Music Videos: How much should we Charge?

When musicians ask a filmmaker to do a music video, how much should be charged? Should it be the same rates that are charged for other video productions like indie news shows, low-budget films or weddings, OR should music videos have a separate rate card?

How much should filmmakers charge musicians for a music video?

If you are dealing with the record label, you can get your rate, if dealing directly with the band, remember musicians are broke.

If you are dealing with the record label, you can get your rate, if dealing directly with the band, remember musicians are broke.

I am dealing directly with the band/musician. Any suggestions on a price range would be great. I have usually received between $100-$400 just for videography services and maybe some light editing but am not sure what type of price range should be considered when working directly with bands/musicians.

Start with what you usually receive. See what they say. If that's too
high for them and you really want the gig, then ask them what they
can afford. If they can't afford what you're comfortable with you'll have
to part ways.

It's really difficult to know what an acceptable price range might be. I
base my rate on my experience, my salary needs and the local market.
In addition to the creative aspects. You could use that criteria, too.

How much creative control are you giving the band? If they are going to be calling shots, and you are delivering a product upon their satisfaction, you need to consider that, and possibly work on an hourly basis once you have come to a certain point. A way of doing it could be, you will shoot and edit a music video as the director with the band's concept for a certain rate, and any changes they want to make that deviate from the original concept will cost $? hr. extra. A well written contract is a must.

It's not like you're doing business with a rich oil company here. If it's an unsigned band then understand that they are probably just throwing away their money to make a music video that will only wind up on YouTube. Only the biggest stars get their video played on what's left of MTV and VH1's airtime. Does MTV2 even air music videos anymore? Even if consumers like the video then 9 out of 10 people will just download the band's music off of PirateBay. Bands make their money off of touring these days. ; )

It's not like you're doing business with a rich oil company here. If it's an unsigned band then understand that they are probably just throwing away their money to make a music video that will only wind up on YouTube. Only the biggest stars get their video played on what's left of MTV and VH1's airtime. Does MTV2 even air music videos anymore? Even if consumers like the video then 9 out of 10 people will just download the band's music off of PirateBay. Bands make their money off of touring these days. ; )

Blade Jones,

If the only televised music video programs that you have access to are on MTV and VH1 networks, I feel bad for you. While I agree with you to the extent that many bands don't get a lot of airplay on TV with their music videos, there are at the very least 2 programs in my area (and these are only the ones that I know about...there could be more) that play both mainstream music videos and also videos from unsigned bands and these TV programs are shown on popular channels.

So while bands make their money touring, there are outlets that are willing to air the music videos on television. They just have to do some research and approach these outlets, just as filmmakers have to research potential distributors or venues to screen their films, despite the fact that the filmmaking industry is very crowded and competitive right now.

Horaay for unsigned bands!

:)

Back