• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Multi-Camera Slating

For you guys that use multiple cameras, or if you haven't but know how, how do you slate two cameras running at once?

On our shot lists we're grouping angles shot simultaneously next to each other, example 5A is camera 1 wide master and 5B is camera 2 shooting medium or something. In the past we just slated "5A" and made notes that cam 1 was wide and can 2 is medium but I don't like that in post as much. So, one slate that reads "5A + 5B" or individual slates, and just one guy calling "scene 5a and 5b, take 1" for audio sync then cam 1 always claps first?

Honestly, clapping (really beeping, we're using DSLR slate) is a moot point. I'm using Pluraleyes so it syncs everything wether it's clapped or not, but I want first video frames to be slates for ease of logging, and someone calling the shot at the top of every audio file.

Thanks guys!

We used one slate with all info on it, so for example the camera line was divided into "A" "B" and "C." Then we clapped it up to three times (or once or twice if two or three cameras happened to all be able to see it, rarely).

The worst part about multi-camera shoots, and why I now argue against them in my own pre-production meetings, is the amount of time it takes to organize each take. The scripty and PAs calling all that info, notating, clapping the slate three times (or clapping three slates)...it seems like AGES between when everything is set and when I can yell "action." That time is better spent making better individual setups.

Back