Is there such a thing as too controversial?

i'm plotting a movie and the concept can be considered controversial and many people are actually tell me not to go ahead because the subject matter is too sensitive in todays day (involves terrorism) and obviously I don't want to compromise the integrity of my art but is there such a thing as too far or does film allow for it?

It depends.

If your film's success relies on funding from the general public, then being controversial could be a bad thing.
However, if you have a niche audience in mind or are just lucky enough that the controversy created by the film encourages discourse acting as free publicity for your film, you could very well get away with it.

Have a look at both version of "I spit on your Grave.", for an example of a successful but extremely controversial movie.
This is a film containing graphic reenactments of gang rape and which tends to induce a sickening feeling in whoever watches it (Read up about how many people left the first screen of the 2010 remake).
Ebert, if I recall correctly, said something along the lines of it being "a vile bag of rubbish".
Yet, it was successful enough to warrant a remake and still makes the top lists as one of the most disturbing movies of all time.

Unfortunately terrorism is one of those things which has been built up past the point of ridiculous and the very mention of it is designed to incite fear and hatred.

It is all in how you handle the subject matter. There is no such thing as too controversial. There may be something too controversial for a particular market or demo but not another.

Again it is how you handle the subject matter. If handled properly the controversy may make for a good conversation starter with an audience, or generate enough news/free publicity to turn a profit.

Do you want to make "art for art's sake"?
Or do you want to make a commercial product for an audience/consumers, albeit a very narrow interest group?

You can find a market for all sorts of "specialty" products, finding them and tailoring a product to their interests is the difficult part.

It really depends upon your goals and execution.

Last edited:
In Hollywood, it's looked upon as a publicity stunt for ratings. The more contriversal, the more media attention it gets.

However, when it comes to terror and terrorists, be careful on the way it is presented not to upset the wrong people.

Sex scandles always generates ratings and media coverage.

i'm plotting a movie and the concept can be considered controversial and many people are actually tell me not to go ahead because the subject matter is too sensitive in todays day (involves terrorism)
Are these people in the business? If they are and if they are
in the place where they can buy scripts and put into production
a movie then you should listen to them. Or look for another
producer. If they are not in the business perhaps what they are
telling you is their opinion and nothing more.

My next movie involves terrorism. Several distributors love the
concept and have expressed interest. Just last week one of them
sent me an article that was very similar to the story of the script
with a note asking me when we were starting production.

obviously I don't want to compromise the integrity of my art but is there such a thing as too far or does film allow for it?
Every few years a filmmaker "goes too far" - it's great publicity
and in most cases ten years later we wonder what the big deal
was. Ever seen "The Wild Bunch"? In the late 1960's the spurting,
flying blood was going so far the film was banned in many countries
and film critics denounced it as the beginning of the end of American
filmmaking. Today there is software available to 12 year old movie
makers that offer much more spurting, flying blood - we see more
on TV. Watch that film to day and you'll wonder what the big deal
was.

I can go on but you get the point. Film allows for it.

So who is telling you to not write this? Do you trust them to know
for sure what is too sensitive in todays day?

So who is telling you to not write this? Do you trust them to know
for sure what is too sensitive in todays day?

close friends and even an actor. It's mainly because of storys about Artists who speak freely about Islam or/and Christianity and get a violent backlash like death threats or even death or maybe just commit career suicide. so i understand the worries of friends. So again...is there such a thing as too far?

close friends and even an actor. It's mainly because of storys about Artists who speak freely about Islam or/and Christianity and get a violent backlash like death threats or even death or maybe just commit career suicide. so i understand the worries of friends. So again...is there such a thing as too far?

Clearly you are looking for a yes or no answer. Is that realistic?

Your friends, even an actor, say there is such a thing and your
story is going to far. You are worried about death threats or even
death. So you should not write this.

I do not believe there is such a thing. But I suspect you should
listen to your friends and not a stranger.

Clearly you are looking for a yes or no answer. Is that realistic?

Your friends, even an actor, say there is such a thing and your
story is going to far. You are worried about death threats or even
death. So you should not write this.

I do not believe there is such a thing. But I suspect you should
listen to your friends and not a stranger.

Honestly directorrik i dont think there is such a thing either but i tend to be reckless so I'm slowing down and getting some perspective and opinions.

Honestly directorrik i dont think there is such a thing either but i tend to be reckless so I'm slowing down and getting some perspective and opinions.
Then perhaps the more important question is;

Should an artist slow down and get perspective and opinion from others?

I think an artist should create. Not get opinions.

Yes, there is such thing as going too far:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submission_(2004_film)

The question is, SHOULD there be? I think not. I think people should feel free to say what they want, criticize what they want, DO whatever they want. I think it is the responsibility of artists to challenge ideas.

And for the record, cases like the Theo van Gogh case are thankfully VERY rare. There are lots of bad people out there, but thankfully more people get stabbed for their wallets than for the art they create. I was reminded of this because of Salman Rushdie making the news again (the fatwa against him is still active), but he's still writing great books (his most recent, The Enchantress of Florence was fantastic)

food for thought. I must say that i do believe van Goghs film goes too far in terms of its judgment and bias opinion. I believe more in an objective approach, posing a question rather than an answer. I don't want to preech in my work however nobody desearves to be killed for their opinion.

Go with what you want to do. Nothing is too taboo. You might piss off some, others might love it. If it's good it's good. If it sucks it sucks. At least you tried and didn't compromise.

Go with what you want to do. Nothing is too taboo. You might piss off some, others might love it. If it's good it's good. If it sucks it sucks. At least you tried and didn't compromise.

I think some compromise is worth the effort.

thanks for the responces its helped put things into perspective.

Last edited:
Back