J.J. Abrams Will Not Helm Star Trek 3

The Inquisitr

After watching Star Trek Into Darkness again, this time on home video, I have to say, damn that's a good movie. So I'm disappointed, while not surprised, that J.J. Abrams will be too busy to do the next one. Sigh.

Rupert Wyatt is mentioned as a possible replacement. Meh. I thought Planet of the Apes was okay, but I didn't love it. But that doesn't mean that I couldn't love a Wyatt directed Star Trek.

So who would you like to direct the next or a future Star Trek feature?

Thinking about that, I'm not sure who I'd tap if I were king. Kind of strangely to me, and keep in mind that I'm not love-struck with him as so many of you I.T.ers are, but Nolan jumps to the fore for me. He's probably too busy. And, I'd hazard a guess that he, maybe, has zero interest in Star Trek. But, Nolan taking over would actually get me petty excited, I think. Paramount, you could make him an offer he can't refuse...like, with lots of zeros at the end? Eh, I suppose he's far too big for Star Trek at this point.

Who else would be an exciting choice?

P.S. I hope that they don't make the mistake of following the earlier feature films slavishly, if at all. That would be dull as hell. I think that they need to either jump right up to dealing with the Borg, invent new kick-ass villains, or mine The Original Series. A war movie with the Klingons strikes me as something that would also be exceptionally banal.

Last edited:
Rodney Roddenberry, Gene Roddenberry's son who is also trying to get a Questor's Tapes TV series in motion with Ron Howard.

Maybe Rodney can do a time travel story to bring back the planet Vulcan.

Star Wars > Star Trek.

Sorry, it's true. Abrams is busy with something bigger.

I'd LOVE to see Rupert Wyatt take the Trek helms.

Maybe, someday, we'll see a Joseph Weindl Trek film. One can dream. :D

I'd much rather see more Trek movies than Wars movies, but it doesn't exactly matter to me who directs it. I thought I heard a rumor a while back that he won't direct, but will produce and still be creatively involved.

Good news: The Lens Flare to Picture Ratio will be significantly lower

Yeah, watching the Bonus Features on the first one gave me the vibe he doesn't like it, it was just a paycheck to him.

Yeah, he's said outright he wasn't a fan. Which worked out to him making Star Trek film that I (also not really a fan) enjoyed. And got me to give the tv shows another chance (found I loved DS9, still hate TOS and like bits of TNG but way too much I disliked to wade through it all). I'm glad for him he can move on to things he likes better, but do hope someone else picks up where he left off.

I'm also more on the Star Wars side of the fence. When Star Wars is bad, it's still entertaining action and fantastically bad dialogue ("Only the Sith deal in absolutes" is one of my favorites). When Star Trek is bad, it's just kinda boring. But they both have some really great things in there. The DS9 episode "In The Pale Moonlight" definitely ranks on my list of favorite things ever (the Nog gets PTSD arc was pretty great too)

If he wasn't a fan then why the heck did he make the movie? :P

I wonder who will replace him, although I really don't care that much as long as the film will be good! I'm kinda glad that he's stepping down, even though he's one of my favorite directors I hate his overuse of lens flares...

I love Rise of the Planet of the Apes, and Rupert Wyatt I think is actually a better director. Abrams is okay, but sometimes his style can be a bit overdone in my opinion. Star Trek: Into Darkness was fairly good, and the first one was bad in my opinion.

Maybe Rupert can make it better, maybe not, but so far I like him better and do not mind him replacing Abrams possibly.

Heck, why not let Lenord Nemoy direct the next movie? I think he would do a fine job.

Hey, that's probably true.

I'm a little disappointed to hear that Abrams doesn't even like Trek. However, it reminds of how, when I was a kid, I thought John Byrne was the bomb among comic book artists. I thought John Bryrne illustrating The X-Men was pretty much the ultimate in comic book achievement. Then, when he left The X-Men for The Fantastic Four, I thought that was disappointment enough. But what was even worse was reading that he said, if I remember correctly, that he didn't even much care for The X-Men, that he never really understood them. Say what?! It felt sort of like a slap in the face, figuratively or melodramatically speaking, anyway. And that was years and years ago. Maybe I didn't read that right, or maybe I didn't get that it was more nuanced than that.

Oh well, did that erase all of the great work he had done with and for The X-Men? Nah. Did it mean that The X-Men weren't so great after all because Mr. Byrne seemed to more-or-less say so? Nah. So all along he was "just" a hired gun who was actually pining away for another super team? It was and is still disappointing to me. And yet, those books still rock. So there, JB.

But I still think that Abrams breathed some needed life and vigor into Star Trek. And Into Darkness is an excellent film, whether he cares for Trek, or not. At least he didn't put any Jar Jar Binks in the two he made. =)

Last edited:
Nimoy's "Voyage Home" is actually my favorite of all the pre-Abrams Treks, so I'd love to see him take helm. However, I don't think his version of Trek would be the major blockbuster that Abrams has delivered, and at the end of the day, money is bottom-line for the studios. So, I think we can forget about someone like him being hired (would satisfy the Trekkies, but not "regular" audience members). I think we can expect an action-y director. Let's just hope we get someone like Wyatt who seems to be able to deliver action with emotional substance and smart social commentary.

What has Wyatt done besides Rise? I haven't seen it... In part because I just didn't want see the Conquest/Watts Riot era to be "reimagined" out of cultural memory. But if Craker thinks he can deliver action with emotional substance and smart social commentary-- then I guess I need to watch another Apes flick. Or are we atalking about a different Wyatt?

What has Wyatt done besides Rise? I haven't seen it... In part because I just didn't want see the Conquest/Watts Riot era to be "reimagined" out of cultural memory. But if Craker thinks he can deliver action with emotional substance and smart social commentary-- then I guess I need to watch another Apes flick. Or are we atalking about a different Wyatt?

No, I haven't seen anything else directed by Wyatt, so let's hope "Apes" wasn't a flash in the pan.

I grew up a MAJOR fan of the original series, and I gotta say that this new movie is astounding. It turns the original series on it's ears, in a really great way. Caesar's transformation from innocent child to revolutionary is an emotional whirlwind that must be seen! :yes:

Back