most important advice

I would agree with rayw...

A film can look good, be shot with a great camera, have amazing technical aspects, etc... but if the story and the underlying content of the film isn't fully developed or not there, it won't really be all that great.. content>flashy looks

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a technical standpoint:

"Sound is half of the experience."

Otherwise, story and interesting characters rule.

Don't give up when your not happy with your audience number, especially on Youtube.
I have to agree with most of these replies. Story is everything.
I have seen tons of youtubers for example who have great equipment and our outstanding in post with effects, Everything looks great but the dialogue and overall plot is horrendous. Then I have seen some Youtubers with very very VERY low budget equipment with great story lines. Overall the youtubers with better stories go WAY father. But great Equipment is a must have too when you get more serious. Good luck!

I'll have to agree with Joel and Ethan Coen:

"Make the shooting schedule as long as you can, even if you have to sacrifice other things that seem important. The trade-off towards time for shooting is always the smart one to make. The big compromises you make are the result of not enough time to shoot. Cut anything that costs money...pay people less. You're always going to be better off the more days you have."

Storyboard as much as you can, rehearse at your filming locations (if you can), test ALL your equipment. You want to get in and get out, while having fun.

Also, have a script that you're confident of, make people believe that its great (well, it should be!). Nothings worse than a director/writer who could care less about the story, which then makes everyone else care even less. Then it becomes a chore to get done, rather than a fun hobby.

Have FUN!

Also, realize that we're not curing cancer here. If something goes wrong, deal with it. It's not the end of the world. Figure out a way to fix it or cut it or whatever you have to do to make it work, and don't freak out in front of your crew and your cast, because that's not going to help morale. If you think on your feet and keep a positive attitude, you can likely salvage whatever situation you find yourself in (or at least be able to look back on it and laugh in the future, with your cast and crew).

Most of us are not yet at the pro level, and, as much as it sucks to even say it, a lot of us never will be. So if we aren't having fun with it in the meantime, what's the point?

Based on the shorts I've made...NEVER forget why you're doing this. If I ever forgot how much I enjoyed making films and turned it into "obligatory work", I would lose my mind. Take it easy and enjoy yourself.

Back