My script sucks, yet I'm filming this summer help?!

So you haven't actually shot anything yet? No question - fix your script up, before shooting anything.

Maybe you can still hit your summer shoot dates; maybe not. Either way, don't throw your money away when you have the opportunity to rework the entire thing.

Agreed. If I could go back and change any ONE thing about my debut feature film, I should've pushed back the shoot. My screenplay simply wasn't fully developed.

You've got time to re-work your script, so get on it! Maybe you can still shoot in Summer, maybe not. But don't shoot a script you don't have the utmost confidence in.

Your cast and crew will not hate you for this. As long as you give them plenty notice, I think they'll understand.

Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
You have a lot of good advice here.

There was some information that was missing from the whole piece from what I see. You've spent $5k already in pre-production. What will the production costs be? There will be very little point in throwing good money after bad if you need to spend $50k+ into the black hole to attempt to protect the $5k you've already invested.

Another point to consider. You're going to spend a lot of time in post production. Do you really want to spend a lot of time and money in post production, especially if you don't like the script. Do you think you're going to be able to go the extra mile and believe in the project if in your mind, it's already a write off?

I'd personally go with the re-scripting option that has put forward.

Pull the plug, now. Don't spend another dime. Projects get yanked all the time. Don't worry about it.

If you have to pay money to save your reputation, these aren't great people in the first place. Besides, those who bitch can be deleted from the project when you get a script ready.

Good luck.

I thought my first script was great when I wrote it...

Now, a number of years and many screenplays more later, I know it was just pretty damn bad.

What helped me?

• Getting professional objective feedback on my work
  • Reading many dozens of professional screenplays
  • Reading all I could about the art of screenwriting
  • Putting all the above into practice via my writing
Actually realizing your screenwriting needs a lot of work puts you well ahead of the curve so well done on that. Many simply continue to think their writing is great when it is anything but...

There is reason in finishing a movie even if the script sucks for the experience it gains you. However, that's provided it's not costing you $$$$. If it's costing you $$$$ and sucks, pull the plug.

Last edited:
I thought my first script was great when I wrote it...

Now, a number of years and many screenplays more later, I know it was just pretty damn bad.

What helped me?

• Getting professional objective feedback on my work
  • Reading many dozens of professional screenwriters
  • Reading all I could about the art of screenwriting
  • Putting all the above into practice via my writing
Actually realizing your screenwriting needs a lot of work puts you well ahead of the curve so well done on that. Many simply continue to think their writing is great when it is anything but...

There is reason in finishing a movie even if the script sucks for the experience it gains you. However, that's provided it's not costing you $$$$. If it's costing you $$$$ and sucks, pull the plug.

Completely agree.

Back