Lone Ranger thread.

Initial reports say the Disney movie is going to be a bust, but I'm going to take a look anyway. I have no doubt that, with Johnny Depp as Tonto, the sidekick will take over the movie, which would not be what the story is about, and, if so, it should fail.

That said, reading up on the masked cowboy reminded me of the theme song from "The Lone Ranger and the Lost City of Gold", which has a far, far better song and origin telling than the William Tell Overture. And watching that trailer again has inspired me to want to make movies. Funny how even bad movies can, in a roundabout way, inspire you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vavK9JFQfVw

Last edited:
Box Office Mojo puts the first week's gross at only $48 million domestically, just short of the $50 million which would also have been a disappointment. And the foreign take is even smaller, at $24 million plus, when it should be bigger.

It's not looking good.

I can't say the trailers exactly inspired confidence in me. I'll still see it, when it hits the dollar-theater.

Meanwhile, three people I know have seen it - each one told me that if I liked Pirates of the Caribbean, I'd like this. Which is kinda weird coming verbatim from three different people who don't know each other. Maybe that was a last-minute advertising pitch they picked up on? I dunno.

I don't think I'll watch it now. Its problem may be that it followed the Pirates' formula too closely, so there was nothing new. The other thing also is that putting Tonto in the lead wasn't true to the legend of the Lone Ranger, so, again, there was no reason for fans to go to this reboot.

I wonder if Disney will give me a chance. I couldn't do any worse. :D

From what I've heard, it's still worth seeing. Apparently the first half is really extremely good, but it suffers from a flashback format (which keeps upsetting the rhythm) and curious choices of music especially near the end.

I want to see Armie Hammer anyway. But I'll wait until the hype has died down a bit.

CraigL

Its problem may be that it followed the Pirates' formula too closely, so there was nothing new.

"Painfully Elaborate Set Pieces Get Destroyed While Johnny Depp Does His Absolutely Awful Attempt At A Modern Day Buster Keaton Impression - But This Time He Is In Redface So It Is Different!"

Yeah, no thanks.

I'm surprised anyone went at all. :no:

I was disappointed with it. Thought the Lone Ranger himself wasn't heroic enough. Felt like they were worried Tonto would be too much like Captian Jack, and they toned down Deps performance. Thought the story was drawn out too long. Although I loved Dep as Tonto, thought he did alright with what he had to work with.

Im a special effects junkie (an area I'd love to work in), and from that standpoint, thought it was great. Except for the computerized Lone Ranger, riding Silver jumping on the train.

Last edited:
From the perspective of the pace of the Native American story tellers I've been exposed to, the movie's length makes much more sense
as it's being told from the perspective of an older tonto
. That said, it'd have been a much more solidly told story about half an hour shorter. Wasn't bad, just didn't do enough of the good things to make it great. Johnny Depp was fantastic.

I saw it with my dad (70 years old, grew up with the original tv and radio shows). He LOVED it!

Overall, I thought it was pretty meh. I will say this though -- Gore Verbinski sure knows how to orchestrate a fun, over-the-top action sequence. For me, the first and last twenty minutes of the movie are a blast. The middle of the movie just drags on and on.

Also, the "curious" musical choice CraigL mentions was my favorite part of the movie. I loved that part!

Depp's performance was mostly good, but he made strange choices. In dialog, he sometimes spoke the kinda-offensive stereotypically broken English that the old Tonto spoke, and then in the next moment he's speaking perfect English. I would've liked it if he had chosen to just completely abandon the Tonto of old.

On a side-note, my cousin knows Armie Hammer, used to work for him. Haha, I can't help but try to figure out what I can send his way that might lure him to want to work with me. Oh, and his Lone Ranger is very likeable, more vulnerable than what we're accustomed to.

Looking foward to checking this out. My drumming arms and super defocused body feature in it around about the
tonto/lone ranger cart on the tracks scene with dudes getting shot in the bg
. Looks better than the pirates stuff from what ive seen but im not getting my hopes up.

My son and I saw it yesterday. IMHO Depp stole the show with Hammer playing his straight man for the most part. The special effects were pretty good but somewhat unbelievable especially the train scenes toward the end. I did like that they used the old link and pin couplers on the RR cars which is period correct. I'd give the movie a 7 out of 10.

Might find this article worth a read, an interview with the cinematographer:

http://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/Behind-the-Lens-Bojan-Bazelli_Ranger/1

Pretty sure this is a typo: We tested Kodak 5203, a daylight balanced tungsten :hmm:

This was pretty cool, re advance scouting & planning:

We organized that with GPS to determine where the sun would be six months from then and recorded those camera angles in the GPS system so when we came back months later, we knew exactly where the cameras would go and what the shot would give us.

Hi-ho Silver, etc :)

:lol:

That's a hilarious exchange of executives!

But in this case, I wonder...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHkB6ztckE&feature=youtu.be

Back