• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lights Of The Sky - 1.5 page short story

Nice. It's an interesting start.

Without knowing where you're going with it, though, and that could make all the difference, on the face of things neither his not telling his parents about such far out phenomena nor his plopping into bed to try to get some sleep seemed to follow.

Thanks richy.

I've got a lot more to this story such as a back story for Lyle as well as what happens after he goes home. i was thinking of turning this into a short and maybe in the future, a feature. this could turn into a 20 plus page script.

Any other responses from others?

Reads like a short story and I really didn't get the visuals while reading it. Could be interesting where it goes.

You mean the actual lights protruding from the trees or were you not able to visualize the story from my writing?

I myself haven't figured out what the lights would represent, let alone what's behind the trees. the story came from a nightmare I had, nothing makes sense. Thats where the creativity comes in.

Thanks for taking the time to read it arrodiii

Interesting...

I originally read it as a short story and found it strange, then realized it was a treatment. Then I got it. Could make for a nice little short.

Thanks for reading it!

Yeah I guess it's a treatment. I've been working on it everyday since I posted it here and have a lot more to add. I'm thinking this could be a short film, and maybe in the future, a feature film :)

You mean the actual lights protruding from the trees or were you not able to visualize the story from my writing?

I myself haven't figured out what the lights would represent, let alone what's behind the trees. the story came from a nightmare I had, nothing makes sense. Thats where the creativity comes in.

Thanks for taking the time to read it arrodiii

Kind of both. I mean for instance, you write:

"Nervous, he stands frozen in the middle of the haunting street and briefly looks around, then up, to catch a glimpse of an ambiguous, colorful, light in the sky. The lights spiral around each other, pulsating."

I understand from reading that the lights are clorful, but what color(s)? I mean are they bright and neon to be in contrast from the haunting street? Or are they some eerily drab colors meant to ambiguously blend in with the sky and not call attention? Or are they meant to intimidate someone? And pulsating, I am thinking something like a strobe-light effect?

I hope this comes out correctly. It's a visual medium and for some reason when reading a script (the very few that I have and do) I want to be told exactly what it is that I am supposed to be visualizing so I can understand the author's vision.

Just me .02.

I completely agree with you. Film is a visual medium, I always tell people that and thanks for reading mine of the very few! I should clarify what I meant by the colors.

The lights were suppose to stand out from the darkness; colorful like the rainbow for instance. Blues, greens, reds, yellows all interchangeable. They are there to call attention and they did. The pulsating is like a strobe light, but not violent flashes, just brighter darker brighter darker.

I should probably have specified that where this boy lives is in the middle of no where which is why no one else stopped to take a look.

In my opinion, the only interesting and music part of this short film would be VFX. It'd be extraordinary experience to watch. I must say, impatiently, I really wait for the actual film, but make sure the atmosphere and the views are special and truly breathtaking! ;)

Yeah, the VFX and Sound FX would have to be top notch. I also believe, though, that the acting would really hold this type of film together. I would have an actor react to something that doesn't even exist, and they would be 14!

Plus I'm no VFX/Sound guy. There are some great ones on this site but I'm not at a point yet to be asking for help on this project, considering I'm still writing the thing.

I do plan on making this a short and then hopefully a feature.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in wanting to see this. In due time, sir!

Back