Learning Filmmaking Through Special Features - List

Hi All,

I thought I'd try and make a list of the films that I'd wished I had known about when I started learning about filmmaking. Most of these are super insightful and have great info on various aspects of filmmaking. Although some of these dvd's special features might be more inspirational than simply a teaching or how to section, but they are still incredibly helpful. I really think a big part of filmmaking is getting your head in the right place. They're many more and I'll definitely be adding to this list as I think of them. Please do the same.

EL Mariachi:

This is the classic example, coupled with Robert Rodriguez' book "Rebel Without a Crew", of how to make a movie basically by yourself. The special features on the dvd(10 minute film school, commentary) give great insight into lighting, editing, shooting without sound and many other great ideas.

Every Other Robert Rodriguez DVD:
This is really broad, and probably seems weird not to list it with El Mariachi but personally I think "El Mariachi" is the best example of the diy approach since on the rest of his films he has a full crew. All of them are still great though. Especially "Full Tilt Boogie" It's a feature length movie about the making of "From Dusk Till Dawn" Other RR dvds with great special features include: Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Sin City

Donnie Darko - Directors Cut:
The coolest feature on this is the commentary wit Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith. It's really interesting to hear how Richard Kelly thought out his script and his film.

Look:
This Adam Rifkins film has a great behind the scenes look into the making of a film made pretty much on surveillance cameras and all the problems that come along with that. Especially when he goes to shoot in a convenience store that now wants $5,000 to shut down for a few hours.

Roger Dodger:

I LOVE this movie. The score, lighting, acting, everything is incredible. If you haven't scene this. Check it out. There is an examination of a scene where they pick apart a scene that was shot in the bar. As well as commentary with the Director Dylan Kidd and the Director of Photography.

Broken:
This was one of the big DVX100 films that everybody talked about a few years back. I think it still looks great and is an incredible primer to all things filmmaking. Alex Ferrari really went all out to fill this dvd with special features on every aspect of the filmmaking process. I think there's like 3 hours special features.

November:
This was another one of the films shot with the DVX100 expect on a bigger stage. It stars courtney cox and is actually a really cool movie. It has a bunch of behind the scenes footage but the best part is the commentary with the D.O.P. She describes most of the lighting setups in the film. Really great commentary.

Hard Eight:
Paul Thomas Andersons fist movie. This is not only an incredible film(possibly my favorite PTA film) but the commentary is incredible. Paul discusses getting his first movie made and all that goes along with that. Really informative not so much in a how to make a film technically like the Robert Rodriguez films but more about getting a film made and having a good attitude.

Slacker:
Richard Linklater's debut film offers some great special features including his first full length super -8 film as well as various commentaries. This was shot around 1990 and pre-dates the likes of Kevin Smith and Tarantino. This was kinda like the genesis of that whole crowd.

Cormans World:
Great dvd about Roger Corman and how he got started. More of a doc but you learn how he thinks about making movies and selling films.

Lost In La Mancha:
This whole film is one incredible look into a movie where everything goes wrong. It's really incredible to see a relatively big budget movie starring Johnny Depp that just can't seem to get made.

Christopher Nolan's Following http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/
Kevin Smith's Clerks http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109445/
Thomas McCarthy's The Station Agent http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

Hi All,

I thought I'd try and make a list of the films that I'd wished I had known about when I started learning about filmmaking. Most of these are super insightful and have great info on various aspects of filmmaking. Although some of these dvd's special features might be more inspirational than simply a teaching or how to section, but they are still incredibly helpful. I really think a big part of filmmaking is getting your head in the right place. They're many more and I'll definitely be adding to this list as I think of them. Please do the same.

EL Mariachi:

This is the classic example, coupled with Robert Rodriguez' book "Rebel Without a Crew", of how to make a movie basically by yourself. The special features on the dvd(10 minute film school, commentary) give great insight into lighting, editing, shooting without sound and many other great ideas.

Every Other Robert Rodriguez DVD:
This is really broad, and probably seems weird not to list it with El Mariachi but personally I think "El Mariachi" is the best example of the diy approach since on the rest of his films he has a full crew. All of them are still great though. Especially "Full Tilt Boogie" It's a feature length movie about the making of "From Dusk Till Dawn" Other RR dvds with great special features include: Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Sin City

Donnie Darko - Directors Cut:
The coolest feature on this is the commentary wit Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith. It's really interesting to hear how Richard Kelly thought out his script and his film.

Look:
This Adam Rifkins film has a great behind the scenes look into the making of a film made pretty much on surveillance cameras and all the problems that come along with that. Especially when he goes to shoot in a convenience store that now wants $5,000 to shut down for a few hours.

Roger Dodger:

I LOVE this movie. The score, lighting, acting, everything is incredible. If you haven't scene this. Check it out. There is an examination of a scene where they pick apart a scene that was shot in the bar. As well as commentary with the Director Dylan Kidd and the Director of Photography.

Broken:
This was one of the big DVX100 films that everybody talked about a few years back. I think it still looks great and is an incredible primer to all things filmmaking. Alex Ferrari really went all out to fill this dvd with special features on every aspect of the filmmaking process. I think there's like 3 hours special features.

November:
This was another one of the films shot with the DVX100 expect on a bigger stage. It stars courtney cox and is actually a really cool movie. It has a bunch of behind the scenes footage but the best part is the commentary with the D.O.P. She describes most of the lighting setups in the film. Really great commentary.

Hard Eight:
Paul Thomas Andersons fist movie. This is not only an incredible film(possibly my favorite PTA film) but the commentary is incredible. Paul discusses getting his first movie made and all that goes along with that. Really informative not so much in a how to make a film technically like the Robert Rodriguez films but more about getting a film made and having a good attitude.

Slacker:
Richard Linklater's debut film offers some great special features including his first full length super -8 film as well as various commentaries. This was shot around 1990 and pre-dates the likes of Kevin Smith and Tarantino. This was kinda like the genesis of that whole crowd.

Cormans World:
Great dvd about Roger Corman and how he got started. More of a doc but you learn how he thinks about making movies and selling films.

Lost In La Mancha:
This whole film is one incredible look into a movie where everything goes wrong. It's really incredible to see a relatively big budget movie starring Johnny Depp that just can't seem to get made.

The three best DVD extras, especially director/writer/actor commentaries, I've seen are for:
Fight Club http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fight_Club
Cabin Fever http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_Fever_(2002_film)
The Expendables http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expendables_(2010_film)

And maybe on a stretch Salt, but it has to be combined with reviewing the wiki page on its development to get a full appreciation of what changed script to screen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_(2010_film)#Production

Last edited:
The documentary "Empire of Dreams" on the Star Wars DVD Boxset (the one from 2004) might not tell much to the "making" of films, but it does inform people of the business side of filmmaking, and it shows how Lucas got the film off the ground.

The Making of Star Wars is pretty good for FX stuff, too.

Kodak Master Class Series (now on youtube!)

Anyone could confirm the following content is complete

Lighting of 'Dead Poets Society' with John Seale 28 mins
Lighting 'Dances with Wolves' with Dean Semler 29 mins
Studio Lighting: Comparative Workshop with Don McAlpine/Denis Lenoir
Shooting For Black & White
Location Lighting With Geoff Burton 29 mins
Shooting For Drama 55 mins
Shooting for Fantasy 55 mins
Shooting For Realism 55 mins

PS. I need to do differetn searches to get them all as youtube search gives a limited output

Back