Lighting Tutorials?

@Knightly
As others have said, your competition is stiff. Here is what I'd buy in a heartbeat:

"Lighting for Story"
- Use or write a simple, short script with beginning, middle and end, AND an identifiable theme. Couple of actors at most.
- Use or develop a shot list or storyboards for the same script (prob. not necessary).
- Start your tutorial by lighting the first shot. Explain "why" you chose to light the location the way you did. Now, you decided to keep a character's eyes in shadow. Why? Film noir lighting? Why? Etc., etc.
- Change your "director's" intent/vision and light the same shot a different way, explain why. Does it work better? Why or why not?
- Now you can discuss the technical lighting details, but within context of the story and your D.P.'s vision.

Not sure I explained it very well, but I've found this sort of tutorial rare or non-existent (if I'm wrong, somebody let me know!). Partially because it gets into the *art* of lighting, which is tough to teach.

Anyway, just an idea. Best of luck!

This is the way I'd do it - either following a film that I already have in pre, or a 'made-up' film. This, however, is what I also think Alex Buono does relatively well, in terms of taking you through most of the process, and also showing you how to re-create things even on the smallest of budgets.

having the information available and having it accessible are not always the same thing.
That's an excellent point, and there are countless books, open source software development books come to mind, that clearly illustrate how accessibility of information otherwise freely available through disparate sources has value when gathered together and communicated clearly in one go-to location.

This is the way I'd do it - either following a film that I already have in pre, or a 'made-up' film. This, however, is what I also think Alex Buono does relatively well, in terms of taking you through most of the process, and also showing you how to re-create things even on the smallest of budgets.

I'll check out Alex B., Jax, thanks for the reference.

kj

The how to light a set for story and believability is absolutely something I'd like to address with this. Again, I've found those tutorials… they're few and far between and tucked away as little tidbits in commentary tracks and on obscure DVD BTS. My goal is really to make the info easier to find. The overlap I'd have with other tutorials is only to make all of the information live in one place in a Concept to Color Grade resource that covers bottom up techniques and differing budgetary solutions.

- On set tips and tricks for making real world setups work for you to give the director and the DP what they're looking for more quickly; specific examples from my portfolio of scenes and script breakdowns (the one we currently have in post, I spent a couple of hours on the phone ranking each scene from 1-10 for amount of shadow / contrast ratio lighting list for when we got to set. Putting my fill dimmer at the preset numbers 1-10, got us the correct mood for that moment in the script.

Sounds good, knightly. Keep us up to date!

Perhaps you could get one of the lighting companies that market to indies to cover the production costs and associated expenses. That way, you could offer your resources for free and use Google ads on the website to generate some revenue.

Perhaps you could get one of the lighting companies that market to indies to cover the production costs and associated expenses. That way, you could offer your resources for free and use Google ads on the website to generate some revenue.

Are you psychic? I was just thinking that ;) At least seeking sponsorships to try to offset costs.

You can pitch your method of showing DIY/hardware store lighting to light manufacturers/dealers by telling them that, as you demo the cheap setup, you also refer to the better/professional setups. "When you're just starting out you need to stretch every dollar and make every penny count so you use equipment that is less than ideal. When you are ready to move up in the world, (insert sponsor's product here) is the way to go." Along with copious banner ads and branded apparel, those seeking cheap tech will likely buy (sponsor's brand) when they choose to buy better gear.

I would not pay for any course or tutorial because I know that within a week, even the most unique advice you could give would be repeated by somebody telling it for free.

Sorry but that's the internet in a nutshell. People borrow information and disperse it for free just to be the one saying it.

I would not pay for any course or tutorial because I know that within a week, even the most unique advice you could give would be repeated by somebody telling it for free.

Sorry but that's the internet in a nutshell. People borrow information and disperse it for free just to be the one saying it.

the internet is not all it's cracked up to be for specialized knowledge
Have you been to college for a scientific degree?

there's so much stuff I've learned in those text books that is not available on the internet.
There is something to be said about having a thorough base of knowledge all packaged in a way that people can absorb and learn from it.

Having said that.. I wouldn't be able to pay for this stuff, what little money I have would go towards the lights themselves and practice. Just the way things are for me in my life right now, I have time but not money.

Lost about 40k on my condo recently.. Never buy a condo.. ugh it's the worst.

Last edited:
Well, some of it might be now given that MIT has made most of their curriculum available online for free. :P

Ah yes, I remember hearing about that. Is all material online or do you still have to buy text books though ??

I would assume text books are still a necessary purchase, even if tuition is no longer necessary

The vast majority of what I'd be offering is free and out there right now… the problem I had is that I had to spend hours scouring to try to find it all… I know, I've done it. My goal would be to offer it all in one place (the knowledge and techniques, not the other content).

I'd've loved to have had access to a single resource for this info (much like the Hollywood Camera Work DVDs for blocking, scene breakdown and camera movement). This is why I'm thinking of doing this. Yes, you can google most of it (along with scouring BTS and commentary tracks from hundreds / thousands of DVDs and Blurays)… but shouldn't have to.

I know the internet, I was part of the first wave to try to figure out how to make money using it. I love the concept of "Information wants to be free" -- I'm actually a huge proponent. I've actually given out most all of the information I'd be putting on the videos here on IT already… feel free to search for them. The paid resource would simply be to get it all in an easily accessible format - which doesn't currently exist for me. There's a lot of beginner sets, and a couple of intermediate sets, but nothing that covers the gamut from noob to expert.

There seems to be an assumption that the knowledge has a velocity to it and after a certain point, you should just "get it." I'd like to make those techniques accessible and understandable to folks just getting into that intermediate phase by laying the groundwork for it in the beginner parts… and having those beginner parts allow for immediate gains in production quality for the folks watching them.

Fair points...I do admit that scouring the internet, sometimes for hours, can be laborious and there is as much bad info out there that there is good info so having it all in one spot would be handy...but I personally would still not pay. Not saying that your advice would not be hugely valuable to me and others, no doubt it would, but I personally would not. Others with more money may well be happy to purchase your lighting workshops.

Best of luck

How's this for the seed of a business plan?

Collect and organize all of the information that you wish to present

Build your website (making sure that it has an easy and user friendly SEARCH function)

Load it with tutorials mostly showcasing DIY/hardware store gear

Get Google banner and inline ads (like this site)

Offer a premiere membership that gets rid of the inline ads along with other benefits (like this site). A benefit that might help sell the premiere membership would be direct responses from the lighting equipment reps. Bonus - it gives them one on one contact with future clients.

Approach equipment/gear/tech manufacturers/distributors for sponsorship

Make walk through tutorial films on various aspects of lighting

Offer merch

You won't get rich off of the deal, but you could make a reasonable living while still presenting the info for free.

If you are not good at sales, get someone who is and make them a partner.

Last edited:
How's this for the seed of a business plan?

Collect and organize all of the information that you wish to present

Build your website (making sure that it has an easy and user friendly SEARCH function)

Load it with tutorials mostly showcasing DIY/hardware store gear

Get Google banner and inline ads (like this site)

Offer a premiere membership that gets rid of the inline ads along with other benefits (like this site). A benefit that might help sell the premiere membership would be direct responses from the lighting equipment reps. Bonus - it gives them one on one contact with future clients.

Approach equipment/gear/tech manufacturers/distributors for sponsorship

Make walk through tutorial films on various aspects of lighting

Offer merch

You won't get rich off of the deal, but you could make a reasonable living while still presenting the info for free.

If you are not good at sales, get someone who is and make them a partner.

There are sites ranging from this
http://www.theblackandblue.com/
To
http://www.cinematography.com/
http://www.cinematography.net/

Made by the top end pros for absolutely free with a possibility of donations if you feel like supporting the site

Knightly! I love your idea of creating an easy to follow from newb to pro lighting course. I made an account just to say so.
I think there is a gap in step by step info online, especially lighting.
There definitely has the issue of people taking your content and just remaking it. So I agree with others it has to be free, ad/company supported or something.

If you'll commit to like 3 trial episodes, I have a pretty good handle on after effects and can edit, add a tittle sequence, lower thirds etc! I'll make it for you just to help get a solid way for people to learn more about film.

Knightly! I love your idea of creating an easy to follow from newb to pro lighting course. I made an account just to say so.
I think there is a gap in step by step info online, especially lighting.
There definitely has the issue of people taking your content and just remaking it. So I agree with others it has to be free, ad/company supported or something.

If you'll commit to like 3 trial episodes, I have a pretty good handle on after effects and can edit, add a tittle sequence, lower thirds etc! I'll make it for you just to help get a solid way for people to learn more about film.

Cool, good to hear. We'll have to see when some time opens up for me to start planning and producing them. I know there's a gap because I've been looking for this resource and haven't found what I'm looking for-- and my Google fu is strong. There is no progressive curriculum out there on this topic. There are tons of tutorials, even collections... But no end to end coursework.

Back