• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Just a concept -- what's it missing?

I don't even have a logline, yet. That's how much it's just a concept. Also, the concept is very obviously inspired by another movie (I'm curious to know which of you can recognize the movie I'm so blatantly ripping off), but I'm okay with that. Same concept, but different story, and told differently. Anyway, don't spend too much time critiqueing this; I'm just looking for any random thoughts any of you might have.

Working title: "In Service of His Nation"

In the future, America's military is born and raised to fight, literally. It's like the clones in "Star Wars", except they're not genetically engineered. They are normal human beings, raised from birth to be the ultimate soldier. This detail is key -- they are normal people. So, they have emotions. But they are isolated from "normal" society. They live in their own little bubble of a world.

Anyway, that's the sci-fi premise; here's the story:

John is at the top of his class. He is in his mid-teens, very talented and strong, but a few years away from graduating, to become a soldier. His best friend, Eric, is also the best of the best. They grew up with each other, not as friends, but brothers. Each "class" of soldiers is raised together, like a family.

One night, while John and his classmates are sleeping, a group of terrorists breaks into the training compound, intent on slaughtering an entire class of future soldiers. These terrorists are largely succesful. In one nightmare of a night, John is awoken in the midst of this slaughter. He fights back. He successfully fends off (and kills) the attackers, but not before they brutally kill every one of John's classmates (brothers). Needless to say, Eric is by John's side as they fend off the attackers, but he does not survive, and it is tragic.

So, at this point, John has literally lost everything. Those 15 classmates were his entire family. He's shellshocked beyond recognition. Furthermore, these soldiers function as a class -- John can't just transfer to another class; that'd be introducing the risk of one bad apple messing up the chemistry of another class that has been in developement for a long time. Cost-benefit analysis makes it pretty clear that John will never be a soldier. Yet, the military can't just release him upon the world. As he rests in the infirmary, speculation abounds. Will he spend his life in the brig, tossed aside? Is there any possibility he might be "put out of his misery"?

With this whirlwind of speculation circling the barracks, an older class, some mentors to the boys, decide to break John out, knowing full-well the court-marshall that awaits them. The break-out is of course a success. John is now free, in the "real" world.

He's also lost. He wasn't raised to live in a city. It's not very long before he finds himself in a dangerous situation -- street thugs trying to mess with him, or something. Little do they know that they've chosen the wrong teennager to mess with. With his uuber-military training, John makes Jason Bourne look like a sissy. He doesn't just dispatch foes quickly, but brutally -- at all times, his first option is to kill his enemy as fast as possible, and the average gang of street thugs are no match.

Within days, this mystery super-badass gains legendary noteriety. He's wanted by authorities and crime-lords alike. And, of course, the military is actively looking for their lost problem-child. On TV, pundits speculate that he might be an escaped soldier. This subject is a lightning-rod in the future political climate -- breeding soldiers is a highly controversial practice.

John is pretty darned-resourceful, and redefines well-trained, so he is able to survive just fine on the streets. But he's just surviving, not living. Until, one day, BOY MEETS GIRL. This girl is also struggling to survive the harsh realities of future inner-city life. John stumbles across her at a moment when she is vulnerable, and he steps in to help. Instead of thanks, however, John's "help" is met with anger. First off, his extreme brutality in dispatching the bad-guys is rather scary to this girl -- she has a hard time not seeing him as a monster. Secondly, she didn't want his help. Yeah, she was in a rough spot, but his violent ways actually made matters worse, so thanks but no-thanks, you violent jerk-wad.

In a later episode, they meet again. This time, girl sees John in a new light. This time, she sees that it is he who is vulnerable and in need of help. Plus, there are those news-stories, and all the public speculation about who this mystery super-badass is. Against her better judgement, she offers refuge, allowing John to hide in her apartment.

Cue full-blown romance. I haven't figured out even any rough ideas of how this section of the movie will work, but it's basically the John-learns-to-be-normal section of the movie, while falling in love with girl. He stays in the apartment the entire time (save for maybe one or two brief and fun adventures).

Eventually, of course, the bad-guys need to come a-knocking. Plus, he couldn't logistically stay in that apartment forever, anyway. I'm not sure what or how, but something convinces John to leave his confines. I think I'm leaning towards the girls' roommate -- the roommate gets into the wrong kind of trouble with the wrong kind of people. The roommate has been really awesome to John, plus, somehow the trouble that the roommate is in is somehow partially caused by John's being there.

John, with his special training, is in a unique position to solve the problem. He knows that this inner-city mafia will be no match for him. He can easily save the day, rescuing roommate from trouble. But, of course he'd be exposing himself to a world of authority that is aggresively hunting him, and by now, his face is plastered on every news channel.

Cue the big emotional "I Love You" scene. His girl doesn't want him to go; it's not his fault, she says. Yes, it is my fault, I have to save roommate. I Love You! I have to do this.

Cue giant climactic finale. First, he has to dispatch the mafia. Big task, but easy enough for him. Obviously, this activity attracts the attention of those he's trying to avoid. The entire citie's police force is on the chase, now. Doesn't take long for the military to enter the mix, as well.

Super-long extended chase-scene. John is running, and running, from those who try to take him in. At some point, he realizes the futility of it all. He's not going to escape, and in a moment of madness, decides to take the fight to them.

Through it all, he keeps his fighting tactics non-lethal. Acting on pure emotion, without even so much as a purpose, John storms the military compound from whence he came. By this point, everything is playing out on live TV -- OJ Simpson's white Bronco times ten.

Though John is using non-lethat tactics, law-enforcement is not. As badass as he is, he has started a fight he can't win. John is fatally shot. On live TV. At the entrance to the military compound. With his girl by his side. Of course they meet for one final embrace, as John utters his last words, "Thank You".

Yes, I know it's cheesy. Yes, I know a lot of it is cliche. I don't care. In my opinion, cheesy and cliche can be turned into something awesome. Anyway, I'd appreciate any random thoughts, no matter how big or small.

Thanks!

The only thing i notice, is there doesn't seem to be a change in Johns character, if we're going to be on a journey with this guy, i want to be on the rocks. Maybe HE gets into the wrong crowd for honest reasons, maybe the power gets to his head and he beats on the girl he finds. So when he wants out, they come knockin'.

There has to be that section of the movie, where OUR character, is blind to what WE can see. For this method of storytelling, it works like a charm.

In one direction it feels like it could be missing that Eric didn’t die, but instead:

A: Loses an arm or is scared for life. (Maybe John’s fault, maybe unfortunately left behind for the greater good of the unit.)

B: Captured by the bad guys and turned against the forces of ”Good”.

C: Both A and B.

So John in set up Super Hero fashion, awol and a fugitive of the law while taking on the terror cells at the street level (and any other MFer that gets in his way!), but it’s messy work, and that means breaking the law in order to get the job done and to survive in the shadows and on the run.

He meets HER and suddenly the world has meaning, but are his feelings and her words sincere, or is she just a cruel pawn in the twisted broken and disenfranchised mind of Eric, leader of a new resistance movement that hopes John will join them, but will also remove him from the equation if he won’t.

Then add a bomb or a virus or something (An evil master plan) to the mix, but in the end SHE is the bomb/virus.

-Thanks-

I like it, but break it down to just main points.

Seems you can compress some ideas.. how bout during the attack John makes his break then.. the back story of the training center is interesting, but its not really important to what you describe as the rest of the story..

If you must have a reason, I think and official heartless beaurcratic discharge from the military would be more sad..

LOW LEVEL COMMANDER:
"Solider, your no good to us, here are your walking papers?"

JOHN:
"Sir, Yes sir, but where do I go, what should I do? ...."

LOW LEVEL COMMANDER:
"You scored pretty well on basic aptitude.. get a job cleaning sewers.. now DISMISSED!"

John is tossed out , no skills, incomplete training..etc..

Those are all interesting ideas. Thanks, guys. Papertwin, you're totally right -- John needs more of a character arc. I need to figure out what that arc is. Buddy, I'm intrigued by this idea of Eric staying alive, but turning sour. I'll have to bounce that around my head. Off the cuff, I'm thinking they would stay friends after the attack, make the break during the attack (as wheat so nicely suggested), help each other survive on the streets during the first half of the second act (but we see their differences begin to emerge). They officially part ways at the midpoint of the story (false low). In the second half of the second act, John's new girl helps him rise from the proverbial ashes, until the shit hits the fan at the start of the third act, and then everything ties together. I think I might have Eric come back to the good side?

I also agree with everyone else for the most part. Take John's initial inhumaness to add depth to the story. Also I think Eric should survive and lose his arm or something but then starts working in the shadows of the military shit. And then Eric becomes like a Watcher over John, matching sure the military doesn't catch on to him too quickly. But Eric should make no contact with John to ensure his safety even more. I agree maybe the girl could be secretly a street theif or something and is helping the crime lords find John.

The idea of incomplete training could lead to character arc. Say for example, combat training is complete, but "social integration training" was to start the week AFTER the ambush.. John is completely unprepared for integrating with regular human society. Now we can watch him grow.. and arc.. from killing machine, without a heart, to killing machine with a heart.. ah, aint that sweet, make me all warm and cuddly feeling! :)

The idea of incomplete training could lead to character arc. Say for example, combat training is complete, but "social integration training" was to start the week AFTER the ambush.. John is completely unprepared for integrating with regular human society. Now we can watch him grow.. and arc.. from killing machine, without a heart, to killing machine with a heart.. ah, aint that sweet, make me all warm and cuddly feeling! :)

I'm afraid that kills the entire concept of the movie. He is never supposed to be integrated into society. Military is his society, from birth to death, literally. They are not allowed to leave the compound, except to kick ass and take names (and of course R&R on foreign soil). So, he's thrown completely out of his element.

Thanks for the ideas, though. I will probably keep your idea about having him escape during the attack.

Soldier. Kurt Russell....Am I close? A very underrated film IMHO.

Midnite

Finally! It's definitely underrated, but still very much a B-movie. One thing I thought was really stupid about "Soldier" was how they turned the soldiers into (literally) emotionless killing machines. That's just silly. To me, it's not even slightly realistic. A human being is going to have emotion, period, end of discussion. Nevertheless, I really like the fish-out-of-water story told in "Soldier", in which this killing machine has to learn to fit in with a normal society, and so that's the concept I'm pretty much just blatantly ripping off, but taking it in an entirely different direction.

If you haven't already you should read "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card (there are a number of associated books, "Enders Shadow" being the most applicable to your scenario) (I believe they are trying, probably very badly, to turn them into a movie). Similar concepts - those with military aptitude. Some, such as Ender, are actually bred for it and are taken from their families at a very young age and put into intense military training.

For your concept his love interest could be another soldier - the sexes are separated during training for obvious reasons - who is also drummed out. Their "quest" is what develops, and imperils, their relationship.

Hey I didnt say "social integration training" had to be GOOD training. It might be things like how to work a food dispenser or basic life skills that you dont need when your a solider.. but no offense, IF I like my idea enough, ill write my own script and show you! :)

Back