Look of H'wood movie!

I've a doubt for ages.

Indian film industry uses same cameras, lighting setups, or rigs or anything like H'wood movies.

H'wood movies (even the bad ones) have more professional look than Indian movies . Why is that difference always happens?

If you search for a Indian movie clipping in youtube you will know what I meant. Is it because the lighting, or the cinematic process? :huh:

Sorry for my bad English.:grumpy:

The director, cinemtographer, production designer, and editor all work together to achieve a certain look and style. If you are a director meet with candidates until you find the right people to work with.

Well, something that I have just recently learned about is that the major difference between cinematic looks has to do with frame rates. All films shoot in 24p, which records much smoother than, say, 30p which is better-suited for sports.

Another thing to do with it is something you've mentioned; lighting can greatly alter the appearance of film. It's not necessarily an exact science, but it's best to try and understand the differences between all lights and setup of lights, as well as scene composition and subject relation to lights and whatnot. It sounds more difficult than it is!

I've never created a 'cinematic' looking film, but that's partly because I don't have the adequate equipment. However, I am soon going to purchase a high-definition camcorder and better audio equipment. The HD camera I'm looking at comes with a built-in '24p cinema mode', and it's geared for more advanced filming.

Another thing that alters the appearance of the film is what they do to the footage in post-production. They may do things to alter the appearance of the footage, such as adjust the contrast and color saturation levels to make it sharper, or more detailed.

That's honestly all I know on the subject. I'm still studying it myself!

Hope that helps you!

It's summed up in two words; budget and expertise.

The most basic business equation is:

TIME = MONEY

There probably aren't many Bollywood films with budgets over $50 million. With that kind of budget you can spend hours (with dozens of people standing around doing nothing) lighting each shot and can hire the expertise to take advantage of it. The same holds true for the camera/DP, set dressing, props, make-up & hair, sound and every other craft involved with filmmaking, backed up by well over 100 years of tradition and experience.

I would guess that the mantra in Bollywood is similar to what - I believe it was Samuel Goldwyn - used to say in the 30's and 40's;

"I don't want it great, I want it Tuesday!"

It's summed up in two words; budget and expertise.

The most basic business equation is:

TIME = MONEY

There probably aren't many Bollywood films with budgets over $50 million. With that kind of budget you can spend hours (with dozens of people standing around doing nothing) lighting each shot and can hire the expertise to take advantage of it.

"I don't want it great, I want it Tuesday!"

I am sorry but i dont agree with you. Being neighbor of Bollywood i regularly see their movies and have seen many H wood Movies too, either heavy budgeted or indie movies but there is always some thing special about H Movies. Dont know why. And i also dont agree that it is because of the Budget. Because INDIAN movies though arent of over $ 50 million but in their own way there are films with heavy budgets and PROS with huge experience who dont need to experiment on sets. And i believe many of H Wood Cinematographers etc also dont have extra time to come and do experiments of lighting etc. If it is realy the case then must be a shocking news for me that H WOOD experts come and spend there time on thinking how will lighting etc be done. So When there are Pros on both side with experience but still they have failed.

I was watching a show on making a film on some station .... basically they were talking about setting the stage for filming and there are folks for every nuance of making a film. A someone for lighting who does nothing but make sure the room is lit to the mood of that particular scene and how to light around an actor for each movement they make. How these guys have to be artful at creating a mood for each and every single scene.
Same for the entire movie - location of cameras and angles and sound which is biggie...the correct music for each scene that is created for that scene rather than copied.

It looked terribly intense to get it all in sync and then of course having actors that can act and not come across as something overdone and cheesy.

I was watching a show on making a film on some station .... basically they were talking about setting the stage for filming and there are folks for every nuance of making a film. A someone for lighting who does nothing but make sure the room is lit to the mood of that particular scene and how to light around an actor for each movement they make. How these guys have to be artful at creating a mood for each and every single scene.
Same for the entire movie - location of cameras and angles and sound which is biggie...the correct music for each scene that is created for that scene rather than copied.

It looked terribly intense to get it all in sync and then of course having actors that can act and not come across as something overdone and cheesy.

SO in short you want to say that in H Wood movies lightin is set for every single move :)

SO in short you want to say that in H Wood movies lightin is set for every single move :)

In short I want to say that from watching this doco on film making - there are staffs of folks that are employed for every detail of the movie.
As for the lightin, these guys were interviewed whose only job it was - was to situate the lighting for each scene. One fellow worked for tv shows and had been given the details of where the actors would be in each scene and where to place lighting that would effect the room, the actor ect. That was just the lighting part. They were breaking it down inch by inch as to what goes into making something on film and what the end result is. Quite interesting - for big budgets.

All of that doesn't matter to me as long as sound is good...and someone who can control the camera and not make me feel like I am riding space mountain.

Last edited:
That is filmmaking. Every crew member has their own job to do. That is not something special, it's the norm.

Every time someone brings up Bollywood, this is all I can think of. :blush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Pjo0WjBcs

It's awesome. :)

And i believe many of H Wood Cinematographers etc also dont have extra time to come and do experiments of lighting etc. If it is realy the case then must be a shocking news for me that H WOOD experts come and spend there time on thinking how will lighting etc be done.

If people have to go the extra distance to make sure things are going to look alright, of course they do it.

Last Sunday I spent the day with the DP & director for test shooting; 3 locations and 1200' of 3 different filmstocks. (I'm doing lighting) The director (somewhat inexperienced) wanted to make sure he gets the "look" he's after. We spent 10 hours shooting a variety of stuff, under different conditions. The director now has a month to review all this test footage to determine what he really wants, and to make whatever adjustments he thinks he needs.

When the shoot actually begins, all the pieces are going to be in place... the director will be happy, I'll be happy, and the DP will be happy - 'cos we took a day, in advance, to make sure we could give the director what he wants*.

You gotta give the director what he wants.

*Regardless of whether or not it makes any sense. :weird:

And i believe many of H Wood Cinematographers etc also dont have extra time to come and do experiments of lighting etc. If it is realy the case then must be a shocking news for me that H WOOD experts come and spend there time on thinking how will lighting etc be done.

Watch the BTS on the 3-disc "Panic Room" DVD. They show the detail of the testing they do in preproduction on a HW movie. It's absolutely amazing how much they do and how much time they can AFFORD to shoot test footage.

Back