Kubrick's Fear and Desire debuts tonight

Uranium City

Pro Member
indiePRO
Stanley Kubrick's first feature, Fear and Desire, debuts tonight at 8:00 on Turner Classic Movies.

Fear and Desire on TCM

I'm no longer the coolest kid in school. I rented a badly bootlegged copy in Chicago 12 years ago and made a dub myself, of course. Of all the Kubrick ephemera the people I ran into possessed, nobody seemed to have a copy of this but myself. Very curious film, very ambitious, reminds me a lot of the Twilight Zone. Of course it will be easy to see why Kubrick never wanted it shown.

I guess he's been dead long enough?

I have a copy of this too. It's a weird one, so it will be interesting to see it in a higher quality. I wonder if it will be in HD?

Am I wrong? Wasn't this available on Laser Disc? I'm sure I have
it - double feature with "Killers Kiss". Or maybe "The Killing". My
discs are in the back of a closet - all 850 of them - I'll have to check.

Anyway, I'm watching tonight!

If you have a Laser Disc of Fear and Desire on a double feature with Killer's Kiss you are instantly my god.

Am I wrong? Wasn't this available on Laser Disc? I'm sure I have
it - double feature with "Killers Kiss". Or maybe "The Killing". My
discs are in the back of a closet - all 850 of them - I'll have to check.

Anyway, I'm watching tonight!

Officially, FEAR AND DESIRE has never been released in any home video format.... officially

Officially, FEAR AND DESIRE has never been released in any home video format.... officially

I have a copy of this too.

sonnyboothepirate.jpg

Aside from Robert Osborn seeming less-than-impressed (almost medicated, really), it was a pretty fascinating re-watch and a great restoration. You can see some of the elements of Kubrick's style in early, early form. What did the rest of you think?

Me hardy! Ahoy! If someone is NOT available to the public or even your region, my views towards "piracy" become quite lenient. See MARCH OF THE SWIVELHEADS by the English Beat or Brian May's STARFLEET PROJECT that have never seen an official release in the United States. Even bootlegg recording of concerts that are not official recordings to me are okay because you cannot obtain them any other way.

Make it available, and I will buy it.

Me hardy! Ahoy! If someone is NOT available to the public or even your region, my views towards "piracy" become quite lenient. See MARCH OF THE SWIVELHEADS by the English Beat or Brian May's STARFLEET PROJECT that have never seen an official release in the United States. Even bootlegg recording of concerts that are not official recordings to me are okay because you cannot obtain them any other way.

Make it available, and I will buy it.

I agree with you 100% (unless a band has a specific "no bootlegs" policy...if they are okay, or no public opition, trade away!). For years Nurse With Wound wouldn't reissue "Insect Individual and Silenced" because he hated the album. I bootlegged. He relented and did an official cd. I bought that. I also apply this policy to any "pressed fifteen copies and sold them out of the back of a van on midnight last Thursday" releases. If it's not available, I'll find a copy until it is. Then I'll pay for it.

Oh, and "March of the Swivelheads" I will always know as "Rotating Head" which was on the Engligh Beat's third album. I'm now going to have "Save It For Later" stuck in my head all day! :D

Oh, and "March of the Swivelheads" I will always know as "Rotating Head" which was on the Engligh Beat's third album. I'm now going to have "Save It For Later" stuck in my head all day! :D

The instrumental version from Ferris Bueller was only ever released on a 12" single in the UK, as far as I know.

You are correct: as a b-side, and a bonus LP that came with an English Beat compilation (the latter nearly impossible to find these days). According to Wikipedia, John Huges though the soundtrack would be too ecclectic to work as a record. Which is a shame because it works as a record for exactly that reason!

I'd also like a cd reissue of "The Last American Virgin" soundtrack, featuring Oingo Boingo's "Better Luck Next Time", but I think that's a little too obscure to ever happen.

Back