Is This Place Legit? Right Camera For Me?

http://www.us1photo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3906

id like to get that camera to begin filming things although im not sure there isnt something out there that will get that REAL MOVIE film look that i want that would be cheaper. anyone know of any other cameras that would be a better choice for me?

is the film look more achieved through the camera or effects used after its on your computer?

also, is that place legit? anyone know where it can be had for the lowest price but not some shady online retailer...?

I don't see anything about that vendor that looks shady. The price is about right for that camera, and all of the accessories are listed as part of the package.

The film look has been discussed at length on this and other forums. First and foremost, you'll get a cinematic look to your video through good lighting, smooth camera movement, selective focus, and lots of experience in setting up shots and paying attention to detail. The other really important thing is audio quality. Audio is just as important as the visual quality. Having a good quality camera comes into play, but knowing your camera is probably more important. 24p is only a small part of the equation, and some things can be done in post, but nothing you can do in post will make up for (a lack of) good lighting and shooting discipline, knowledge, experience, etc.

That's the synopsis. You can find out a lot more by searching the web.

Doug

yeah, all good points. the thing about lighting and that type of thing is the things im going to be filming probably will be outside so i guess it would be more or less out of my hands...(skateboarding and snowboarding).

if i get some shorts or something together though....definitely will remember that.

I have the DVX 100a. Right now I am shooting in SD, but that is about to change, but along with all the other stuff you are asking, I think it couldn't hurt to "trick out" your set up, but you have to figure out what you really need.

On package #3:

I am finding that I would like a wide angle lens, but a telephoto? I don't know...

There are some cases that have to be cut to fit. If you don't know how or where to go, maybe a custom case might be in order. Mine was about $300, but then like I said, do you really need the telephoto lens?

The tripod: I looked at the features and it didn't say anything about the "head" which would lead me to believe that maybe it is sold separately as most are. What's the point of getting the tripod if there's no head unless you already have one? And you need a "fluid" head.

The video light: I think you need one, but you don't want a heavy one...well, I didn't. I didn't want one with the big heavy battery that I would have to carry around, especially when the camera is so light and maneuverable (sp?).

I am thinking compare all the things you get with say package #2 to the same things at B&H Photo Video and see what your numbers are.

At B&H, you can get a tripod system. It means the tripod will come with the head and you can get fluid heads. It will cost about the same as it would if you buy the head and tripod separately. By the way: look at Bogen-Manfrotto tripod systems, they are well respected, durable and more affordable than having to buy another one because the first one sucks. Look over the prices, but a system with a good fluid head, I spent about $300.

Look up on-camera lights as well and try to find one that is light and that won't add too much weight to the camera itself. There are time when I really have to one-hand my camera :eek: you want it to be light.

As for the expensive hard case for the camera, well, I figured for a camera this important, I better take care of it, so I invested in the hard custom case and I am glad I did. Its heavy, but I think it is worth it (I don't even use the soft case that came with the camera)

Tapes are relatively inexpensive in view of everything else. 10 60minute professional grade Panasonic tapes (that's what I use) are about $35 bucks (2 boxes of 5) and you can re-use them for awhile if you have to and they stand up pretty well.

In my opinion, start off with good equipment, because if you are independent, you will be cutting corners everywhere else. Don't skimp on the important stuff and don't get things you don't need. Worry about luxuries later and get the things you will be using right away....

...oh, yeah! Get a tape rewinder and a battery charger. You'll be glad you did, and they aren't that expensive, $35 bucks...maybe...

-- spinner :cool:

Last edited:
I'm going with "bunch of ass-clowns". :cool:

I haven't updated my list of scamming gray-market websites in years, but the website looks supsiciously similar to the dozens of shady websites that have plagued the 'net.

Royal Camera, Express Camera, Genius Cameras, Save-Here, etc (some of whom have appear to have abandoned their sites, it appears. Been a while, like I said.)

I'll do some homework on it, but I'd wager they are part of the Brooklyn/New Jersey connections.

Hmm, part of US1Camera / us1photo.com / us1digital.com / Photomania

You can check 'em out on ResellerRatings.com

They do seem to have a high score... but I'm going with lots of "padding" on the reviews. The reviews start at the end of the pages, so start there & work backwards. Ought to be enough info there to help you make a decision.

I'm just not very trusting, I guess.
smiley_tinfoil.gif

You can always just be safe and go to www.bhphotovideo.com

That is where I get my stuff....

hmm yeah thats not a bad price i guess ($2,371.00 shipped)...im thinking its a much better place to buy this from. PLUS, no tax! and decent shipping prices...and its obviously a legit place...

i see they have a "used" one for $100 less...although when you look at its description its says its new in box and never been used...is this just like a returned one that technically cant be sold as new? would i be ok getting it? maybe just have a scuff or two? something like that?

yeah, all good points. the thing about lighting and that type of thing is the things im going to be filming probably will be outside so i guess it would be more or less out of my hands...(skateboarding and snowboarding).

if i get some shorts or something together though....definitely will remember that.

When using the sun to light, you choose where to put the camera, that affects where the light hits the subject in relation to the camera, therefore you are lighting the scene :) You're just not putting up the light.

Try to keep the sun behind and to the side of your subject or behind and to the side of the camera so the light either acts as a rim light (behind subject) or as a Key (behind camera). What you don't want is the sun directly behind either as the light will either silhouette or flatten your subject.

Look at people as you walk around town, ride the bus, etc... see how the light hits them at different times of the day and affects how the scene looks to you. Figure out what you like and aim for that subject, sun, camera relationship.

I generally am nervous about smaller vendors, so Spinner's recommendation to go with a lightly more expensive, but reputable vendor is a good one.

I've been buying from B&H for over 25 years. They are the place to buy, and they do stand behind their used equipment. If you had any problem with the used camera, you could return it to B&H. They will not give you a hassle.

Regarding your shooting, I don't think you really want/need 24p for sports. You'll be far better off with 30p. What will separate you from the weekend video shooters is how you steady your camera. Shooting with telephoto amplifies movement. If you want those great shots, you're going to need to be able to control your camera shake, but still get a wide range of angles and maybe some crane or dolly shots.

hmm yeah thats not a bad price i guess ($2,371.00 shipped)...im thinking its a much better place to buy this from. PLUS, no tax! and decent shipping prices...and its obviously a legit place...

i see they have a "used" one for $100 less...although when you look at its description its says its new in box and never been used...is this just like a returned one that technically cant be sold as new? would i be ok getting it? maybe just have a scuff or two? something like that?

"Used" from B&H is pretty good. $100 less? That's one really good battery, which you will need (I have 3) or 1 tape rewinder, 1 battery charger and a couple of cables (xlr's or firewire) or tape stock.... :yes:

I've been buying from B&H for over 25 years. They are the place to buy, and they do stand behind their used equipment. If you had any problem with the used camera, you could return it to B&H. They will not give you a hassle.

Regarding your shooting, I don't think you really want/need 24p for sports. You'll be far better off with 30p. What will separate you from the weekend video shooters is how you steady your camera. Shooting with telephoto amplifies movement. If you want those great shots, you're going to need to be able to control your camera shake, but still get a wide range of angles and maybe some crane or dolly shots.

well im not only planning on doing that...prob will end up wanting to film various things, thats just an example of something i want to do right when i get it... good thing it shoots in both

Back