Just out of curiosity.

How long does it typically take you to write your first draft for a feature? When you get an idea that 'sticks' do you tend to type on end, any chance you get? Or do you pace yourself? Take it slow and spend more time considering all the possibilities and routes the story can take?
I was hit hard (in the face, with a crowbar) last night with an idea. I managed to pump out about 8 pages worth before I decided to try to get some sleep. My goal is about 100 pages. 'Tis a bit hard for me, as I haven't written a script before (not even a small one), but I feel the story demands it. :P

I'll probably have bad luck though. :(
*2 months from now I finish my script, just as a major motion picture is announced that has the exact same premise. I shoot myself.*

Edit: Doh! Just started reading Filmy's "4 Act Method" thread. Insanely helpful. Shoulda read it before I jumped in. :blush:

Last edited:
For me the actual writing rarely takes more than fourteen days, twenty-one if I get lots of interuptions. This is because I sit at the computer until I've cranked out ten pages every day. I usually aim for arount 110-115 pages, because I know that about twenty page will go in the first edit.

However, it's worth bearing in mind that before I even sit down to write the actual script I'll have put several months development work in. Firstly I develop character outlines on a spreadsheet where I identify who the protagonist is, what skills they have, what character flaws they have, a short back story, what they look like physically. I then do the same for the antagonist, the stakes character, the ally and the major supporting characters.

This character work is essential before writing because it shapes the story, makes sure that your characters aren't two dimensional, that you can predict what they'll do in any given situation and it makes sure that you actually know who the stakes character is! For me this part alone can take six weeks and is usually when I do my research.

After that I crack open movie outline and develop the plot. This is the hardest part of the process and it also shows up where you have holes in your concept. Like many of the regulars here, I now write to Filmy's four act structure, which just happens to fit perfectly into the Movie Ouline layout of 45 sequences. (This part of the process takes at least two to three weeks.)

So, when you add all that up, in reality the first draft takes twelve weeks.

However, the advantage of doing it this way is that if you get the structure and the characters right in the first draft the rewrites are a lot easier. There is nothing more hideous that realising that your second draft means major structural alterations, it's much harder to do than getting your first draft. In many respects it's like starting from scratch.

If you can't afford Movie Outline file cards work just as well; however, if you are writing a feature Movie Outline is going to be the best investment you ever made. I was making living as a writer for thirteen years before I wrote my first full length feature and I wrote three feature scripts before I ever made No Place; all of them would have been much better products if only I'd had a better knowledge of film structure. I think it's the hardest part of the process to get a grip on.

http://www.movieoutline.com/

Last edited:
I have a 300+ page script that I've been writing/modifying/rewriting for a year now. I don't think it'll ever be done. Of course, nobody in Hollywood would say "300 pages? Sure, sounds like a winner, here's 100 million dollars to make it."

I've read many filmmaker's blogs (including Kevin Smith's blog) that say 90 to 110 pages is an optimal length for a script.

For Rapture, my first draft was only 80 pages, then I gave it to another producer that looks at it at the audience point of view and he flushed it up to 150 pages, then I re-read it again and cut down areas that are redundant or it will be revealed later and back to 122 pages. We also include descriptive information as our script is for our own reading, we are not worrying about outside of our group to be reading on it so we decided to add description so all the producers will be on the same boat. After taking out all the description out of the script, it is a merely 90 pages long sci-fi/anime styled story that is what we want to go for.

I have no one locally to critique my scripts. I'm a one-man shop here (minus the cat).

I'd like to see some sort of private forum to actually post a script and have everyone download and critique it. Does this sound like a good idea? Would anyone be interested in this? Should I be smacked across the mouth for not shutting up?

Actually, I was considering PMing a few of the members here I've come to trust and asking if they wouldn't mind checking mine out (my first draft, or probably my 2nd when I get that far). I'd be more than happy to give my input on anyone's story who wants it (despite my lack of writing experience).

I generally pump out pages by the time I sit down to write. I like to formulate it all as best as I can before I actually start pounding the keys. I just started writing my third feature script and I hit about 3-4 pages in 2 hours in the middle of the night, the only time I have alone and am not working on my short.

5 pages a day...

Serjus said:
How long does it typically take you to write your first draft for a feature? When you get an idea that 'sticks' do you tend to type on end, any chance you get? Or do you pace yourself? Take it slow and spend more time considering all the possibilities and routes the story can take?
I was hit hard (in the face, with a crowbar) last night with an idea. I managed to pump out about 8 pages worth before I decided to try to get some sleep. My goal is about 100 pages. 'Tis a bit hard for me, as I haven't written a script before (not even a small one), but I feel the story demands it. :P

I'll probably have bad luck though. :(
*2 months from now I finish my script, just as a major motion picture is announced that has the exact same premise. I shoot myself.*

Edit: Doh! Just started reading Filmy's "4 Act Method" thread. Insanely helpful. Shoulda read it before I jumped in. :blush:
My first draft usually takes about a month...

Unfortunately, it doesn't start until 1 to 3 months of research and outlining... LOL.

By then however, the first draft comes relatively fast...

I tend to goal myself with 5 pages a day MINIMUM and on days when I can't stop writing, I just keep writing...

filmy

mrde50 said:
I have no one locally to critique my scripts. I'm a one-man shop here (minus the cat).

I'd like to see some sort of private forum to actually post a script and have everyone download and critique it. Does this sound like a good idea? Would anyone be interested in this? Should I be smacked across the mouth for not shutting up?

Not wanting to break the rules here but in absense of this great idea being used have you tried zoetrope.com? There you can post scripts and get them crtitiqued. You need to read a few as well but its a great idea.

Yeah a while back. problem with me is I never get to read scripts these days so I couldnt get much reviewed. however if you have the time it is a brilliant site with some very intellegant people.

They have also used it as a company to find screenplays and new talent so you never know! Good luck

When you use Zoetrope don't you have to waive some rights to the script? I've always been told to stay away from Zoetrope.

We have a screenwriting forum here. Simply start a thread asking if anyone would be willing to critique your script. You'll get some folks to read it I guarantee.

Poke

Zoetrope...

Poke said:
When you use Zoetrope don't you have to waive some rights to the script? I've always been told to stay away from Zoetrope.

We have a screenwriting forum here. Simply start a thread asking if anyone would be willing to critique your script. You'll get some folks to read it I guarantee.

Poke
I have an account at Zoetrope and I've read a lot of scripts and critiqued them... Mostly bad screenplays...

I have never uploaded one of my own screenplays because I have a couple of friends who's "ideas" were borrowed from readers of their screenplays and written into much better screenplays...

Sure, ideas are like assholes... Everybody has one but I would rather not share ANY of MY ideas with someone who might attempt to take the idea and write their own screenplay around it...

Only because for me... Coming up with an idea for a screenplay is almost as much work as writing the damn thing! I sometime take MONTHS to perfect an idea... The last thing I want is for someone to take my idea and write a better screenplay around it... LOL.

Worse screenplay? Sure, I can live with that... LOL.

I will agree worrying about this from professionals in the industry is not that much of a worry to me although it DOES happen...

Unfortunately, with so many non-professionals being members of Zoetrope and TriggerStreet, I would tend to worry about it just a little more...

filmy

FilmJumper said:
I have an account at Zoetrope and I've read a lot of scripts and critiqued them... Mostly bad screenplays...

You can say that again. In honesty though if you have a script or a short that you want critique on but maybe have no intention of doing anything with this is a good place.

I've never had ideas stolen (as far as I know) but then again I havent used the site in years and was always careful to only publish parts or elements.

Back