Lights, Camera, Fame! . . . ?

Hey guys! My favorite threads are the ones a bit more lighthearted and create discussions. So I thought I'd make another.

We're all aspiring filmmakers and most likely at first we thought the fame would be amazing or the pay would be great, but I know some others are a bit more modest. Also a majority of indies want to be directors, getting other wannabe directors and friends to help them make shorts, some others want other positions.

I'm curious about how people first felt about getting into the industry and if being a director is their end goal or not. I know some of you are sound (I KNOW IT), few are colorists, some are producers, some are cinematographers, let us know how you found that position.

------------I'll start as I normally do with these threads----------

I never cared for fame or money when deciding I wanted to make movies, I just wanted to make something that someone else would watch and then feel it was worth their time. That's it. Simple. I'm super pleased after a worthwhile hour and a half, I hope I can give that pleasure to others.

As for being a director... Meh. I enjoy creating, I hate scripting, I hate actors. Honestly I like to be a glorified DP. I'm very technical and use a Talent Director... Judge if you want.

Personally I don't care to make it as a director, I get that same feeling of someone enjoying a film I worked on as a grip. As such I LOVE KEY GRIP! Absolutely my favorite job is to be rigging or organizing a grip team to get sets light as quick and safely as possible. I could do grip work on big budget for the rest of my life and be happy.

Post production... I hate audio mixing, I hate editing... but I love coloring. I spend a lot of time doing color grading. Not sure what got me into it... maybe the extreme colors in stuff like Matrix or Sin City? Idk.

---- Can't wait to hear from you guys and discuss!

I was given a VHS camera when I was ten and I fell in love with making short movies. I did a lot of stop motion and toys with wires and other in-camera tricks. In high school, I knew that I wanted to work in the industry, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. Initially, I wanted to pursue VFX, but then I realized that I don't like changing my vision because someone else has more control than me, so I looked into pursuing directing.

After I graduated, I ran my own video business for a few years and continued to make a bunch of DV shorts. I decided I no longer wanted to be a part of the Hollywood system, I felt it would limit me. I make movies because and I enjoy telling stories and I enjoy the process that I've created to do it. I love writing, I love directing, I enjoy running camera, I love stunts. I really love editing and VFX, even mixing. The only thing I don't really like is lighting and composing music. So now I get to make movies on my terms, my way. I know that I will never achieve fame or success, but I am able to make a living making feature films, short films, and a survival show on youtube :) Making a living doing what I love is being successful to me.

Last edited:
I want to make something beautiful before I die.
I am writing, directing and starring in a short.. if I'm lucky maybe one day I'll get to make a feature.

Back