Jobs on set - What would I need ?

Okey I know Ryan Connoly made a video about it but I want you personal experience.

Basically I was doing little videos and nonsense shorts but I decided to make my first serious short . It is about 10 - 14 minutes .

So I saw a pretty ''basic'' short and I though it was made with 2 people crew or something . Just a tripod and an actor .

But when I saw the Behind the Scenes there were about 15 people on set and everyone was working at their own thing .

But what I got is just a couple of actors and I'm usually doing everything. So I made my own Jib,Dolly and what not .

Im usually my own DP , I'm the director , so except a boom operator I don't get what else would I need to get on set .

I have a friend of mine who is doing the makeup but thats basically it .

So..With how many people are you usually shooting your shorts ? What they do ? What do you need 100% on set , without the director/DP .

Thanks.

Im usually my own DP , I'm the director , so except a boom operator I don't get what else would I need to get on set
DP/operator
1st AC
1st AD
script supervisor
gaffer
dolly grip/key grip
grip/electric
grip/electric
grip/electric
makeup/costumer
set dresser/props
audio recordist
boom op
craft services/caterer

Of course you don't need each one of these crew people - you know from
experience that you can make a film with two people. You can double up
on many of these positions - you can eliminate some of them. For me, this
is the absolute minimum crew I am comfortable using. Depending on the
production I will add several more.

For me, I have pretty small productions I will have someone on camera if I'm not doing it and then usually at least one or two people to help out with setting everything up and running little things for me. Also someone focusing solely on the sound or boom if needed. And of course the actors. Usually only around 5 people totally including me. These are small simple productions though.

There is a big difference between being a hobbyist/amateur and a professional. I have a couple of "mantras" or words to live by or whatever when it comes to professionalism:

The difference between an amateur and a professional is that the amateur learns from his mistakes, the professional learns from the mistakes of others.

The professional knows that the minute he stops learning he is no longer a professional.

There is just too much to know when it comes to filmmaking. If you're making films for fun then do them any way you want. But if you want to make films for a living you need to approach it in a professional manner.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that fledgling filmmakers attempt to do way too much. Just off the top of my head - and remember that I'm exclusively a sound guy - you need to learn to how to frame and block a shot, and how to light it. You need to learn the full capabilities of the camera and lenses, and how minute changes affect the look of the shot. You need to learn sound technology and technique, and how to boom. You need to learn how to edit, how to do audio post, how to do CGI, how to color grade. Then, of course, there's securing locations, insurance, budgeting, casting, scheduling, marketing and other details.

Oh, I forgot something minor; you have to DIRECT the film.

There are people whose entire lives are dedicated to just one of these crafts, and fledgling filmmakers somehow think that they can read a book, browse a forum or two, and they can master everything there is to know about filmmaking in one swallow, buy the right gear and it will work automatically. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. It took me more than five years before I felt I really had a solid handle on audio post, and I was an experienced recording engineer before migrating to sound-for-picture.

So if you want to be a professional you should be working on films sets. I know that this flies in the face of a lot of advice around here, but in my opinion you don't just dive in and make a film. You need to learn and understand techniques, watch professionals at work - learn from the mistakes of others. If you want to be a director you should have at least a passing knowledge of each of the crafts and "speak the language" so you can communicate efficiently with your department heads.

Get your ass onto a film set and do a job - PA, gaffer, gopher, grip, boom-op, extra, props, driver, AD - or any of dozens of other craft jobs.

The point that I am trying to make is that there are dedicated professionals whose entire being while on set or in post is to make your life as a director easier and to provide you with the freedom to be a director. Wouldn't you love to have a 1st AD or line producer who handled all of the logistical details? How about being able to tell a DP, or an H/MU, or a set dresser "I want..." and then be able to move on to working with your actors? Sounds good, doesn't it? That's what all those folks listed in the credits do - they are extensions of the directors creative vision. And great directors know that the people who work for/with them may have better ideas and are willing to incorporate them, or at least listen and try it a bit before saying "No" - budget permitting, of course.

To top it all off, you may find something that you love doing and make that your career. One of the most famous examples from film is Jack Foley. Jack was a picture editor in the early 30's. When there was no one in the sound department was available to replace sounds under Looped (ADRed) dialog he did it himself. He codified the process of replacing human created sounds during audio post and put together the first facility dedicated to the process. The industry honors him for it by calling it "Foley." He did well over two thousand films.

When I took my advanced Pro Tools courses for music engineering they also offered four weeks (eight eight-hour classes) of audio post for only an additional $200, so I figured "Why not?" I liked it so much that it is now my profession.

Well, I really got off on a tangent, didn't I? To put it into a nutshell, there are dozens of talented crafts people whose entire job is to serve the director, so the director can DIRECT.

Last edited:
While everything that everyone has said here is correct, it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

If you're just simply making your first film to see if this is something you want to do or to just "have a crack at it" then most of this advice is overkill unless you're some sort of rich guy wanting to splash around your cash.

If you're like most amateurs starting off, you're going to take on many roles yourself and get a bunch of volunteers to help with the rest. You can get away with 1 crew and whatever cast you want, but everything will fall upon you.

The trick is to work out what your weaknesses are and try to fill those weaknesses with people able to prop you up in that area. Next, you need to figure out what you can actually do yourself and fill what you're not with people.

All this also depends on your time table and the time table of the people you've already decided to work with. The more hands on deck, the often quicker you're going to be able to complete the task at hand (assuming it's all well managed).

That all being said, what you're going to need it going to depend on the story you're trying to shoot. A story about 10 people in a jurors room or a 1 on 1 interview is going to need less than an epic sci-fi action adventure made a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

As others have said, it really depends what you want to do, and their points have been spot on.

I'll just add the general standard crew I tend to work with as a bare minimum:

Director
Producer (is not necessarily always on set)
1st AD
DP
1st AC
2nd AC
Data Wrangler/DIT (on digital shoots - on film shoots the 2nd AC also loads film)
Gaffer
Best Boy
Key Grip
Production Designer
Sound Recordist
Boom Swinger
Unit/Crafty
Script Supervisor/Continuit
Runner/PA
H&M/U

Quite often we'll also have:
2nd AD
Dolly Grip
Grip/LX (as many or as little as we need)
Set Dresser
Standby Props
Extra PAs/Runners
etc.

That's your basic crew and it can easily go upwards in numbers from there, not to mention all of the crew who are not on set often, or at all like the Editor, Colourist, Sound Designer, Production Manager etc. etc.

Well yes,you are absoulutely right.

I don't want to do this just as a hobby , I would love to do this for a living . Everytime I get on set my ideas starts to get more and more complicated and I'm feeling that I just cant handle everything by myself.Thats why I asked.

I would love to work and colab with a lot of talented people the main problem is,that it is a small town and I don't think there is ANYONE who is professional and will be interested joining .

Don't read too much into what they show you. You see big huge equipment from indie filmmaker sets and it tends to get overwhelming. "Wait don't I need all that too."

You don't need a huge crew to make something great. It definitely helps though. I've seen great shots done by a 3-4 person crew and some wonky projects done with so many people working on set.

Well yes,you are absoulutely right.

I don't want to do this just as a hobby , I would love to do this for a living . Everytime I get on set my ideas starts to get more and more complicated and I'm feeling that I just cant handle everything by myself.Thats why I asked.

I would love to work and colab with a lot of talented people the main problem is,that it is a small town and I don't think there is ANYONE who is professional and will be interested joining.

You'll get professionals interested if you're paying the right amount.

If you're not paying, or not paying the right amount, the trick is to work out other ways to motivate your locals into working with you. That's a whole different topic.

Exactly what you need depends on what kind of film it is, both the scale and the budget. As said before, you're going to need a lot fewer people for a movie that entirely takes place between three people in an apartment and is mostly dialogue than you'll need for a World War II epic.

A good example of how to NOT go about filmmaking is Ben & Arthur. Reviled as one of the worst films ever (consistently in the bottom of IMDB's ratings), it's a gay drama made by Sam Mraovich. Mr. Mraovich was a hairdresser and real estate agent from California who wanted to gain fame, so he decided to make a movie for the direct-to-video market in 2002. For something meant to see commercial release, the film is nowhere near even the bare minimum you'd expect: the camera was a video camera on a tripod (of the kind used to film skateboarders, about as filmlike as something from an iPhone), and the framing consisted of either dropping the camera pointed at whatever it needed to look at and acting in front of it or handing it to an actor who wasn't acting and having them wander around filming everything however they felt.

Not only was it amateurishly done, Sam Mraovich insisted on handling virtually every aspect of the film. Not only did he direct and play the protagonist, he wrote the script and music (and made at least some of it), produced AND executive produced it (yeah, tell me how that works), edited it, operated the camera, and individually cast all of the actors. His brother helped a little, but he almost entirely took over every single aspect of filming himself.

What comes out is something utterly abysmal, beyond The Room or Manos: The Hands of Fate. By attempting to handle every technical and directorial aspect of the film he wrote by himself on top of acting, what comes out is an obvious rush job. They quickly banged out one or two takes as fast as possible, often being nothing but Mraovich and the other actor in a room with a camera, and nothing was consistent. There was no script supervisor or editor to tell Mraovich that you can't take a FedEx plane as a passenger, or that there are no palm trees in Vermont, or that he forgot to apply his wound makeup, or that a character suddenly goes from shirtless to dressed during a cut. There was nobody to listen to the sound and tell him that using the on-camera microphone wasn't working out. Nobody to operate the camera outside of whichever actor could carry it on his shoulder for a few minutes, and certainly nobody who would understand camera movement instead of just wandering aimlessly or badly framing and focusing the shots.

One problem that can arise if you take over all of the responsibilities or don't hire enough people is that not only do you get swamped with work, but there's nobody to tell you when you're wrong. If you make a mistake or a bad decision, there's nobody but yourself to catch it.

Back