Making documentaries without archive footage

I thought about making a documentary about the events of the 1960's, mainly comprised of footage and sounds from that period. I did not want it to be something ordinary, with a bunch of interviews and narration in order to put it in context. I wanted it to be sort of a "tone poem" or something where the images speak for themselves. However, since a lot of the material was not in the public domain, I abandoned the project, and the whole thing has led me to just not make any documentaries of any kind using archival footage, even if it is in the public domain, because there are just too many legal questions surrounding it. I've moved on to another project, but I'm really starting to lean towards making projects on things that are happening now, but not using archival footage, because it is either too expensive, or because if there are any notable people involved, even if it is public domain. Is this a good idea, for me to just film my own stuff and not use third-party materials? I'm just wondering. Thanks.

Of course. There are no rules you must follow with the concept of your doc. You just have have to make it entertaining or compelling enough for viewers to WANT to see it and sit through the whole thing.

Good luck.

Thanks, Guerrilla. I try as best as I can to make it compelling, even if the subject is something mundane. I would like to make more documentaries like the one I made about my guitar teacher, which I posted here. I know from taking some video production classes at college that it also helps to make it visually interesting, i.e. not focusing entirely on the subject on camera and using B-roll to keep it moving, to give a sense of what the person does, just as a means of keeping it moving. I am going to be taking more film courses at another college in Louisiana, and the degree that they have is meant to guide people into entering the entertainment industry overall, whether it's film, or video game design or sound. I hope to learn more about filmmaking there, and I know that I'll meet some other creative people like myself there too.

Back