Lav mic

Define "Low Budget".

The mic itself can range anywhere from $25 to $1,000.

The wireless trans/rec system can be anywhere from $150 to $8,000 (or more).

Those prices are for each individual system, and you will most probably need at least two.

When you get into budget gear there are a number of trade-offs, especially with wireless systems.

As you drop in the price of the mic you get decreased frequency range, more susceptibility to breakage (usually from sweat) and they are generally larger and harder to hide.

As you drop in the price the wireless system becomes more prone to drop-outs, RF interference and decreased range.

Any suggestions on a lav mic (just the mic) in the $200.00 range? I'd like something that I can plant or use with a vampire wired, and also move to a transmitter if I need wireless. For the wireless, I'm thinking the Senn G2 or G3 series.

Define "Low Budget".

The mic itself can range anywhere from $25 to $1,000.

The wireless trans/rec system can be anywhere from $150 to $8,000 (or more).

Those prices are for each individual system, and you will most probably need at least two.

When you get into budget gear there are a number of trade-offs, especially with wireless systems.

As you drop in the price of the mic you get decreased frequency range, more susceptibility to breakage (usually from sweat) and they are generally larger and harder to hide.

As you drop in the price the wireless system becomes more prone to drop-outs, RF interference and decreased range.

Thanks, Alcove. You're participation here (and elsewhere) have been a great asset to someone like me who is starting out, and sometimes confused by all the conflicting opinions regarding gear performance. Your posts are always appreciated.

FYI, I'm a greenhorn with a Sennheiser ME-80, used Gitzo pole with AT shockmount and Rode Fuzzy, feeding into an ART xlr splitter which then feeds both my bag containing a Tascam DR-100 and, if needed, camera mic input. The Tascam gives me my monitor feed (which I monitor with M-Audio IE-30s), and also supplies my phantom power to the ME-80. I have built my own battery pack for the tascam and I can go a full 12 hours on external battery before needing the tascam's internal ni-cad/AA arrangement. I stay fairly busy with just the shotgun, but know my capabilities are limited with this small inventory.

Next three purchases:
Hyper for indoor booming
Sound Devices MM-1
Wired lav for plant mic.

Further down as money allows:
Mixer (most likely Wendt X4)
4 channels of wireless (although I know the benefits of Lectro units) it's likely to be Senn.

Thanks, again.

Back