Need Dead Cat... not the windscreen, but an actual cat that is dead

My cat dies in the film and I need a dead body. The best idea I've come up with is to maybe hire a taxidermist to stuff a cat that kinda looks like mine, but I'd have to find a cat that looks like mine that recently died. I'm sure you guys have more innovative ideas on how i can accomplish this scene?

If the cat is mostly one color, you can try getting an old fur/faux fur coat the same color as the cat and have a taxidermist stretch that over a cat buck. Just don't show the head/face well.

All you need is fish entrails, rub them on the road and you will have all you need. You have wait patiently and you have quick reflexes...BAM !

Free-Cat_20101201225453_reg.png

A) Find a real dead cat. Double bag. And never tell your significant others that it was EVER in the car.

B) Fabric shops often carry long hair fabrics. Buy a yard. DIY dead cat.

C) See if ToyRUs or ebay has a plush toy that'll do the trick.

D) Reconsider the scene in your film. Maybe the dead thing doesn't need a close up. Sometimes a "suggestion" or "implied" image is quite sufficient.

tumblr_lgf1okKNKu1qzls7go1_500.jpg

Vincent views an illuminated dead cat.
No.
Really. He does.
It's mesmerizing.

County animal control euthanizes unwanted cats in large quantities. Many are then donated to colleges and universities for dissection in A & P classes. I don't know what their rules are regarding this (there may be health codes that prevent it) but you might see if you could get one of those (before they put it in formaldehyde, or whatever they use now).

Don't know about finding a dead cat for you film. But I did know a guy once years ago who was walking up a busy street in Auckland ,when he found a dead cat on the road. He picked it up by the tail, walked up to a crowded hamburger bar, pushed his way through the people, slammed the cat on the counter and said, "And that's the last one you're getting till you pay the bill!"
People scattered.
He got fined $50 for doing it.

Don't know about finding a dead cat for you film. But I did know a guy once years ago who was walking up a busy street in Auckland ,when he found a dead cat on the road. He picked it up by the tail, walked up to a crowded hamburger bar, pushed his way through the people, slammed the cat on the counter and said, "And that's the last one you're getting till you pay the bill!"
People scattered.
He got fined $50 for doing it.

I'll buy that guy a beer next time he's in Montana.

find fake dead cat.
go to cat prison for a live cat that looks like fake dead cat above.
Adopt and love real cat.
Make movie.

On a side note, what kinda of creepy movie are you making where you want to fake your own kittys death! lol

find fake dead cat.
go to cat prison for a live cat that looks like fake dead cat above.
Adopt and love real cat.
Make movie.

addendum: film lots of adorable behind-the-scenes with said cat. Tap into the indie film crowd and the youtube cat-video crowd. VICTORY IS YOURS!!!!

aside: I love the concept of cat prison. Cats locked up for third degree mousing. Conspiracy to committ begging for treats. Catnip possession (with intent to distribute). Aggrevated attention seeking. Fraudulent purrs.

I think Ray's suggestion to buy fabric and sew one up, is good. How does the cat die? I assume its' poor little body will be bloodied or mangled. I bet, even if you've never sewn before, you could put together something. Post a picture of the actor-cat, maybe I can craft something for you.

How about a stuffed animal cat. Find one as real looking as you can find. Maybe remove some of the stuffing, to give it a deflated look. Limit it's screen time, so it doesn't appear too fake.

I think Ray's suggestion to buy fabric and sew one up, is good. How does the cat die? I assume its' poor little body will be bloodied or mangled. I bet, even if you've never sewn before, you could put together something. Post a picture of the actor-cat, maybe I can craft something for you.

The actor cat is a Russian Blue. I don't have pics of her but she looks exactly like this cat... and not to be racist but all Russian blues look the same to me ;)
RussianBlue1.jpg

And no, it's not a horror movie and nothing gross happens to the cat. She dies of natural causes. The scene is a toddler being the first one to find the cat and making several attempts to get kitty to wake up, but alas, kitty ain't waking up.

And Bird, thank you for offering to make something but this is pretty much a no budget project and I can't in good conscience ask you to put that much work into something for free. Unless you live nearby and I can somehow return the favor.

Last edited:
If you show the sleeping cat, then cut to a shot of fake cat in foreground, face of toddler in BG shaking cat. Extreme shallow DOF so fake cat is nice a blurry, toddler's face is sharp.

That way, a stuffed animal or almost anything gray will suffice as "cat" - Detail isn't as important.

Back