• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Jacked - a neo/noir comedy

That was really well done. I sure wasn't expecting the ending, either.

I do think the actual standoff between the two went on too long. Extended dialogue is always an extra challenge, and it started to waffle at times.

Overall, though, I really liked it. :)

That was pretty funny. I like the guy in the back seats scream. I did notice that his position changed a few times depending on the shot, but that was my only beef :) Otherwise I thought it was great

ang <3

That was really well done. I sure wasn't expecting the ending, either.

I do think the actual standoff between the two went on too long. Extended dialogue is always an extra challenge, and it started to waffle at times.

Overall, though, I really liked it.

Thanks so much, Steve! You're absolutely right, it's a challenge to completely preserve the script when transcribed to the screen. I think I may chop it down a bit. Thanks for taking the time to watch man, I truly appreciate your feedback

That was pretty funny. I like the guy in the back seats scream. I did notice that his position changed a few times depending on the shot, but that was my only beef :) Otherwise I thought it was great

ang

Hi Ang,

Yeah, that was my first time shooting inside a car. To be honest, we had no idea how we were going to do it. I use a program called FrameForge to set up my shots in 3D space,then take a snapshot and add it to my storyboard. I storyboarded the entire film, shot for shot, and it was surely the only way we got this thing wrapped in less than 8 hours!

Sorry for these being so low-res:
Screenshot2010-04-27at41545AM.png

Screenshot2010-04-27at41600AM.png

Screenshot2010-04-27at41614AM.png

Screenshot2010-04-27at41630AM.png

The guy in the back seat is primarily a puppeteer, so he needed a lot of direction while blocking the shots. He also didn't speak loudly enough and that had to be prominently corrected during our audio mix. Regardless, we had a ton of fun and I'm super happy you enjoyed it!

How did you get Keanu Reeves for this project?

Critique:

Sound effects:

Footsteps up to the car were a bit awkward. Make him stop with a foot shuffle, not a step because no-one stops with a step. Take note when you walk up to your car next time.

One line: "10:30 every morning, thursdays." caught my attention.

Otherwise, good job. Good sound - can hear every word.

I remember this! So glad you managed to pull it off.

Perhaps now YOU could write ME tutorial on shooting inside a car!

Great work...your actors were superb, the cutting is sharp, the look is great. So excited to finally see it after reading the script...what, 12 months ago?

Cool and witty. Only problem was the sound at some points seemed to drop for me. Also the dialogue seemed to a bit over the top at points near the beginning mostly but it also lingered throughout the whole.

Nice job, man.

Absolutely loved it. Great plot, extremely funny and well directed. The only thing, and note that it was not significant, was a lighting issue inside the car, where we can clearly the the lights on one of the actors while not illuminating the rest of the car in a consistent way.
Other then that, loved it!

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone! Thank you for taking the time to watch my film. :)

lol, that was entertaining. nice job!

wouldve like to see some more masters.

I definitely would have too. This was something I had to do differently that was breaking the rules, but I shot all the masters last. We ran two cameras to get the OTS's, as I didn't want to lose the freshness of the dialogue on the wides. You're absolutely correct though, I can see how you can easily get cramped in the car for a long period of time. Haha

I remember this! So glad you managed to pull it off.

Perhaps now YOU could write ME tutorial on shooting inside a car!

Great work...your actors were superb, the cutting is sharp, the look is great. So excited to finally see it after reading the script...what, 12 months ago?

Hey man, thank you SO much for helping me out with this. You definitely got my mind chugging away. I must say, storyboarding is key to making the shots look the way you want them to be. I spent a few days with the AD moving the camera around in a smaller car (we rented the one that's in the film), and we couldn't quite get it. I went home and set up the stage in FrameForge and managed get some tight shots by pulling the camera far away and zooming in. It was very tricky with the windows, and it sure would have helped if we had a scripty on set, but we got what we could in the 8 hours we had to shoot.

And haha, yes, it was definitely about a year ago when we started talking about this. You really have to play every role in filmmaking if you want to get what you want. It was the scariest thing not knowing if the car would show up to set, or if the location fell through (we donated a few hundred bucks to an elementary school to rent out their underground garage on a Saturday). It got pretty scary, but the entire thing cost less than $500 and I still got to feed everyone. You definitely know you got everything you can get when you're a PA and a director on your own set.

Thanks so much for the support man, I'm very appreciative. :)

Hmm, that FrameForge looks interesting. Will have to look that one up.

Going to be submitting this anywhere, btw?

Hey Steve! I submitted to the Enzian Film Slam in Orlando, Florida and it placed 3rd. I feel very fortunate that it even screened! Any suggestions on where this would appropriately fit?

Absolutely loved it. Great plot, extremely funny and well directed. The only thing, and note that it was not significant, was a lighting issue inside the car, where we can clearly the the lights on one of the actors while not illuminating the rest of the car in a consistent way.
Other then that, loved it!

Thank you so much Pedro! Though we had an Arri light kit and a diva, we were struggling a bit to light the inside of the car. I remember them hanging a bulb through the sun roof and shining the diva through the windshield. Also, I blue'd up the color in post. The garage was very orangey. Definitely learned a lot from this one, and will clean up these areas in the future. Thanks!

Last edited:
Also, I was very fortunate to have someone run BTS through the shoot. I just had to upload it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN3GSf3o30g

Back