• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My latest effort

In the link below is the first draft of my latest screenplay, it's a mostly true story that I want to film myself.

Any feedback as always is helpful.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...MDI3ZS00NDIwLWJlYjAtMjdkMTY1NjBiMTZj&hl=en_US

I read up to where they arrive at the "mall" i think like page 29. I dont really have the time to read the whole thing but So far i like it alot. Cool characters and great visualizations. Ive been meaning to start a script but never have any ideas. Yours is good! are you trying to sell the script or going to produce it yourself?

I read up to where they arrive at the "mall" i think like page 29. I dont really have the time to read the whole thing but So far i like it alot. Cool characters and great visualizations. Ive been meaning to start a script but never have any ideas. Yours is good! are you trying to sell the script or going to produce it yourself?

thanks for the input.

My current plan is to put a crew together and shoot it myself, however if I can find someone with money willing to pay then sure why not.

The script is balanced format wise. There is a good use of white space and action to break up the dialogue. What I would suggest looking at is the pacing. Part of this is due to the lack of story structure. A happens, then B, then C, then .... You don't want your story to be so predictable. I kept hoping it would veer off in some wild way, and it didn't. It kept pulling back.

While that may be how the events played out, sometimes the story needs to spice things up. Nothing significant has happened up to page 29. I couldn't tell a half-hour into the movie, is this supposed to be a comedy or adventure? By page 40, the only thing that's happened is they haven't managed to get dates yet. After 40 pages, I forced myself continue reading trying not to skip through the pages. The ending was kind of unfulfilling.

The first 10 pages do a reasonably good job of setting up the inciting event--going to Boulder City to meet girls. However, the characters are pretty flat for the rest of the script. Your script/movie is going to invite comparison to other buddy travel movies like Hangover. Developing the characters--having them grow as a result of the experiences--would help. They also all come across with the same voice. You need to find a way to distinguish them a bit. I'd also suggest you look at livening it up by adopting a non-linear story presentation to generate more interest.

Changing your story a bit, I'd start it with Brian in jail. He's talking to the homeless guy which flips back to introducing B and Mitch, more than what you provided. Fuller profiles. Advance it forward to when they decide to make the trip. Boom, you've set up your inciting incident. Flash forward to the girls and his buddies, talking to the officer. They explain what happened via flashback. Zip forward we see him walking out of the jail with them. They go to the party. They're having a good time and now in talking to the Sorority girls, flash back to how it started with the deer and Denny's. Flash forward to the party with fraternity guys. etc. Now the comment from the homeless guy helping them comes to full play when he takes them to a shelter (This is a slight change from your story). And more flips as needed. The ending with the Denny's manager is fine.

If you tell this story straight, the pacing and the plot action drags. By putting a narrative flashback in the middle of a later scene and then returning to lead immediately into a critical situation that you resolve, could help you pump up the action and make the elements of your story less predictable. Writing non-linear takes more planning, yet I think would work well for this piece.

The ideas are good. The formatting has a few dings, but overall, is good. What doesn't work for me is the pacing and characters. This is a guy flick but lacks energy and action. They come across as shallow losers who bumble through annoying circumstances. It has potential if you can inject some energy and depth.

Last edited:
The script is balanced format wise. There is a good use of white space and action to break up the dialogue. What I would suggest looking at is the pacing. Part of this is due to the lack of story structure. A happens, then B, then C, then .... You don't want your story to be so predictable. I kept hoping it would veer off in some wild way, and it didn't. It kept pulling back.

While that may be how the events played out, sometimes the story needs to spice things up. Nothing significant has happened up to page 29. I couldn't tell a half-hour into the movie, is this supposed to be a comedy or adventure? By page 40, the only thing that's happened is they haven't managed to get dates yet. After 40 pages, I forced myself continue reading trying not to skip through the pages. The ending was kind of unfulfilling.

The first 10 pages do a reasonably good job of setting up the inciting event--going to Boulder City to meet girls. However, the characters are pretty flat for the rest of the script. Your script/movie is going to invite comparison to other buddy travel movies like Hangover. Developing the characters--having them grow as a result of the experiences--would help. They also all come across with the same voice. You need to find a way to distinguish them a bit. I'd also suggest you look at livening it up by adopting a non-linear story presentation to generate more interest.

Changing your story a bit, I'd start it with Brian in jail. He's talking to the homeless guy which flips back to introducing B and Mitch, more than what you provided. Fuller profiles. Advance it forward to when they decide to make the trip. Boom, you've set up your inciting incident. Flash forward to the girls and his buddies, talking to the officer. They explain what happened via flashback. Zip forward we see him walking out of the jail with them. They go to the party. They're having a good time and now in talking to the Sorority girls, flash back to how it started with the deer and Denny's. Flash forward to the party with fraternity guys. etc. Now the comment from the homeless guy helping them comes to full play when he takes them to a shelter (This is a slight change from your story). And more flips as needed. The ending with the Denny's manager is fine.

If you tell this story straight, the pacing and the plot action drags. By putting a narrative flashback in the middle of a later scene and then returning to lead immediately into a critical situation that you resolve, could help you pump up the action and make the elements of your story less predictable. Writing non-linear takes more planning, yet I think would work well for this piece.

The ideas are good. The formatting has a few dings, but overall, is good. What doesn't work for me is the pacing and characters. This is a guy flick but lacks energy and action. They come across as shallow losers who bumble through annoying circumstances. It has potential if you can inject some energy and depth.

First thanks for reading, I always feel like it's a lot to ask people to read more than a few pages, so I do appreciate it.

Because I'm so close to this story I think it's been hard for me not to write it as it happened, same goes for the other characters, in my head I know how they sound, so I guess I need to write them in a way the audience can hear their differences as well.

As first drafts go I'm happy with this one, I think I need to let this breathe for a week or so to clear my head and refocus.

Again thanks for the notes, they are appreciated.

Because I'm so close to this story I think it's been hard for me not to write it as it happened, same goes for the other characters, in my head I know how they sound, so I guess I need to write them in a way the audience can hear their differences as well.

As first drafts go I'm happy with this one, I think I need to let this breathe for a week or so to clear my head and refocus.

As a first draft you should pat yourself on the back. IT'S WRITTEN. Lot of writers struggle to get that far. I appreciate that this is based on personal experiences. Unfortunately, real life often makes for dull movies. No matter how incredible, events must be altered to tell a visual story. That's why such movies often have "based on" attached. (Even reality TV is scripted as witnessed by the WGA reality writers' picket. Somebody has to script in the backstabbing and conniving so predictably quintessential to reality tv.)

A friend's wedding was an example of everything that could go wrong. It was like a train wreck which would have been captured on video if the videographer hadn't been stuck on the highway. As funny as these wedding incidents were (in hindsight, of course), they don't make a good movie--sometimes a Funniest Home Video two minute clip. Movie weddings go over the top with calamity.

Your experiences are humorous but not over the top. The truck spinning out in front of the Denny's came close, suggesting a "Planes, Trains, Automobiles" scene. For your script, ask yourself, "What would have made this situation worse?" Then drop your characters into it. Force them (through you) to find a solution. Rather than resolving each problem, stack them.

Obviously your friends will recognize themselves in the characters. Even so, you need to really pull out and magnify differences. How does B feel about the divorce in your movie? He comes across as cavalier. Was he already playing the field on her? Maybe she's playing around on him. That's a piece you can explore. Mitch comes across as clueless about women. You might alter his character a bit to be more the technogeek of the group. Brian seems to be the 'every guy' character. Again rather than simply making them cardboard, you want to highlight how they are different and can still be friends. Use their different strengths to get out of the increasingly bad situations they find themselves in.

You survived the real life experiences because they were tolerably bad. In the movie, you really want to put your characters through a grueling hell. And as a result, let them win in the end in proportion. They should get the girls who perhaps are hitchhiking back where the base is located. Two of the guys and gals in the back of the pickup, and one pair in the front. Closing with them laughing and driving past the Denny's. Then you flip to the scene with the manager inside.

Take some time to clear your head then get back in there. Really torture your movie characters, make them work to get the girls in the end. Shine a bright light on the incidents to cast deep shadows that make it a cinematic experience. In the end it works best as a comedy "based on" your experiences rather than "an account of" your experiences.

Be optimistic about this piece. It shows good potential. Now that it's out of your head, you can start the process of refining it. :)

I read the whole 80 pages. That must be some kinda record. Oftentimes I try to read a 10-page script and can't even get past the first 2 pages.

This must be the best thing I've read since joining Indietalk. It will make a great comedy. I had plenty of laughs. Thanks for that.

As it is, it's already better than a lot of indie stuff I read or see. Could it be material for a movie that would screen at Cannes or Toronto? I could be wrong but I think it's still not up to that standard. It could be if you work on it.

I agree with a lot of things FantasySciFi said.

I thought the 3 characters were pretty much inter-changeable. I couldn't hear differences in their voices. The first thing I read from you was a story about a sex obsessed guy. I think the dialogues were better in that piece. I could picture the different characters very vividly. But I don't know how much of a problem this really is. If you get good actors they might be able to individualized the characters. It would be an interesting question to ask to seasoned film directors. Can skilled actors individualize characters who are flat in the script?

I also agree with FantasySciFi when he says that if you want to take this script to the next level you need to be less faithful to your memory and make things a little crazier, sharper. But I wouldn't take The Hangover as a model. Things were crazy but in a very contrived way. You don't need this. I had one single laugh from that movie. I already like your script better.

It looks like you have a number of scripts lined up. Your body of work is already impressive. Maybe you should pick one and try to take it to the level where a studio exec would seriously consider it.

Thanks for reading it Theo, and I'm glad that it kept you reading for all 80 pages, that in itself is an accomplishment, so thanks.

My issue with the characters is that I know what they said and i know and how they said it, re-reading it i completely agree, they don't differentiate themselves enough so it's definitely something that I want to work on that I think will add something to the script.

Where the last one that you read from me is definitely dialogue/character driven, this was always going to be more about the situations they get into and their reactions rather than what they were saying about it, if you know what I mean.

also after re-reading i apologize for the many grammatical and spelling mistakes, lol.

Again though, thanks for reading and for the helpful comments and notes, it means a lot.

Last edited:
Thought it was great, concise action, crisp dialogue. I couldn't read the whole thing but it seems pretty on point maybe some minor gramar checks but thats really it. It might format differently once it becomes a shooting script but all in all I think it was good.

The hostage situation with police involvement, that was fiction, right? You said the script was mostly a true story but that episode seems pretty wild. That could be an example of spicing up reality.

The hostage situation with police involvement, that was fiction, right? You said the script was mostly a true story but that episode seems pretty wild. That could be an example of spicing up reality.

yeah that was fiction, about 10% of what is written right now is fiction. I tried for this first draft to be as accurate to memory as I could without making it completely dull. As I refine it, it will more than likely lose some of its link to reality, but i guess that's ok. People go to see movies to escape reality, right?

I've thought about it, but I think this has a long way to go before it's ready for that, this is just the first draft. perhaps after I've let it breathe and rewritten it I will submit it somehwhere.

Back