• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first documentary

Interesting concept, well shot and great sound - but I only made it about 3 minutes in. It doesn't really seem to go anywhere, or have any structure - it's just one person after another in a seemingly random order. That's fine for a short piece, but this version seems too long - I think if you pulled just the one line from each person that's at the core of their advice it would be a good length and work better. You might also consider grouping them by similarity, so that there's a conceptual flow from one person to the next.

I agree on the cutting it shorter part... Realized that AFTER posting and then didn't want to re-upload. Maybe I should :/.... but I was kinda just doing it for fun to be honest.

As for it being randomized, it was actually the order of how the day went and I thought it worked well. That way you are getting diff concepts every time and you just never know what people will say. As opposed to grouping, say, 5 similar things, it could get boring. But then again, if I cut it faster maybe it wouldn't be boring.

Next time=better.

Thanks

Not that it is a new format, but I did something very similar recently-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1_e1Wf5u6o

I would agree that the length is too long and that the answers stop being enlightening after a while. Also, I would strongly recommend using the focus assist on the 5D to get a sharper image.
I remember when I started working on mine I had a producer from werk werk works look over my project proposal and she gave some nice insight. She reminded me that as an artist a project like this is risky because you are essentially letting strangers be your voice. It looks like you found PLENTY of people to answer your question, but in the editing is where a piece like this will really become alive. I'm sure you've had to kill your babies in past projects :)
Good effort though and I like where it is going!

Back