Low Budget making Theaterical Debut - Paranormal Activity

Great news....i made an accidental visited the site too of this film few days back and it had wierd stories that the film is backed up by Speal berg .thing like that. Wanted to know all that mentioned on site was true? the link to site is

http://www.paranormalmovie.com/

unluckily i cant find that text now but it was there

In 2007 this movie was shown at the Screamfest Film Festival. The
story is Jason Blum saw it at Slamdance in 2008. He has a first
look deal with Paramount and took it to Spielberg.

An excellent script is very helpful. Having a well connected
producer with an excellent track record and first look deals is
even better.

Paramount tried the movie at a series of midnight screenings this
past weekend and the buzz is amazing. Though there is still no
word on a wider theatrical I hear Paramount might push it forward
for the Halloween season.

I saw it at Screamfest two years ago. It’s a really creepy, very
simple, hand-held camera movie. I’m really surprised that this
Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Quarantine, Diary of the Dead style is
still going strong enough to warrant a theatrical release.

Good for him!

I saw it at Screamfest two years ago. It’s a really creepy, very
simple, hand-held camera movie. I’m really surprised that this
Blair Witch, Cloverfield, Quarantine, Diary of the Dead style is
still going strong enough to warrant a theatrical release.

Good for him!

You saw it, so why are you surprised? I'm guessing that you saw the original ending. If there was a knife involved then you saw the original.

The version I saw had the supernatural, in your face, conclusion!! I saw PARANORMAL ACTIVITY, last night! I went to work a 5pm shift, today, and people asked if I got drunk the previous night, because I had puffy eyes. I told them the truth - this movie scared me and the effect was worse, when I got home. I couldn't sleep, until the sun came up!!! When I did go to sleep, I had continuous nightmares of the movie. I had a fan turned on, but in my dreams it was the demon breathing on me.

Of course, in the men's restroom, right after the show let out, some tough guys were talking about how the movie wasn't that scary. Fricken liars! :lol: Either that, or they were too stoned to be affected by it. What is great about this shaky cam movie is that most of the action takes place while the camera is on a tripod. Usually, I don't like this style, but this movie really works!

Do not read reviews and do not watch the trailers, because those spoil the movie! Just go see it. In fact, don't do any more than listen to this.......... This is all you have to know about it. Our Las Vegas audience sounded the same as this Seattle one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/19c9E-Z3ZKE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/19c9E-Z3ZKE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The ending was changed? Now I guess I'll have to see it again.

You saw it, so why are you surprised?
I'm surprised because I thought this first person style was going
out of favor with audiences. I thought it had run it's course. When
I saw it 2 years ago I remember telling my friends that it's too
bad it was shot in that style. It was such a great movie that I
wished it could be seen by more people and I thought that style
would hurt it's chances.

So it surprised me when I saw it getting a theatrical release.

Saw this on Saturday night and definitely have to say for once a movie held to it's hype. It was every bit as creepy as everyone has said.

Saw a midnight showing and the girlfriend and I had to go hang out to a club for two hours after watching it before going home to go to sleep like we originally had planned.

Surprising for me that the film has something really to create horror.:)
im unlucky that cant see the movie in Cinema....and the movie on PC might ruin the quality of the film.:(
i wish i could have got the chance to see it :(

so tell me how you rank the film out of 10 considering 1 the highest rank ???

I watched Zombieland on Friday and that was a great all around fully fleshed out film. Had something for everyone and didn't leave me asking for anything.

So when comparing Paranormal Activity to a film like this it leaves a bit to be desired, but, PA succeeds at one thing and that is scaring you. In a how well does it scare you rank I would give it the top rating you can.

Makes me think...getting friends, family, actors, to pretend to be scared for a 'hidden camera' approach is a great marketing idea. *wink wink* Really makes people want to watch it...reaction videos are all the rage now'adays.

The trailer is cut well, and the suspense is good. It looks pretty entertaining. Congrats on the success.

The ending was changed? Now I guess I'll have to see it again.

I'm surprised because I thought this first person style was going
out of favor with audiences.

Generally speaking, I was hoping that the docu-style was going by the wayside. But, this movie is so powerful, I didn't think you would be surprised at its success, which I attribute to more to the material and how the style actually fit the GHOST HUNTERS approach. As I said, this was easy to watch for a shaky cam movie, because most of it is seen from a tripod. I was into it.

The ending - yes, I believe you saw the first festival screening, before Spielberg's men got involved and suggested more of a shocker ending. Read the LA Times article that wga writer writer linked to. It shows a good chronology, starting with that fest you were at. The article also discusses how Spielberg will not keep the dvd of PARANORMAL at his house, because some weird things started happening!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-paranormal20-2009sep20,0,843011,full.story

so tell me how you rank the film out of 10???

So, if I tell you that this is the scariest movie since THE EXORCIST, you will probably "man up" and come away with "That wasn't any big deal!" It's all about expectations. If you go in not expecting much or not knowing plot details, you will be ravaged. For myself (now, I'm a guy who cries at the end of GHOST, every time. I'm open to the supernatural, so I buy into certain material), the scares were a 10/10! That includes some subtle and no so subtle effects. For camera work, it's a 3/10, but in this case that only makes the effects seem more realistic.

A lot of times, hype will kill viewer expectation, which has already been the case with several viewers. Watch it late at night, with some unsuspecting friends. Invite them for a sleepover....:D Damn, I wish I had the DVD before the rest of the world is clued in on this flick!

Last edited:
I was not impressed with this flick.

Hey for <$15,000, getting national distribution... I'd say it can't be as bad as Blair witch...

They had some good advertising for it, which I think really helped sell it. It's a glimmer of hope for any indie film anyways.

Back