looking for computer animators

Hey any computer animators out there? I've got several story ideas, plus video ideas for my music (and other's).

How about computer animation software? Is there something I can use on my pc to produce my own animation shorts, specifically 3D?

If you can help me at all, let me know...

King Goldfish rattled off some cheap(er) 3d software in another thread, that I cannot seem to find. Was in the 300 to 400 range, as opposed to thousands.

If you can live with plain 2d animations, Macromedia Flash is relatively cheap and pretty simple to get the knack of. Very good built-in tutorials, as well. 30-day free trial of all Macromedia goodies found at www.macromedia.com

I am decent at flash, could use more experience, but for something really short i might be able to help, but with college and college parties and my newly adopted ferret, i might not have too much time to fully devote...

I think my favorite story idea can be done with 2D animation, in which case Flash would probably work. Basically, it's a music video (to an undetermined song...), running about five to seven minutes.

To be honest, I don't really care how long it takes to complete the project, I just want to do the story right, and I could use the help.

What are the hardware specs for Flash? Do I need a good video card? I don't mind animating it myself, it'll just take longer. Having said that, rizien, if you're interested in a (maybe) cool project, I could use some help... actually, that goes for anyone who'd like to jump on a project.

Well, I understand the college thing, and I'm in it myself (except that I'm married, so no parties...). More than anything, this is just a back burner idea, but I need other people to give it some life.

I've been messing around with After Effect lately. I'll give your animations a shot.

I've been wanting to get into animation too.

Does Adobe still make "Live Motion"? They were touting it as the "Flash-killer" when they first released it.

Goat, if you'd like to help tackle the video, I'll send you the story synopsis. I have two in mind, actually: one is the music video, and another is more of a feature length film, although for starters we could make a short...

Poke, I'll send you a synopsis as well. Give me a day or so...

i can do computer animation, but it's been almost a year since I really did anything with it. What are you looking for? I use 3d Studio Max. But not sure if my experience is good enough though. I majored in it in college. You can check out my work on my site:

http://www.mylkhead.com

The animation is in the 3d section.

mylkhead. I looked at your stuff. I couldn't get the animation to load (most likely my computer...), but it looked pretty cool.

I know this is probably a long shot, but anyone who is interested in my animation project should check out The Elegant Universe DVD. This is a documentary on super string theory, and the visual design for the show is very similar to my idea. It's a great documentary, but personally I think the animation was under conceptualized.

My idea is for a music video that basically zips through the evolution of the universe starting from the "big bang" and ending at a point on present day Earth. Of course, there are many other details, and I'm breaking it down into a loose story board.

I've talked to Goat about this, and on his advise, I'm using a song of my own composition.

So, if you want to help me, and I could certainly use it, then check out the above DVD and maybe join this discussion with your ideas (or PM me).

If you're looking into animation with flash I'd check out "Toon Boom Studio" It's more of an animation oriented program, that will import and export flash. Seems to be the kind of tool they're using for all the new lame-o cartoons that are coming out. But it looks to have some serious power-tools and such. Worth a look anyway.

Just an Idea, you could create 2d flash animations of each time period, then take those animations into after effects and fly a camera through them. You would be surprised at how 3d , 2d objects feel when you begin using cameras in after effects.

Yes! :yes: Toon Boom would work, but After effects has particle generators and 3d lighting to add to the mix.

Last edited:
If you want to learn animation

Hey sourmonkey, if you want to learn 3D animation, the program with the best bang for the buck is Animation Master (that's the one Steve was thinking of I believe). It costs $299 and it has pretty impressive features for the price.

It's made by Hash Inc. You can check it out >> http://www.hash.com/
There are a lot of resources online to help get you started. Most are free, but you can also purchase DVD's such as this one >> http://www.jefflew.com/ . It was created by Jeff Lew who made The Killer Bean 2 if any of you guys are familiar with it. It's an awesme animation short...Hilarious!

I also have a book for A:M that I no longer need (http://indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=4972). It'll probably go to e-bay unless anyone here wants it.

3d Studio Max is the ultimate 3D program in my opinion. It is used by many animation companies, for game-producers as well as movie-animators.

After having practised a bit in modeling you can try to do a bit of animation.
Once you've practised a bit you should have a great shot for your film, and you knowledge will continue to grow when animating more, plus it will have a great effect in your films.

Gotan

PS: The downside is 3d Studio Max costs abotu 3500 $ I think, so you should try to get one second-hand.

Back