the waist) could add that weight back and improve the feel of the shot quite a bit.

Back