• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

[] LIGHTS WITH NO LINE BANDING

do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations for cheap studio lights(soft light & hard light) that don't produce line banding @ high shutter speeds?! I heard there cheap soft boxes $100-$150 but they produce banding @ 60 shutter speed!? List your lighting set up !!

1/60 is not considered a high shutter speed. Indeed, in the US, where domestic power runs at 60Hz, it is often used instead of 1/48 when shooting at 24fps. Some very cheap fluorescents may produce flicker at 1/60, but as a general rule any mains powered light will be fine at 1/60. If you explain more about what you need, I'm sure someone can help you - are you looking to shoot with shutter speeds faster than 1/60? What's your budget? Do the lights need to be daylight balanced?

Do you have any sample shots that can show us the problem you're talking about... When I read banding, I thought you were talking about a compression problem rather than "flickering" or "strobing". What are the specifics of the problem you're trying to avoid? Is it possibly a problem with a specific camera perhaps that doesn't capture the whole chip at once?

Back