• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Making my film look more professional

I have just finished writing a zombie script and was wondering if I could get a few tips on making my film look abit more professional. The camera I am using is a Canon Hf20 ( I know its not a fantastic camera) I was just wondering if you guys or girls could give me some lighting tips or maybe even some shooting or editing tips? I could use the help

Well hell, I can chime in.

What kind of lights are you using? What color temperature? Do you have softlights? Can you bounce a strong light off a white board or, one of my favorites, one covered with a silver reflective surface (Reflectix, insulation).

Harsh yellow household lights in people's faces is not going to look "professional."

Really learn and read about all the types of lights and why mixing color temperatures (daylight is a whole volume) is not a good idea.

Getting the light where you want it is sometimes tough. You need stands, reflectors, sometimes numerous sources. Sometimes a strong source.

And I haven't even ranted and raved about the bad screenwriting out there!

Let's start again.

Do you have something on paper that is worth anyone's time and effort?

It's much easier rewriting crap than getting people to perform it.

Good luck.

Only SLIGHTLY disagree. Time/resources is a very important factor to consider in a shooting schedule. It's inefficient to do the same setup you already had in place yesterday. However, the actors are another factor. Bouncing them around all the emotional spectrum can be very difficult and damage their performance. A really good shooting schedule balances everything.

And I wonder why I get hesitant to have casts for my films ;):lol:

Mind you, if your actors are getting PAID (at good wages), they should learn to roll a little with the punches-but many of us have to rely on....negotiated settlements with actors (Tell ya what, shoot this scene and I'll buy you a burger ;))

I agree though, having a shooting schedule helps out quite a bit, just organization in general. I remember one time in Drama class (WAYYYY back when), this one student was organizing part of a parents night performance-part of an episode of the Honeymooners (copyright? What's that? ;)). Anyway, he had his cast, but then started changing rehearsal times, characters, ect. Finally people left, and my teacher told him "when you direct anything, you have to stay to your schedule. They aren't getting paid and when you start messing around, you get them frustrated" He didn't end up doing the skit.

Moral of the story-don't tick off your cast unless you want to do a solo ;))

And I wonder why I get hesitant to have casts for my films ;):lol:

Moral of the story-don't tick off your cast unless you want to do a solo ;))

Indeed, make plans and schedules.
Nobody likes uncertain schedules.

Storyboard your scenes: this will help you visualise the movie, but will also help communicating your ideas (and it will save time during shooting). Don't forget to note the important things: at the end of the day you will probably forget the things you didn't write down because you thought you would not forget it.

Do you have experience with shooting a film?
If not: write a short simple scene, based on dialogue and on 1 or max 2 locations (maximum 1 day) to practise filming it and get some experience. Don't forget to make a timetable for the shoot and note the times during the actual shooting: this will give you a better view on the time it takes to do something.
Try to work with the crew you want to make the zombiefilm with: this way you get to know each other and you can learn from mistakes.
Don't forget to edit it: this might give some insight on what could have been shot differently.

Practise the carscene (the lighting)!
This way you can set it up easily and save your cast and crew frustration.

Test shooting at night: does it give you the look you want?
Do you see what you want to see?
Or do you want dark blue skies? In that case: rehearse before sunset, shoot during dusk right after sunset. You will only have a short period to get your shots (also depending on the season and your location)
It's what I did for a few shots in this 'short': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUQC9-PH_KA

Make sure you know what to do, before your whole crew & cast are waiting.

Good luck!

And don't forget to show the result of your efforts :)

Back