• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Magic Lantern

I use a Canon 600D/t3i and everyone is always telling me to get the magic lantern hack. If what people have said is true, it sounds very useful.

However most people either suggest or strongly point out that it is risky. Anyone got some examples where it failed? Also if it does fail, can I just re instal the actual Canon software or is my camera screwed? That's probably my biggest question, coz I'm cool to experiment if I can go back to the original settings.

Is the layout much different? Does it take a bit to adapt between them or is it basically the same just with a few more features? Some of these features I seriously don't get why Canon haven't just added in anyway..anyone know why not?

EDIT: two reasons why I should get it. It means I don't have to use external things like this. Anyone have thoughts on that's particular one?
Second reason I currently know of is to dial in the kelvin temperature

I've had the software sitting on my computer for over a month, can someone please convince me to install it?

Last edited:
:scared:
ML does make ONE change to your cameras firmware.. you do have to flash your cameras firmware for it to work. So yes, its can POTENTIALLY brick your camera.

The one change to on camera firmware is to enable booting from the card.

I did it on my T2i, no problem. Be sure to use Canon brand battery FULLY charged. Running from an AC adapter runs the risk of losing power during the operation which would NOT be good.

:scared: i used two chinese batteries in a chinese battery grip!! thankfully its all good phew lol

All the flashing the camera does when installing ML is add a boot bit to the card. With a normal firmware update, it would then boot off of the card and install the firmware into the camera's memory, but ML just uses the Firmware update's first step of making the card bootable.

Back