• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Minimal Shots

I'm toying around with a concept for a short film in my head.
I've had an idea for a way to do the cinematography in a minimalist way.
So I'm wondering if people think using one, or very few angles for a short is a good idea? I like the idea of, since it's largely a conversation between two characters (A prison psychologist and a serial killer on death row), using, for a large section of it, or returning to it for prolonged periods, a single static shot where the camera is in the place of the fourth wall of the room, giving perhaps a voyeuristic feel and looking in on it.
Of course I'd most likely use close up shots and things where necessary.
Just wondering what people think
:)

My style would be considered by some very "retro" and "european" because I'll stay in a shot for whew.. like 30 or 40 seconds sometimes, which by todays ipod commercial style standards is pretty slow paced editing.

In the film, “Adam’s Rib” there is a prison interview scene that
lasts four minutes. One, static shot. Much of that film is shot
that way.

Before you jump into trying that be aware of two, very important
things: the script was written by the amazing team of Ruth Gordon
and Garson Kanin and the actors were Katherine Hepburn and Judy
Holliday. A great script and great actors go a long way.

Interesting the last few short films I've crew'd were going for a more static, contemplative style rather than hyper-cutty with lots of camera motion.

I'm wondering if there's something happening that is part creative backlash and part necessity (when shooting CMOS, static camera == less jello)

Interesting the last few short films I've crew'd were going for a more static, contemplative style rather than hyper-cutty with lots of camera motion.

I'm wondering if there's something happening that is part creative backlash and part necessity (when shooting CMOS, static camera == less jello)

One of my favorite filmmakers, Michel Haneke, is all about this slow meditative style. I can say that for him, it is a back lash to the MTV generation of media. i've been interested in this too, I hope more people start getting back into this. It's only natural though, filmmaking can only move so far in one direction before somebody says "dude, wait, this is lame" and goes 180 on it. That's art I guess.

It's something I considered for this piece in particular as lots of edits and cuts and jumps wouldn't suit the idea behind the short. As it's quite a meditative piece that is essentially just dialogue (so I'll need a good script) I figured simple, static shots might work quite well for it.

It's a looooooooooong road from MTV editing to a 2 or 3 or 4 minute static shots. If I were you I'd go for a more classic style (which is what I do) of smooth camera movement and slowER paced controlled editing. You can back away from the precipice of vdeo game commercial editing without turning it into and audience POV of a stage play.

It's a looooooooooong road from MTV editing to a 2 or 3 or 4 minute static shots. If I were you I'd go for a more classic style (which is what I do) of smooth camera movement and slowER paced controlled editing. You can back away from the precipice of vdeo game commercial editing without turning it into and audience POV of a stage play.

Would smooth movement mean, instead of using cuts to move the camera view, the camera moves? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, I've never done cinematography work before.
And is slower paced editing staying on the same shot for longer, but not lingering on it for too long?

I don't know if it would help, but for inspiration, check out Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope"-its done in 10 min takes, and there aren't "cuts", rather the camera "pans" from one location to another, most of it takes place in a small apartment.

I think some "static" type shots there you could use for inspiration.

Would smooth movement mean, instead of using cuts to move the camera view, the camera moves? Forgive me if that's a stupid question, I've never done cinematography work before.
And is slower paced editing staying on the same shot for longer, but not lingering on it for too long?

Yeah, follows, dolly shots, etc... so the camera moves, but it's not handheld.

Also yeah, a happy median between frenetic ADHD video game editing, and super long static camera.

I don't know if it would help, but for inspiration, check out Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope"-its done in 10 min takes, and there aren't "cuts", rather the camera "pans" from one location to another, most of it takes place in a small apartment.

I think some "static" type shots there you could use for inspiration.

I love Rope. That's a good point of inspiration actually and I'd totally forgotten about it. Thanks :)

Back