• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Mixed Messages - 2011 Festival Cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwiTNin9Sw

http://flickerpictures.com/mixedmessagesmovie.htm

If you haven't already seen the first version, that's OK. I posted it for April 1st to get it out there, and after getting good some feedback about wanting more reactions from Mr. Wilson and maybe trimming out some F-bombs, I incorporated what changes I could make into the new 2011 Festival Cut. Same story, slightly different edit.

Original thread here:

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=29942

You can find the first version on YouTube. It was good, but the one above is, IMO, better.

"Drag it out? I found out like one-second ago..."

Gotta grunt and head-nod to the ending riff.

I do prefer this edit, Jeff. The natural "Being caught mid-conversation" of the Veterinarian was a nice touch.

First time I've seen it and I enjoyed it!

Good to hear some Indietalk voices on there. The whole thing reminded me of A Serious Man which, in my opinion, is one of the best films of the past few years...

Good job :)

Now I have to see A Serious Man! Not sure why I haven't yet.

Thanks for the eyes on the movie. First cut was OK, this one I'm sensing is an improvement. Now, onward to some festivals!

The YouTube link is 'Public' again. I set it to 'private' up until the screening tonight which is happening around 8:00pm EST. It might be one of these on-again, off-again things depending on festival shows and such. Later...

I just finished a Q&A phone session with the live audience in Providence. MM got some positive reactions along with useful feedback from the crowd. Overall consensus? Thumbs up!

Last edited:
potential DVD disc art

picture.php

Hey, Flick!

I saw Hanna last night and they directly mentioned Mixed Messages. I heard the line and remember thinking "Free advertising!"

I think if the video was shorter it would be better. The audience can only watch a guy listening to an answer machine for so long before losing interest. I would probably start the short film out at the 1:01 mark. I think that is when it starts getting interesting. I would probably try to remove at lest 2 more minutes by removing some of the phone calls that were not as interesting or shorting them to the more interesting parts of the calls. This way the clip could be easier for the viewer/listener to enjoy.

Another thing to consider is showing some of the people that leave the messages from them leaving the messages rather than just showing your main actor listening to the machine. Maybe show the band auditioning another guitar player or something instead of needing a banjo guy or somethign durring the message. Stuff like that to make it more interesting to watch. How about showing EMTs or cops putting him in a body bag and carting him out at the end or something like that. Just and idea. Maybe show the wife cheating or packing up the kids and leaving or something like that.

Last edited:
Hey Robert,

Thanks so much for taking the time to check out the film and offer these ideas. They're pretty good, but what can I say? They don't really reflect the simple concept of the movie: one guy vs. nine messages. That's all I was really aiming for.

With all due respect, I'm not asking anyone to get on board with Mixed Messages any more than others are asking me to watch their five minutes (I can't even get through 60 seconds) of muzzle flashes and high school friends running around with plastic guns and fake explosions. ;)

This whole short came about via Wheatgrinder's "1 minute Short Sad Scene" contest and the idea kinda snowballed into more messages. I stuck with 9 because the answering machine went to nine. It was an exercise for me to stay busy with writing and to collaborate with some IndieTalk folks and see if we could make something from nothing. I think we did pretty good.

Sure, maybe some of the messages could be shortened (or written shorter) to speed things along some, but as for cutting to other shots of EMTs, the band, the wife... it just didn't feel like the right choice for this piece. The conceit was to stay with the guy and stay on the machine and voices. For what it's worth, it played really well at its first screening in Providence, Rhode Island. The crowd was engaged and had lots of positive comments afterward. They actually liked the simplicity of the set up.

I'm not in any way saying your take on it is wrong, I'll just say that it's probably not what this short film is about. Maybe I'll make another one!?

Thanks again for the feedback. Always great to get varying opinions on the work we produce.

Cheers.

* I will add that I think it's great that your imagination wandered while watching and it got you thinking about all of these people and different scenarios happening, like the band and stuff. Cool.

Last edited:
Hey man, that was fantastic. I enjoyed it very much.

I'm planning to start a film festival in Toronto this summer and this is exactly the kind of film I was thinking of showing. How would I go about soliciting for your film to show at the festival? You're probably not interested in new festivals, but if you are I'd love to have this piece as one of the films I can show.

By the way, during the message from the doctor, I had to put down my coffee, I was laughing so hard.

Best,
Aveek

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Aveek, I'm all for getting the film out in front of an audience, no matter how new the festival is. Sure thing. I'll visit your website and maybe you can PM me the deets? Glad you liked it!

Back