Is there really a big difference between non-L Canon Lens and an L Canon Lens?

Like he said; build quality and image quality are better.

But, it depends on what size lens you're wanting. If you are looking at telephoto, then the L is worth it. If not, then it's not that big of a deal.

Yes.

But is the difference worth it to you? The best way to judge these things is to try them out yourself with your requirements in mind. Instead of buying, rent an L and a non L for the weekend. It wont set you back too much and you'll know which one you need for the job.

Also, differences that may be readily apparent in photography - i.e sharper corners on a wide-angle lens - may not even be visible on video with it's < 2MP resolution. Only way to know is to test with a particular lens.

Build quality tends to be significantly better with L though, and they are generally weather sealed so you don't need to worry about dust/moisture getting inside the lens. Whether that matters or not depends a lot on what you plan to do with it.

One significant difference is that L series zooms tend to open to an identical aperture at all focal lengths, whereas non L zooms have a variable "fastest stop" depending on where you are in the focal length.

For example, the 70-200mm L is f2.8 across it's entire range.

A non L zoom could be more like a 3.5-5.6 (5.6 at the long/short ends, and 3.5 in the middle typically.) Sorry I don't have a specific lens example for this as I do with the L.

One significant difference is that L series zooms tend to open to an identical aperture at all focal lengths, whereas non L zooms have a variable "fastest stop" depending on where you are in the focal length.

For example, the 70-200mm L is f2.8 across it's entire range.

A non L zoom could be more like a 3.5-5.6 (5.6 at the long/short ends, and 3.5 in the middle typically.) Sorry I don't have a specific lens example for this as I do with the L.

Good point and one that is usually missed when thinking of L and non L.

Fixed and variable aperture makes a quite a difference, especially when you're shooting at night.

It is not a hard fact since non L zooms also come in fixed aperture (eg 17-55) but as David said, there is huge tendency in L series being fixed aperture and non L being variable.

Back