making doc on bees

I was asked to help to film a short documentary about bees today in 6hrs.
Using t2i, with 18-55mm 3.5f, 28mm 2.4 lenses and 50mm 1.4

Has anybody did a similar type of the shoot with a bunch of fast moving angry insects? Any advice and suggestions on getting good looking shots for such miniature scale "actors"?

I also want to record a sound from the inside of their nest, but concerned about the bees ruining my t2i or my mic..

UPDATE:

Here is the video!
Music is still being mixed, so there is some work that is left to be completed. But the video is pretty much completed! Plus we have to add some narrative and some interview type of the shots during in place of black screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVJtggZuDw

Last edited:
You have some really good National Geographic quality shots in there.

Oh my...
thanks man!

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Another shot that I got was a queen bee and her "servants" in the perfect circle.. Got dancing bees as well, and mites on bee's backs.
We got a lot of interesting footage. Very excited to start editing today after work!

After we ll be done with narration, I wonder if I can send something like this to film festivals under documentaries..

the show is over, folks!
i will upload complete video on vimeo by the end of next week.

so far it looks and sound so so so good!

thank you for all of your inputs!

Last edited:
Here is the video!

Music is still being mixed, so there is some work that is left to be completed. But the video is pretty much completed! Plus we have to add some narrative and some interview type of the shots during in place of black screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUVJtggZuDw

Absolutely beautiful.
Congratulations.

I see (or think I see) that you punched up the colors some from your collected images, is that correct?
Also, I can see that I need to work on holding my images for at least four seconds on any given shot.

Very cool.
I look forward to the final product!

This is pretty awesome, dlevanchuck! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I can see that I need to work on holding my images for at least four seconds on any given shot.

A lot longer than that. For documentary work, I'd say 30-seconds is a good minimum, per shot. Depending on what you're shooting, maybe even a minute.

A lot longer than that. For documentary work, I'd say 30-seconds is a good minimum, per shot. Depending on what you're shooting, maybe even a minute.
D@mnation!
How come so many of you don't have AADD!

Thirty seconds?!!!

Maybe even a minute?!?!?!

Goooooood
Looooorrrrd!

C'mon, man!
Speed it up a bit, grandpa!
Chop-chop!
Not "Chop.
Chop".

:lol:

Yeah.
You're right. ;)

(S.F.D.)

Thanks guys! Originally, guy who wrote the music wanted to have a video of bees playing over his music, but as we met the bee keeper guy, he suggested to do a short documentary.

I personally like it the way it is right now and this the commentary might be a bit distracting, but i dont run this project.. Just a videographer and editor :)

Back