• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Movie Poster for DRAWING WITH CHALK

Hey Everyone,

I recently posted the poster for my feature film (done in Photoshop). Here it is:

poster2a.jpg

For more info about the film (trailer, blog, etc.) check out www.drawingchalkpictures.com

Thanks.

Todd

Thanks All,

We had a SAG Ultra-low budget contract (myself and 6 other actors are SAG; funny when you have to pay yourself...) and worked on about $116,000 (mostly self financed with a lot of help from credit cards...). More than half of that money was for equipment. I bought everything so I could learn how to use it and renting wasn't an option (we shot over a course of 8 months). My vision was that I could make a low budget film but not look cheap. I also knew I could sell off most of what I bought. We are fortunate that there are companies out there who offer tools for us filmmakers to help us compete with 'the big boys'.

We had a very small crew (most of the time it was my DP, 1st AC, 1 grip/gaffer, 1 sound operator). I set up most of the equipment (dolly, crane, car rig, etc) and did some shooting myself since we had a small crew (we paid everyone but I knew I had an 'epic' vision that really required a larger crew and wanted to do whatever I could to help out). Myself and my film partner (Christopher Springer) did most of the grunt work (hard sometimes since we were the main actors as well as writers/producers and I also directed). We were fortunate that everyone involved really believed in the project so they went above and beyond what I had hoped for. Tough thing for a crew when dealing with a first time film director.

We shot with the Panasonic HVX200 (720 24pN) with the Letus Extreme adapter (Nikon lenses). Every shot had an adapter on it. We mostly used a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 85mm (though I had 10 lenses to choose from... a lot of researching and trusting ebay).

I also recorded all of the music with my band in my home studio (the same studio in the film). We did record the drum tracks in a nearby studio (my wife would have freaked even more if I had to do the drums at home; she was mostly a saint during that tough shoot).

For the post production, I saved a lot of money since I edited the film myself and did all of the post sound production. This has been a long trip, but well worth it. I'm not sure how the film will be received by the 'general audience', but I do believe that most people hit that age when they realize that they really aren't doing what they thought they'd be doing. What's worse, is when you hit that age and realize that you're too old...

We are currently submitting to festivals and will have a private invite only screening in NY next month (if anyone is near NYC and really want to see the film, let me know).

I will keep everyone updated and thanks again for your comments.

All the best.

Todd

Todd quick question. I keep hearing indy filmmaker maxing out credit cards and their life savings for their projects. I am assuming that you guys intend on striking a distribution deal at one of the film festivals to compensate correct?

Todd quick question. I keep hearing indy filmmaker maxing out credit cards and their life savings for their projects. I am assuming that you guys intend on striking a distribution deal at one of the film festivals to compensate correct?

Unfortunately this is true for most of us indie filmmakers. We did have investments of $25,000 but I did purchase the equipment on credit cards. Not the smart thing to do but it was the only thing to do (in order to make this film).

I graduated with high honors with an BFA in Performance so that right there goes to show I'm a gambler. The success story of those who did exactly what I'm doing always encourages us (but there are so many non-successes you never hear about that bring reality into the mix). I really believe this film has potential (at least to make it's money back) but it isn't going to be easy. We have to hope for a big festival to take a chance on us and we have to have a smart PR campaign. Promote. Promote. Promote.

As far as the credit cards. Yes, I have to work hard to pay them off and I have lost sleep over them. But I had to take this chance. Like I told my wife "If I don't do this (make the film) I know what I'll be doing a year from now and the year after that and so on. But if I do this film, who knows what I could be doing a year from now."

This is the kind of business that things can happen 'overnight'. Granted you have to have a great script, great acting, great.... well, you get the idea. The way I see it, this film is 'my stock market' and I've made a huge investment (and we've seen how the real market works). This film is also my second eduction. This film is my last chance.

I do have other talents to fall back on and this film can become my resume (aside from writing, directing, producing and acting) I did all of the editing, sound production, logo design, poster design, music, website, etc.) so at the very least I can work freelance.

If this film does become 'successful', I probably wouldn't recommend to other new filmmakers to follow this path and get in over your head financially, but as i've said before, I'm a gambler...

Todd

Unfortunately this is true for most of us indie filmmakers. We did have investments of $25,000 but I did purchase the equipment on credit cards. Not the smart thing to do but it was the only thing to do (in order to make this film).

I've pursued my dream of performing (i'm a magician) twice, and both times my wife started out supporting me and then kind of back peddled when things started not working out, its a shame I had to go back into the workforce of a full-time job but it is the reality , its a bigger shame when those closest to you don't really support it and say it's not possible even if it is in your own eyes, I applaud you for taking a chance and pursuing your dream, (i'll never give up on mine) from the looks of the trailer, I was hooked and wanted to see what the outcome of the movie was, and would gladly pay to see it (unlike a lot of the crap coming out of hollywood). It definetely looks like a professionally done movie, I just hope my first short looks this good.

I believe you should go for it ! Most of the people who don't believe you can make it have never had a fire burning in them to create and to do what they love, they are content with the everyday rat race, doing what someone else has planned for them.
- PYRO

Best wishes for you and your endeavors .

I believe you should go for it ! Most of the people who don't believe you can make it have never had a fire burning in them to create and to do what they love, they are content with the everyday rat race, doing what someone else has planned for them.
- PYRO

Best wishes for you and your endeavors .

This is true. Some peoples dream is to make as much money as they can (regardless how they do it and if they're happy doing it). I know people who hate their jobs, but love the money they make. To me that doesn't make sense.

My wife has been great, but we have had our difficulties. She doesn't come from a 'creative' family (even now her mother is always telling me I should go into my own business.... not realizing that filmmaking is a business). I love them both, but the creative fire doesn't mean much to them. My wife is now starting to feel that passion I have but it's taken over 13 years for that to happen. She always stood by me (even in the old rock band days in NYC) and it was never a problem if it didn't take me away from my 'day job' or cost money. Now she knows what this film has cost me (and she didn't freak out as much as I thought). She also knows this is a good film. But.... she also knows the probability of success or just breaking even.

We in the arts are in a tough business. We face disappointments, discouragements, and a struggle for the 'normal' world to understand: Being creative isn't what we do. It's what we are. And this is what we will be until we are no longer.

I hate getting too headsy so I'll leave it at that (I'm starting to sound like I'm trying to sell a self-help book:D).

I know I'm not the first person to say it but will leave one last anecdote: A dream will always be just that, a dream. Unless YOU make that dream a reality.

Todd

ps, I think I need a beer :beer:

Back