Name the same

Although no one has replied, I'm also going to ask. Does anyone here know where I might be able to get a sample release form? And maybe a few other types too. Like for actors, or using property, you know, things like that. Also, In order to film in a public park, what all would I have to go through to possibly have it closed for a day or two for filming. I mean, that could be done, right?

Tell the owners of the public park you are shooting Avatar 2 with the British actor Sam Wirthington. That works for me 100% of the time.

Sorry - I have no samples of release forms or anything like that. My best suggestion would be Google for legal docs or something like that.

As far as the zombie film name conflicting with the children's book, I don't know. It seems like it happens a lot, though. Don't tell me there has never been a book named Avatar, or Nine (9), or Brothers.

Try contacting the publisher of the book directly?

Tell the owners of the public park you are shooting Avatar 2 with the British actor Sam Wirthington. That works for me 100% of the time.

Sorry - I have no samples of release forms or anything like that. My best suggestion would be Google for legal docs or something like that.

As far as the zombie film name conflicting with the children's book, I don't know. It seems like it happens a lot, though. Don't tell me there has never been a book named Avatar, or Nine (9), or Brothers.

Try contacting the publisher of the book directly?

I don't wanna try the lying aspect, for if they ask any in depth questions to see if I'm full of crap, I'm screwed. When I write/e-mail/call the parks department, I'm jsut going to explain to them whats going to happen, and then get the permission documents signed (hopefully), and maybe ask for one more day than I need for shooting, and if I don't need it, I'll call them, and let them know! Just to be prepared for a bad day and all!

As the the release forms, I figured I'd have to search through Google, but soon, I'll have to introduce this to mah parents so I actually have some of age to help through with legal processes. I mean, anyone under the age of eighteen that signs a legal document, isn't actually held to it legally are they?

And yes, for the name, I am sure it shouldn't be an issue, but I was posting to hopefully get info from people a bit more educated than I. If my film becomes a hit, I want it to be a legal complication free hit!

Heh - I was totally joking about the Avatar bit.

Though you could just say "Sam is having tea and crumpets in his trailer right now. I can't say anything else about the project as I myself am bonded. All rumors that Sam is Australian are FALSE. He just has a southern London accent! Goodbye! We have no responsibility for what our gaffers tape will do to your wooden floors!!! When is lunch!!!! Your bathroom is out of service!!!!!"

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help... Hope I made you laugh, at least.

Heh - I was totally joking about the Avatar bit.

Though you could just say "Sam is having tea and crumpets in his trailer right now. I can't say anything else about the project as I myself am bonded. All rumors that Sam is Australian are FALSE. He just has a southern London accent! Goodbye! We have no responsibility for what our gaffers tape will do to your wooden floors!!! When is lunch!!!! Your bathroom is out of service!!!!!"

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help... Hope I made you laugh, at least.

Yes, you did indeed make me laugh, and for that I thank you. I needed a good laugh today.

My soon to be film, Z is for Zombie, shares the same name as a childs book. Is it ok to share the same name
As long as there are no similarities in your story - none
at all - and your movie cannot be mistaken as an adaptation
there should be no legal issue. A title cannot be copyrighted.
Does anyone here know where I might be able to get a sample release form?
Try THIS LINK

And maybe a few other types too. Like for actors, or using property, you know, things like that.
THIS LINK should help.
Also, In order to film in a public park, what all would I have to go through to possibly have it closed for a day or two for filming. I mean, that could be done, right?
Yes. That can be done. Closing a park completely for a day or
two can get expensive. Police will be needed to secure each
entrance. And all cities will require production insurance.

You might think about a cheaper way. Like just going to your local
park and making your movie. There are challenges to that, I know.
When I was 16 I made a movie about a high school kid who falls
asleep in class and wakes up with no one left on earth. Shooting
around the school was easy - weekends. Shooting on city streets
was another matter. I couldn't afford to get permission and block off
streets so I had to grab shots however I could. It took time and some
creative camera angles, but we did it.

Check out THIS LINK

Yes. That can be done. Closing a park completely for a day or
two can get expensive. Police will be needed to secure each
entrance. And all cities will require production insurance.

You might think about a cheaper way. Like just going to your local
park and making your movie. There are challenges to that, I know.
When I was 16 I made a movie about a high school kid who falls
asleep in class and wakes up with no one left on earth. Shooting
around the school was easy - weekends. Shooting on city streets
was another matter. I couldn't afford to get permission and block off
streets so I had to grab shots however I could. It took time and some
creative camera angles, but we did it.

Check out THIS LINK[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for the info about the name, and all. And one problem with shooting whenever I got the chance, I can't get car noises, honking, engines running, kids playing, etc. That's why I'd really love to be able to get this park by my house closed.

And as for the last link, I was just looking there! Oh the irony! :P

And one problem with shooting whenever I got the chance, I can't get car noises, honking, engines running, kids playing, etc. That's why I'd really love to be able to get this park by my house closed.
That's the challenge us low budget filmmaker face. The
good news is you can do an audio mix that removes all
those unwanted sounds. But if you can afford to have
the city shut down the park for you so you get no
unwanted sounds while shooting that would be sweet.

I've never been able to afford something like that. So I've
learned to get what I want using different methods.

That's the challenge us low budget filmmaker face. The
good news is you can do an audio mix that removes all
those unwanted sounds. But if you can afford to have
the city shut down the park for you so you get no
unwanted sounds while shooting that would be sweet.

I've never been able to afford something like that. So I've
learned to get what I want using different methods.

Well my option number one, is shutting down the park. That's what I want to do. Having the park shutdown will allow for plenty of options, instead of being limited to only a single shot or two. Although there is a road visible from the park... What to do... What to do...

I've shot in a park before, in costume with a small set-up, no problems. Just remember that if your disturbing people (or there are some disturbed individuals) leave and come back later. Avoid filming other people in the park because thats a quick way to draw attention.

As for the noise, grab some ambient noise at night (because night tends to be quieted), record your actor's lines in a quite room or your quite backyard, then overlay your actor's voice in post. Its way more work, but if you have to, thats likely the cheaper option.

I've shot in a park before, in costume with a small set-up, no problems. Just remember that if your disturbing people (or there are some disturbed individuals) leave and come back later. Avoid filming other people in the park because thats a quick way to draw attention.

As for the noise, grab some ambient noise at night (because night tends to be quieted), record your actor's lines in a quite room or your quite backyard, then overlay your actor's voice in post. Its way more work, but if you have to, thats likely the cheaper option.

Well you see, I can't film at night. For one, I can't seem to get any ideas of how to fit it in the part of the script I would like to use said park for. Plus, even with parents there, I doubt they trust me to be there during the night >.>

What Graeme and I are suggesting is with some creativity you can
overcome the challenges you face. You can shoot during the day,
facing the challenges - choosing the right angles that give the
impression the park is empty, shooting very early in the morning.

Then at night (or very early in the morning) you can record
ambiance tracks. You can do that standing in your backyard. Simply
set the camera on a tripod, point it at the sky and record audio.
You then remove the production audio and replace it with the new
audio. This isn’t easy but it’s done all the time in movie from no
budget to major studio films.

Yes, like when your actor is suppose to be on a spaceship and there are birds in the background (oh the horrors I'm going to face cleaning up that scene). Its similar to your background sounds of cars and people, you want them out because they don't fit the scene.

Two things: one is (if you plan to sell to a distributor) don't get attached to a name. A friend in LA made a horror flick went thru name change when the distributor acquired it. Our film (shot in San Antonio- where I noticed you're from) is now looking at another name change (will be the 3rd) recommended by sales rep.

The other thing shutting down public places = MONEY. Even in San Antonio. You may want to talk to the SA Film Commission ( Janet Vasquez does locations) they may have an alternative. They helped us as much as they could. We ended up finding one of our locations (they were helping with) on our own. It's worth a shot.

If it doesn't work out re-write the script for a different (easier to secure) location
Good Luck

Back