Mixed reviews only god forgives

Having seen the trailer I really want to see this film, reviews are popping up like mad slating the performance etc, has anyone seen it, what are your thoughts? Will you see it?

The movie is something that most people are not going to like .

First of all Only God Forgives is extremely slow . And believe me even god will not forgive how boring this movie was.

The cinematography is great , BUT it is like watching a modern Kubrick movie . Almost everything was one point perspectives which just reminds you of how the director wanted to make his movie look like Kubrick and it just pulls you out of the story . One point perspective of hotel hallways all the time like The Shining etc .

There is barely any dialogue in this film and Ryan Gosling doesn't open his mouth for more than a couple of times for the entire movie . I am pointing this out because some people watch this film mainly for Ryan Gosling , but he is incredibely boring in this film . He basically does nothing and I am not sure that he knows the camera is rolling and they are actually filming something .

I didn't cared about a single character ,not even the kid . If they chopped his hands off I wouldn't care .

The cinematography is the only thing that saves this film of everybody hating it , because the pacing and the execution are not good .

HOWEVER .

This movie has very symbolic things . It is a bit like 2001 where you have to interpret a lot of things for yourself. The good thing about the movie is not the movie itself but what happens after the movie.

If you wasn't pissed off so bad of how terrible this movie was , you'll start looking for people who actually tell you the symbolic in this movie and explain you everything including the end and suddenly things will start to make sense and in the end you might like it .

However this is one of those artsy movie but we live in the same universe where people say that Eat from 1963 which is a static shot of man eating for 39 minutes have a lot of symbolic shit and it is a masterpeace so ..

I love Kubrick , I love movies that you really have to thing the movie over but this just had very bad directing as far as execution , pacing and character development .

But hey, you might love it . So if you want artsy movie that you'll probably not understand and have to look for symbolic things in every shot , then watch it . If not ,skip .

Last edited:
Ryan Gosling, who is usually a fairly good actor, his acting looks terrible in the trailer. The'wanna fight' line is so hammy and just made me role my eyes. And for some reason, most of the shots of him his eyes look wide open in an unconvincing cheesy way. And the cinematography although talented, just looks overdone here for my taste. I am actually scared to pay to go see this movie now, just from the trailer.

Ryan Gosling, who is usually a fairly good actor, his acting looks terrible in the trailer. The'wanna fight' line is so hammy and just made me role my eyes. And for some reason, most of the shots of him his eyes look wide open in an unconvincing cheesy way. And the cinematography although talented, just looks overdone here for my taste. I am actually scared to pay to go see this movie now, just from the trailer.

Gosling's acting in this movie is great . His character calls for the way he is telling his lines and acting in the trailer . The thing is that the character itself is not very exciting.

Last edited:
interesting thoughts, im all for out of the norm stuff, im going to see this film in the cinema in august so im hoping it will do me justice, Having just watched Drive for the first time yesterday I am more interested in this movie, I have a feeling that these types of movies are a new generation which are either liked or hated but something completely different to what we expect.

I loved the dark knight rises, everyone i knew hated it..

Lets see what it brings!

I loved The Dark Knight Rises and Drive as well. This movie does not look near as good, but I may be surprised. At least it's not in 3D.

Last edited:
If you like David Lynch movies, you'll like this movie.

If you like samurai movies you'll like this movie.

If you want a David Lynch meets samurai movie meets gritty cop thriller with intense visuals, this is the movie for you.

I saw it and didn't like it. The pacing was hella slow and all of the characters were unlikeable.

Does it matter if the characters are unlikeable though? The Godfather is often considered to the best motion picture ever made, and I did find a single character likable or sympathetic for example.

Last edited:
Does it matter if the characters are unlikeable though? The Godfather is often considered to the best motion picture ever made, and I did find a single character likable for example.

I liked the whole family despite the fact they are murderers and thieves. That is one of the reasons it is one of the best motion pictures of all time. I felt sympathy and sometimes even liked that group of despicable people. Anybody else feel the same way?

Films can be filled with unlikable characters, but usually those films are less enjoyable. Why would you want to watch people you don't like? Why do you care what happens to them?

Does it matter if the characters are unlikeable though? The Godfather is often considered to the best motion picture ever made, and I did find a single character likable or sympathetic for example.

Unlikable and undeveloped characters are completely different things .

Back