• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting from above

I'm shooting something soon in a hospital and was hoping to hang lights from the ceiling, can any of you recommend a way of doing this? I won't be able to drill into the ceiling and can't think of how I'll get my lights up there!
Thanks for any help you can offer

I don't know your level of experience, so apologies if these are obvious...

If the ceiling is white, I would bounce the lights off of it. If it isn't, I would affix foamcore or a bounce card to it. If the light needs to be hard, use a shiny reflector.

If you absolutely must hang a fixture, either use a spreader, a counter-weighted boom, or a crossbar on C-stands.

p.s. - If your fixtures are small and lightweight enough and the ceiling is acoustic tile, you could also use a gaffer grip. But be sure you cover the area above the fixture with aluminum foil or the heat from the lamp may scorch it (learned the hard way).

Last edited:
Polecat :) also known as an auto pole:

opplanet-manfrotto-bogen-single-black-deluxe-autopole-two-extends-82pt7in-145pt7in-432-3-7b.jpg

Jam it between the walls:

autopole1.jpg

Use Super Clamps to hang the lights (you could use Gaffer grips as well):

super-clamp_1.jpg

Depending on what's around, you might be able to use magic arms to hang lights off different things:

magic-arm3.jpg

Most of the hospitals around me have suspended (or dropped) tile ceilings. If that is the case where you plan to shoot, you have a number of options. If the facility will let you remove some of the tiles, any screw grip clamp will get the job done. If not, you can use the hangers that convenience stores use to hang signage and spread the load out over a large area to reduce the risk of your lights falling and to increase the stability factor.

Obviously it depends of the light he's using but it's a very viable option, espcially if the light is soft (I'm thinking Chinaball and I think Ryan used it in Tell for hallway lighting).

I assume you mean something like this:

chinaballdarkknight.jpg

In LOTR, they also used handheld kino 'wands' like this:

Oliver%20with%20Tube!0002.jpg

that kinda floated with the camera.

When there's a lot of movement you might use such lights. More often I arm out a C stand, but I'm not averse to such handheld/boom light techniques.

--
Of course, if there's a drop ceiling, and you've got the rigging (and riggers - grips) to do so, you might look at this kinda thing:

samplethief8lg.jpeg

samplethief6lg.jpeg

samplethief3lg.jpeg

This is a lot more complex than a PoleCat, but sometimes the room is too big for a PoleCat to be of any use.

Last edited:
Back