Movie of the Month Club -- who wants in?

Sounds like a good system! And I'll hold off on recommending too many German splatter films ;)

Actually, there are a ton of movies I can think of that could use a good hard look. This should be a lot of fun!

I like the system! let's do this!

The only thing is that this thread will turn into a cluster funk pretty quick, with the amount of participant here :)

Maybe "Movie Club - NAME OF THE MOVIE , DATE" threads?

I'd love to join this club, under same conditions as NickClapper. Some movies might not be available in Europe unless you buy them online.
Cracker, did you have specific kinds of movies in mind? Some genres, we should keep out or no big budget mainstream films?

Okay, if I can watch (if the Netflix movie sucks) while working (movie on left side of monitor screen, final draft software on right side)?

Always open to expanding my unlimited horizon... I am sure there are many jewels (movies) yet to be discovered by my eyes, ears and brain.

I watch at least 10 movies a week already, what is one more?

I'm in.

Cracker, did you have specific kinds of movies in mind? Some genres, we should keep out or no big budget mainstream films?
This touches on a point that's kinda is important to me, especially when I'm "investing" more than just casual, token or flippant time into a project.

I suggest analyzing & deconstructing either a genuine independent film - or - a magor/mini-major studio release that had issues, especially with public opinion about it.

Rottentomatoes.com has a more sensible apples-to-apples critic v. public rating system than metacritic.com which tends to be rather cryptic and less intuitive.

I would like for this to not be a "book of the month club" AKA "let's go watch our favorite movies and discus!" project.

I wanna look at plane crashes and collapsed bridges.
I want to know where and how they failed and what can I/we learn from those take-aways so as to not repeat those in our critically budgeted attempts.

Indie films have no budget to spare for mistakes and misguided judgments.
Because the margin for error is nil I'd like to get the most bang for my buck.

FWIW, I'm mildly fascinated with the BABYLON A.D. debacle.
It had everything but still failed both in the box office and with audiences.
Why?
Nuts and bolts.

When I watched the 2010 indie films I could tell why they didn't get wide release. They were largely effing miserable dramas.
Indie filmmakers are forced to make these because studios/investors are smart enough to know hardly anyone wants to see these - yet - sometimes miserable movies, like NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN or THERE WILL BE BLOOD, do fantastic both in the box office and critically.
Why?
Nuts and bolts.

Why were the miserable NCFOM or TWBB so popular while other miserable indie films get no theater owners to book 'em from distributors?
Nuts and bolts.

I hope this approach strikes a cogent chord for some.

Yes.

Was the screenplay flawed?
Is the premise lame - so, WTH was everyone above line thinking?
Did the director or studio flub it?
Did the budget hamstring it?
How did the editors drop the ball?
What it needed was more X and less Y.
Why did we go "Meh... " when we did, and how often?
How would we do it better?
If taking on a similar project how would our approach be different?
Was the film tailored to the audience and satisfy their needs?
Break down and try to understand WHY the director/editor/studio chose to make the decisions that they made rather than just complain about their fails.
Etc.

And the reverse should be true too...what did this film (be it inaccessable indie film or big time bomb) do RIGHT? What worked and why wasn't that enough?
D@mn fine point, Josh.
"This looks good. Why does the audience not gobble this cr@p up, still"?
WTH?!

Last edited:
Good point, and I can dig it! And the reverse should be true too...what did this film (be it inaccessable indie film or big time bomb) do RIGHT? What worked and why wasn't that enough?

I am a firm believer in the philosophy that you can learn something from EVERYTHING, regardless of relative skill level, quality or experience!

Access to the movie is very important. We can't just make it that anyone can pick any movie, because many people will have a difficult time getting that. Yes, the movies must be from Netflix instant queue, strictly. Yes, that is a limitation. However, that is the least limiting database of movies available to the general public. I know that not everyone on here subscribes to it, but most people do. In America, anyway -- I apologize again to those outside of America.

There are many movies that aren't on instant queue, so that's limiting, but if you can't find a good movie on there, you ain't lookin.

There are no restrictions on what someone can recommend (other than it has to be on instant queue). Those kind of restrictions would be too subjective. This is where the democratization becomes important. This first month, you know that I am going to recommend "Avatar", and wheat is going to recommend that Ayn Rand movie, but surely, Dready will recommend some awesome little indie gem. It's up to you to vote on it. ;)

Voting begins tonight, cuz I said I would give it 24 hours. And yes, each month will have it's own thread.

As we say in my beloved Motherland, and mighty birthplace of Soviet Russia: do not fear russian tanks, fear its drunken occupants!

Let's get started!

PS: don't know why I had to use the russian saying. But it just felt RIGHT.... don't judge me.

Last edited:
I dont have netflix so ill just search netflix and make sure its available there when i make my suggestion.

http://www.netflix.com/BrowseSelection

Is that the right place is instant queue different from that?

That looks like a really annoying way to browse movies, but yes, those are all on instant queue. On a side-note, you should get it. It's only 8 bucks a month, and I totally get my money's worth.

Oh, and dlevanchuk -- I love the tank euphemism. I'm totally gonna use that in real life.

I would like for this to not be a "book of the month club" AKA "let's go watch our favorite movies and discus!" project.

I wanna look at plane crashes and collapsed bridges.
I want to know where and how they failed and what can I/we learn from those take-aways so as to not repeat those in our critically budgeted attempts.

Ray, part of me agrees with you. But mostly, I was excited about this because I want to be introduced to good movies I haven't seen yet, or have an excuse to re-watch an old favorite. Now, like C-Funk says, this is a democratic kinda thing, so if someone wants the movie we watch and discuss to be a bad one that we can all learn from, that's cool with me too.

This first month, you know that I am going to recommend "Avatar", and wheat is going to recommend that Ayn Rand movie, but surely, Dready will recommend some awesome little indie gem. It's up to you to vote on it. ;)

Voting begins tonight, cuz I said I would give it 24 hours. And yes, each month will have it's own thread.

:lol: How well you know me. Actually I've got a couple little indie gems I found on IQ just now. But I think my first pick is going to be my favorite movie ever.

Should the nominators PM you their selections so you can add a poll to the thread when you create it?

As we say in my beloved Motherland, and mighty birthplace of Soviet Russia: do not fear russian tanks, fear its drunken occupants!

:lol: I'm gonna use that.

But also, fear Mother Russia when she's drunk!

Is there no way that we could copy and paste the Netflix queue titles into this thread?

Hate to be Mr Not America but we can't even visit that link. It just redirects us to a change of country/registering page :(

Is there no way that we could copy and paste the Netflix queue titles into this thread?

Hate to be Mr Not America but we can't even visit that link. It just redirects us to a change of country/registering page :(

I'll do my best. As of now, it's a moot point, because all three of this month's recommenders have the service. But when the time comes, I will definitely make an effort to assist in the selection-process, if the recommender is outside of US, or just doesn't subscribe to it. :yes:

There must be thousands. Hmmm, if no one comes up with a way to do this, i can always run the title/titles for you and let u know if they're in there.

Back