Journey West...

1. You are only going to one city in the US and you chose LA?
poke.gif
You crazy?

Please please please stop somewhere else, too. Somewhere with culture like Seattle.

2. How do you plan to get around LA without a car? Are you going to hire a driver?

I realize you're a Brit and a city-Brit at that, but if you can manage to get a quick license through AAA or something, I think you'd have the most fun doing the road-trip plan. Don't worry, we all drive automatics here, it's very easy, just stay on the right side :)

PS: Um, no offense to any LA natives, btw. I would have said the same thing about several places in the US. lol

1. You are only going to one city in the US and you chose LA?
poke.gif
You crazy?

Please please please stop somewhere else, too. Somewhere with culture like Seattle.

2. How do you plan to get around LA without a car? Are you going to hire a driver?

I realize you're a Brit and a city-Brit at that, but if you can manage to get a quick license through AAA or something, I think you'd have the most fun doing the road-trip plan. Don't worry, we all drive automatics here, it's very easy, just stay on the right side :)

PS: Um, no offense to any LA natives, btw. I would have said the same thing about several places in the US. lol

Ha! :D

Well I spent much of my childhood in New York and my Dad still lives there which gives me residency so I've spent months exploring the east coast. But the furthest west I've ever been is San Antonio.

I think I actually might have misled people by my first post on this thread which suggested I would be spending a few weeks in LA. I'm actually only going to be there for about 5 days and I'm staying with some family friends so hopefully transport won't be too much of a nightmare!

Never been to Chicago though. I'd like to go, the Art Institute of Chicago has the best collection of impressionist paintings outside of the Louvre. I'm sure there are other lovely reasons to visit as well...

I grew up in LA, it's cool if and only if you know the right places to go to. There's also a light rail/underground there now so a car isn't necessary. In fact, getting a car for a LA is a mistake.

I suggest not going to Disneyland or Universal studios. Might also be wise to avoid South Central.

I'm in Canada now, so expect increasingly erratic connections!

Will be heading down to LA on June 20th, I think, so not for a while. The weather is currently even worse that the UK out here but at least there are proper mountains!

I'm in Los Angeles now!

Canada was good fun and I'll post something about the film that we were shooting once theres a trailer online. It was pretty hot stuff and I'm hoping to be allowed to leak a photo of me operating *cough* the RED.

Any suggestions for what to do in LA? I know I keep asking this but I want to know what's fun. I went to Universal City today because I'm staying up near Mulholland Drive so it's pretty close. That as fun and then I took the metro down to West Hollywood and pottered around for the afternoon. My main question is: where are the cool movie theaters? I saw The Art of Getting By at Universal City today and it was pretty weak, so I'm looking out for neat little venues...

And I'm missing Wimbledon, which makes me sad. Come on Andy (Murray, not Roddick)!

I went to Universal City today because I'm staying up near Mulholland Drive so it's pretty close. That as fun
Damn. I was there today. Wish I had known your itinerary.

My main question is: where are the cool movie theaters? I saw The Art of Getting By at Universal City today and it was pretty weak, so I'm looking out for neat little venues...
The old Silent Movie Theater is now home to a great group
who put on very cool events. The Vista is a great theater as
are the Los Feliz 3. For great double features check out the
Tarantino owned New Beverly.

L.A.

We missed that last post... Directorik gave you the scoop on the historic theaters in the area. Also check out The Egyptian on Hollywood Blvd.

Last edited:
Small world, eh? Universal City (I only went to the city walk section) was fun. Not sure how much more I want to do there because I went to Universal Studios Orlando this time last year so I've seen most of the stuff. The King Kong 360 3D sounds cool though...

Thanks for the recommendations guys, i'll be checking out all of those recommendations. I walked by the Egyptian yesterday but there were just a few people in there and they all looked at me suspiciously. I couldn't find any showtimes or anything...

Think I'm going to check out the ArcLight today.

EDIT: By the way, what is a TAP card and do I need one? I'm assuming it's like an Oyster card, so will it save me money when traveling on the Metro?

I'm going to be in New York (2nd-4th) and then Boston (4th-6th) next week and would appreciate anyone having any recommendations for things to do in either of those places (but especially NY).

Thanks in advance peeps :)

To be honest, cos my dad lives there and I've been a US resident all my life, I'm not that interested in playing tourist. Plus, who needs Broadway when you can walk to the West End from your bedroom? :D

What I'm imagining in my mind is a little indie movie festival in a really trendy part of town, where I can watch movies, smoke Gauloises and not get served... That's the dream ;)

Back