Looking for ideas on how to Promote my first Feature

The following is just my opinion...

I wish you luck on promoting your flick. Maybe next time start early. Try and grab your audience before it's finished. Release little goodies and have people on board and curious from the start.

@TheOpusFuller

Totally agree with what you wrote and when I see good work (in communication terms) I get curious, but I must give you my opinion, hoping you don't mind.

Don't include links in you signature that are not active yet.

I liked your post, so I decided to check whatever you posted in Youtube, I thought may be a teaser. but the link gives the following: We're sorry, the page that you requested cannot be found.

I suggest to come public with any link or redirect only when they are ready.

Looking forward to see what you will do with your project!

Actually, the best time to think about marketing and promotion is when you conceive your script. When a production is a done deal, criticism and advice is too later.

When you start writing your script you should be asking yourself how can this story be marketed? How can it be promoted?
I totally agree, too many film makers wait until the last minute of production to think about distribution/marketing. The minute the script is finished, or being constructed, you need to start thinking about your audience...who they are, and how you can hook their interest. After that plan is set, figure the marketing costs into the entire budget.

@TheOpusFuller

Totally agree with what you wrote and when I see good work (in communication terms) I get curious, but I must give you my opinion, hoping you don't mind.

Don't include links in you signature that are not active yet.

I liked your post, so I decided to check whatever you posted in Youtube, I thought may be a teaser. but the link gives the following: We're sorry, the page that you requested cannot be found.

I suggest to come public with any link or redirect only when they are ready.

Looking forward to see what you will do with your project!

AlessandroN -

Here's the funny thing, It's 6:07pm and I'm just reading this post with your reply. Earlier this morning, I decided to click my links and noticed the youtube page couldn't be found. That was an error on my part. The page is definitely active but I misspelled the URL. I had /mypercyfrazier instead of /mrpercyfrazier.

A good lesson for me and everyone else to take away, make sure all url links in signatures or etc. are spelled correctly because if not you are potentially missing out on traffic and it just comes off as sloppy!

But thank you AlessandroN for the catch and your thoughts!

Share your feature

Have you checked out www.amebia.com ? You can upload full features for free, create a blog to promo and you get a bio to better promote yourself and your works.

Hell it is free online promo!

I built it I should know!

Last edited:
In and around Austin, there are plenty of places to set up a screening (as I'm sure you are aware).

A friend of mine just had great success self-publishing his debut novel.

He researched similar novels, looked up five star reviewers for those novels on site like Amazon and Goodreads, then sent those reviewers an email promising a copy of the book...they could review it if they wanted to, it wasn't a stipulation.

He got a response from less than ten percent of those reviewers, but most of the ones that agreed to read the book ended up posting a positive review and telling their friends about the book.

The response was overwhelming and the sales went higher and higher. Eventually, the book caught the attention of Amazon Encore (Amazon's publishing branch), and they signed my friend to a publishing deal.

Here's the book: MERCURY FALLS

I absolutely love hearing stories where people are rewarded for initiative.

The following is just my opinion...

Promotion is hard. Very very hard.

I think there are two ways to go about successful promotion as an independent filmmaker.

1. Come to a forum like this, and post the Reservoir Dogs trailer. Not literally... but your trailer has to blow us away. Let's face it, there's a lot of competition out there in the independent film community. A lot! If you expect people to want to jump all over it and watch it, you have to make something nothing short of extraordinary. That's how it is...

2. Grab your audience early in the game. Get us emotionally invested early on... I say this all the time. We're creatives, so let's think like creatives!

Let's say that somebody with a film does both these things. But what is the audience that will be reached? Let's say it's ten thousand people. Then what? Aren't these 10 thousand people too dispersed and all over the world. How will these people get to see this feature film? How will they get to pay to see it?

I think your suggestions are wise. But I still don't think it's enough. I don't know what's enough. That's what I'm trying to figure out myself.

How do I challenge any big studio with modest funds? And by modest I mean like 5 to 10k.
best,
aveek

I personally think web sites like the SyFyChannel.com are too busy with too much going on on their web pages to get people interestedd in their programming.

Then again, there are small productions like "The Gene Generation" with a simple interface, great music and graphics that don't get recognized.

Dude, get a banner big enough to cover a billoard in Times Square. On you banner or cloth rather, write the name of your movie and a cool caption to interest pedestrians and a date for the screening. See who shows up. Just don't get caught, I know easier said than done.

Back