Moving green screen

Hey everyone

For a short film I'm working on we have a couple of scenes (wide shots) where the actors walk on a hill and the background (beyond the hill-outline) will get replaced in post. So we were thinking of doing this with a green screen that gets moved with the actors behind them. Then in post mask the green screen and key it out.

Would you say this would work? Or is this a bad idea?

Can you think of any potential problems we could run in to? (apart from properly lightning the green screen).

I dont know how long yet.
Its the view on a hill ontu a city in the background.
No camera movement.
The city will be replaced.
So the hill outline will have to be masked and the walking actors which rise above the hill line as well.

do you know what I mean?

With the right location and angle, you can make this a sky replacement problem..

Or..

Depending on how wide the shot it might just be easier to rotoscope the actors out.
The farther away from the camera, the less detail the outline of the actors is going to have, so the hassle of a moving green screen might not be worth the effort when compared to effort to rotoscope 10 seconds of low motion footage.

Along those same lines, if you can sufficiently blur the background when you shot (shallow DOF), you might be able to add some garbage masks and use the sky replacement method (see videocopilot.net tutorials)

Also, if the new background is in anyway similar to the real one, maybe you can incorporate your changed environment ABOVE the actors, thereby removing the need to green screen all together.

We're going to do some test shots in a couple of days so I'll see whats possible and what not.

The problem I fear facing is that some part of the actors will be in a space where the background will be replaced and which I cant easily key out.

Thanks for your help tough. That sky replacement video from videocopilot is really awesome.

Well, you have the advantage of surprise :) The scene doesn't know your shooting for visual effects, so that works to your advantage with camera placement. Be sure and try some extreme and odd angles.

Be sure and visualize the entire sequence, not just the shot. For example, if you shot only a few shots with the background in view, and in those shots there's little movement, then the visual effect becomes easier.

Say for example your scene calls for two guys walking and talking as they approach the bombed out city..

The wide shot, your BIG money shot, has the camera directly behind them, they are walking over the crest of the hill, the desolate city rises before them.. ..we just see the silhouettes against the skyline, feet going up and down.. (not too hard to use a portable green screen or rotoscope..)

Now you cut to some classic over the shoulder dialog.. as this is close up and shallow DOF, the background is all blurry anyway, and isn't showing the city in the background, maybe just a hint of it..

Now the next shot the camera faces the actors directly (the city is NOW BEHIND the camera) and we can see the actors reaction to the city.. not the city it self..

then the camera switches to show what the actors were looking at.. from the POV of the actors we see the whole wasted city in a panoramic slow pan.

In these shots, only the wide shot has the actors and the city in the frame at the same time..

as an alternative I wanted to suggest something different for the big money shot above.
Say we have our actors walking UP the hill, but they are not over the top yet.. say just 3/4 the way up the hill.. we KNOW they are going to go over the hill soon.. but we don't really need to show that.. this makes the masking and special effect SUPPER easy (relatively speaking), just replace whats "behind" the hill with your great set graphics...

If you did this, then you NEVER have the actors and the effect in the same part of the screen a the same time.. which makes this much more practical.

In another shot we have the actors walking down the center of the deserted street...

Find a high spot, like an overpass, put the camera there. Picture this shot like an isometric video game shot.... The actors stay in the center of the street, plenty of payment between them and the side walk, set up a wide frame so we see lots of the real city... (we replace the real later...)

Now in post we can just MASK a largish area around the actors walking on the REAL street and replace the rest with our graphics... again no green screen required, just good subject placement in the real world. The key is to try and NOT have your actors and the special effect in the same part of the frame at the same time..

(See the videocopiolt.net tutorial on set extension... )

Oh, and the moving green screen should work to!. You just need some frames and some bodies to haul it around.

If your sky is a clean sky...and stands out from your scenery (bright blue with no clouds let's say), you can key that out no problem.

If you have a lot of detail in your sky, or the color from the sky bleeds into the environment, you'll have a helluva time keying it out.

A green screen (very large one) would come in handy. If you had a sound stage to shoot on with a massive greenscreen, that would be great, but I imagine that's not an option.

Also, if you lock-down your camera for the shot (no movement at all), the entire process will be much easier.

Great Article TOBIB.. thatnks..

I like how this
BOE_HATCH_VFX_03B.jpg

becomes this

BOE_HATCH_VFX_03A.jpg

Great example of what M1chae1 is getting at (and very like what you describe in the OP).. using the existing sky (in this case blown out) for the matte..

I wanted to thank you again for that link. Iv been hitting it all day, the more I study those few examples, the more I realize how this can be done. Sure, Iv been over many a videocopilot.net tut, but there is just something about the simple still photos that remove all the "technique" distractions ..

Back