MONSTERS

Just watched the film at the cinema. Really, really enjoyed it.

The title is a little misleading (this is certainly no action movie) but I think the slight irony of it is quite effective.

The special effects are unbelievable, especially if you watch some behind the scenes footage, because it's not just the monsters and helicopters that are being put in, but all the minute detail from road signs to border points. That was money well spent, however much it was...

I think this is one of the most inspirational tales on indie filmmaking, simply because it looks and feels like a 100 million dollar movie...

An exchange I had on another forum:

"Also, I'm glad a few of you said it wasn't very good. It lowered my expectations so much that I found I really enjoyed it."

Cool! That's what I wanted my post to do - put expectations in check. It's not that it is a bad movie at all. As long as you know it doesn't play up to the expectations of a title like MONSTERS, it is a good watch. If it had been called THE JOURNEY, I would not bang on it at all!

I've not wathced it yet, although it got my interest when I saw it mentioned on a film programme. It one best director or something at a British independent film award thing.
Worth checking out?

I've not wathced it yet, although it got my interest when I saw it mentioned on a film programme. It one best director or something at a British independent film award thing.
Worth checking out?

I loved it. It is NOT Cloverfield or an action-y or even very sci fi. It's very slow, but I loved this movie MONSTERS. It's a great character piece with a sci fi back drop.

Someone who listened to me... :D

No one ever listens to the sound guy. Sound is not important until post production when we wonder why it just doesn't sound good on it's own....

sarcasm.gif

Just saw that Gareth Edwards has signed on to direct Warner Bros retelling of Godzilla...

See? Good things can come of making little movies...

I note the 35mm adapter on his video camera (letus elite!) not a dslr, just sayin.. :) (but it was in 2009, I bet if he was STARTING that project today it would be T2i)

I note the 35mm adapter on his video camera (letus elite!) not a dslr, just sayin.. :) (but it was in 2009, I bet if he was STARTING that project today it would be T2i)

Nope. He talks about the 5D option in an article in POST magazine and DV magazine and he said he just liked the Sony EX1 better and for the visual FX, the codec was much better without any jello effect.

This looks like something I very much want to see. Is it via VOD on DirecTV or any cable co's? I have not ever seen it listed. I certainly want to watch it in HD and not SD. I'm such an HD whore now. I refuse to rent DVD or watch SD VOD content.

MONSTERS is due out in Feb on Blu Ray.

Gareth Edwards just got signed to direct the newest U.S. remake of GODZILLA...

Never stated in any of the literature I read.
It might be in one/some interviews.
All I saw & read was Photoshop & After Effects.
The most frequent "other" software I hear mentioned with those two is Maya, and I know there's another program that allows you match the movement of your VFX layer to the movement in the scene, but I forgot the name of it.

I think CamVader is taking a class in this stuff.
He might know.

Back