Making A Serial Killer Movie or Slasher interesting?

I'm thinking at some point I'll either do a film about a real life serial killer (I haven't decided who yet, it may be Son of Sam, The Zodiac or Ed Gein) or slasher, one that pays its homages, but not in a parodic way like 'Scream'.
I'm just wondering how people would make them interesting and set them apart from films like that that tend to be very samey and bland.

I think there's been a big budget movie done about most of the famouts serial killers already, if you're going to do a feature about a real life one you instantly have the giant competition.

Personally, I'd go for a fictional character and make it something really interesting, hasn't been done before, unique, etc.... What that is, I'm not sure haha. It's not my genre :)

Yeah, it's not my genre either, and quite frankly, I don't understand why so many low-budget indie films go in this direction.

As for answering your question, I think one thing that throws me off with these low-budget indies is poor special effects. It just takes me out of the moment when I see fake-looking blood and guts (though, I do understand that usually campiness is the desired effect). Anyway, the point I make is that should you choose this subject-matter, unless you happen to be networked with professional make-up and SFX artists, I would keep all my kills off-screen, or obscured in some way, and use audio, shadows, creative ways to let us use our imagination.

A strong script is going to be crucial. A by-the-numbers screenplay works for the Hollywood slasher films, but those are all about cheesey, schlocky ways to butcher big-tittied teenagers, and I don't think that works on a low-budget level. I think you need a really intriguing story, above all else.

The only ones that are like biopicy types for serial killers I can think of are
Ed Gein
Dahmer
Bundy
Zodiac
Albert Fish

There was a video release for Son of Sam but it was slammed critically and is supposed to be awful hahaha.

I'd quite like to do a fictional serial killer (like in 'Se7en', which I adore :D ) but wouldn't know what modus operandi to use.

With the slasher, the thing that bugs me is they're all the same thing, like, teenagers, killer with knife, sex, killings and stuff, which doesn't appeal to me, the only slashers I like are Halloween (because it's well made and I love John Carpenter) and Nightmare on Elm Street (because I think Wes Craven is an intelligent director and it uses a clever supernatural edge). So I guess with the slasher I'd need a unique way to do it, a more interesting slant on the plot etc.
Except I've no idea how to do it. D:

"American Psycho" is a good one. For me, the one that truly takes the cake is "Silence of the Lambs".

Semiazas, what I'm wondering is how you plan to film this thing. And are you thinking feature, or short?

Judging by what you've said over here and in your other thread about humour, i think you might be having a hard time in breaking a film down to its separate parts. You seem to know what you like and what works and what does not but you dont know why. Im not saying breaka film down and then copy it, use your own style in the end but seeing why a bunch of different films work can help you a lot.

For example, Se7en and Nightmare on Elm Street are different kind of films but perhaps if you broke both down, you may notice both have tight pacing.

Anyway, to get started in breaking a film down, i would do things like:

- Read the script instead of watching the movie.
- Watch the movie with the sound off.
- Pause frames and analyze the mise en scene.
- Pay attention to the pacing and how long different scenes take...

(i just finished watching dexter,lol)
Whether its fictional or biographical i think it all depends on how u want to tell it, i'm not a big fan of horror but am super interested in the psychology of serial killers. What about the life of a serial killer before his first murder or that ends with the first murder (i'm just brainstorming here).

I think you gotta just watch tons and tons of movies. When I write a scene, I can visualize it in my head. I "see" the scene happening, the way it's paced, the way I want it to move, etc.

I remember, the first significant short I made (5 minutes) was for an intermediate filmmaking class. After watching it with the class, the teacher pointed out that the scene started with longer shots, that gradually sped up, building to really rapidly-paced shots (and cuts) towards the end. He mentioned that this is a common practice, to speed up pacing, as a film progresses.

I was like, uhhhh, yeah, I totally meant to do that. But of course, it was not intentional at all; I never calculated anything like that. That's just how I saw it in my head, so that's what I put on paper. I didn't get this by searching for some kind of magical formula. I think I just got it by watching tons and tons of movies, and being able to envision a scene that I thought would be cool (mimicking the movies that I've enjoyed).

So, my point is, get to watching. Watch every stinking movie in this genre. The ones you like -- watch them again. And when you get to writing, don't try to use some kind of formula, like it's gotta have this, or it's gotta have that. Just imagine a scene in your head, something that you think would be cool to watch, then put it on paper.

For a story, why don't you start with a lesser known serial killer. That way you can retell that story but you are also free to take some creative liberties and make the story your own. Then no one can call you out about not being historically faithful. Just a thought

"American Psycho" is a good one. For me, the one that truly takes the cake is "Silence of the Lambs".

Gotta agree with Silence of the Lambs, it's one of my favourite films.

I think for someone wanting to do a serial killer movie on an indie budget that it's a good movie to watch (from a filmmakers POV) because there's no onscreen violence (except one quick beating with a baton) and yet you've got two chilling serial killers and something genuinely scary. In many ways a film like that takes the special effects problems of indie movies out of the equation.

Dexter is by far my favorite show on TV right now. I really look forward to sitting down with him every week. I enjoy watching him evolve and adapt.

And you've mentioned two of my favorites films in the genre. So we definitely have similar tastes. Although not sure how you feel about Rob Zombie's reinterpretation. I enjoyed that, too (the first more than the second, though). I liked the extra dimension it brought to Michael. The franchise needed that extra lift because Halloween H20 sucked big time, IMO.

I prefer the horror films that get more into the killer's head, bring you into his world. The gratuitous hack and slash got really old after the original Halloween. I grew up with all that. It got to the point where I'd roll my eyes every time they'd announce that Jason or Freddy rose from the dead yet again. And then Freddy versus Jason? It was getting ridiculous. I guess that's why I had special appreciation for Scream. The writers of that movie had my thoughts pegged perfectly in the video store scene. My jaw was floored. Bravo. I'm eager to see Scream 4. Never thought I'd say that about a slasher sequel.

Se7en was also enjoyable.

So, what to do. Just make it believable. The supernatural connection is done to death. Give the audience something that will keep them awake at night, wondering if they're next, because the guy or girl you've brought onto the screen could just as easily be their next door neighbor. Or your child's baseball coach. Or your pastor. Something they'd never see coming.

Did you see 8mm?

Unless you happen to be networked with professional make-up and SFX artists, I would keep all my kills off-screen, or obscured in some way, and use audio, shadows, creative ways to let us use our imagination.

Have to agree with this, particularly the part in bold. Implied violence can be more effective than actually seeing it happen. IMO it's more creepy/eerie and leaves more to the imagination VS actually seeing it happen which is more of a gross out/turn off for me.

A good example of this is in Children of the Corn.

I've become a little bored with serial killer films because there's really nothing new there... I dunno, what if you had a serial killer where some other guy keeps taking credit for his kills, stealing the spotlight, etc...?

Semiazas, what I'm wondering is how you plan to film this thing. And are you thinking feature, or short?

I haven't decided yet. I imagine it may work better as a feature as it gives more time (especially if it's semi biographical) but I guess a short could work. Like I said, I'm unsure.

For a story, why don't you start with a lesser known serial killer. That way you can retell that story but you are also free to take some creative liberties and make the story your own. Then no one can call you out about not being historically faithful. Just a thought

I don't know any haha. Any you would reccomend? Preferably steer clear from child molesting serial killers, there is a line in the sand :P

Gotta agree with Silence of the Lambs, it's one of my favourite films.

I think for someone wanting to do a serial killer movie on an indie budget that it's a good movie to watch (from a filmmakers POV) because there's no onscreen violence (except one quick beating with a baton) and yet you've got two chilling serial killers and something genuinely scary. In many ways a film like that takes the special effects problems of indie movies out of the equation.

I agree about Silence of the Lambs and, although it's creepy, I'm not sure what makes it creepy. How would you reccomend analyzing the creepy/scary bits?

Did you see 8mm?

That movie was such a disappointment! The original screenplay was good, but the movie itself was anemic. I blame Joel Schumacher. The guy is definitely hit and miss as a director (mostly miss, unfortunately).

Drives me crazy when a hack director makes a crappy movie out of a decent script (see also Enemy of the State and Soldier).

Check out Behind The Mask for a different take on the slasher type of film. It mixes a documentary with a slasher and does it well. Could give some inspiration.

I don't know any haha. Any you would reccomend? Preferably steer clear from child molesting serial killers, there is a line in the sand :P

if you want to make a successful killer movie, there can be no lines in the sand. your job should be to find the lines and step all over them. Everyone already knows this genre has been over worked, so its time to RE work it. Try to find aspects of the serial killer life you haven't seen yet.

It would be cool to base it off of a lesser known killer, but in this case, i wouldnt make it a full on bio-pic. Look for newspaper articles about murders and use that for inspiration to form a story. In a newspaper article it will probably be just the hard facts (or it should be) and not so much emotional drama. So you find the hard facts, and insert your own drama.

After i read the book 'American Psycho' (which is one of my favorite books, my favorite author, and near the top of my favorite movies) i was set on making my own killer story, but i knew that easton ellis had already beat me to making the greatest portrait of a killer, so i had to find something knew. my idea was to have a character to wanted to be a killer, but lacked the most crucial element- lack of sympathy. It was going to be about a normal joe who is bored with his life, tired of being nobody, and picked a less than honorable path to persue. it's all about making a name for himself, good or bad.

hopefully you don't like that idea because now that i think back on it, it's one i really like haha. but whatever.

my point being, if you really want to make a killer movie, then make it. but bring something new to the table, take a different angle. This is a very psychological subject matter, so researching psychology of killers could be a good start.

actually that's my advice to anyone writing a movie, learn about people before you make a film about people!

ps: i wouldn't worry about whether its going to be a short or a feature, find the story you want to share first, then decide if it can be told through 1, 2, 3 acts or a short. for me personally, if i decide to write a short, its hard to come up with a short story, and if i decide to make a feature, i end up with 1 great scene that could stand alone. don't restrict your creativity so early on in the process

let if flow, bro :)

Last edited:
Back